NEWS: Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK

right, getting HDR , phew , from ultra, but 2 new purchases cliffhanger and Apollo 11 don't have it, no biggie, cheers
one weird thing, I'm getting youtube HDR finally, but in 480p on ultra , im assuming my phone can't handle more? as 480p highest option im getting, quality still great, could it be im getting 4k? but it not telling me?

There's a few possible causes. Slow network connection, it can take a little while to ramp up to 4K, some "4K" videos aren't true 4K either. Try some other 4K HDR videos (Digital Foundry are generally pretty good when they release them).
The stats for nerds feature on the YouTube app in Roku (Maybe the same on a Chromecast) allows you to see the resolution being streamed and network performance which is really handy.

I’ve always been a FireTV guy but been really enjoying the Roku this week. PQ on Goliath was better than the Amazon stick, less colour banding on clouds. Snappy around menus and the Amazon interface is better now too. Still looking forward to this 9.2 update.

I’ve always been a FireTV guy but been really enjoying the Roku this week. PQ on Goliath was better than the Amazon stick, less colour banding on clouds. Snappy around menus and the Amazon interface is better now too. Still looking forward to this 9.2 update.

Is this a recent update then ?, will have to plug my SS+ back in!.

Yes still waiting for this new update, hasn’t arrived yet.

Been flicking back and forth between Firestick and Roku last few days and I couldn’t declare a PQ winner based on Prime and Plex viewing. Roughly the same.

what are u expecting/hoping for with update?

what are u expecting/hoping for with update?
Details are in the original post and blog that it links to. I’m hoping for Japanese geisha screensavers and something that will make me crispy bacon. But I’ll settle for a new interface.

Details are in the original post and blog that it links to. I’m hoping for Japanese geisha screensavers and something that will make me crispy bacon. But I’ll settle for a new interface.

I’ve just been trying the SS+ again and I’m obviously gone mad. On Netflix watching episode 3 of Glitch first series and I’m still seeing judder and Uxío (Not Uxío I meant Audio lol) is coming through at 2.0 PCM not multi channel 5.1 as stated on the programme .

Does any stick match frame rate for Netflix at 24hz or is it all 60hz ?, I’m getting 60hz only from the firestick on Netflix but was getting 5.1 audio.

Perhaps you can jog my memory on this please ?, I’m talking 1080p to my TV.

Last edited:
I’ve just been trying the SS+ again and I’m obviously gone mad. On Netflix watching episode 3 of Glitch first series and I’m still seeing judder and Uxío is coming through at 2.0 PCM not multi channel 5.1 as stated on the programme .

Does any stick match frame rate for Netflix at 24hz or is it all 60hz ?, I’m getting 60hz only from the firestick on Netflix but was getting 5.1 audio.

Perhaps you can jog my memory on this please ?, I’m talking 1080p to my TV.
I don't have Netflix to check at the moment, I'm in and out. Have you got match frame rate switched on?

Roku in their infinite wisdom turned off frame rate switching for the Netflix app. I believe this was because the frame rate switching was triggered on the preview videos on the menus and was causing problems for users.
I've no idea if they'll enable it again, or give a toggle option in the menus, bit in not holding my breath.
All other apps frame rate switch fine on the SS+ though

Roku in their infinite wisdom turned off frame rate switching for the Netflix app. I believe this was because the frame rate switching was triggered on the preview videos on the menus and was causing problems for users.
In fairness i was getting lots of flashing screens and resync problems so maybe a good decision?

Arghh... I think I’m giving up on Roku and firestick now. I don’t mind a black screen for a few moments if it means perfect playback without judder. What a ridiculous decision on Roku’s part to disable match frame rate for Netflix users.

I don't have Netflix to check at the moment, I'm in and out. Have you got match frame rate switched on?

Yes, but as mentioned now it doesn’t matter. Urghh.

I couldn't find Uxio but other programs play in 5.1 fine for me

Uxío ?. I’m just watching another episode of Glitch but via my sky q box, motion looks fine at 50hz...

Uxío ?. I’m just watching another episode of Glitch but via my sky q box, motion looks fine at 50hz...
You typed it man!

Audio is very hurt, darned auto correct :)

Damn lol!. Never noticed that !.

Ok when I said motion looked fine via sky Q it has no judder but seems to have SOE at 50hz, like watching neighbours!.

So, do I need to buy an ATV now ?.

So, do I need to buy an ATV now ?.
Let's wait and see if they release a new one in a couple of weeks to coincide with their new streaming service. Patience grasshopper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom