NEWS: Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK

jwsg

There's a good lot of 4K stuff on Amazon and Netflix. Originals on ATV+ will be 4K so it depends on when the apple app is available, but for Disney+ there's no UK date yet. If the apple app supports Itunes movies then thats another great way to get 4K content.

kahlua

will these support atmos?

Toon Army

Any chance of a comparative review by Steve of the latest top end streaming devices now available, due to consumers increasingly resorting to these as their primary means of sourcing content.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I think they need to do some work on the Amazon app, it’s really dated and last time I tried it didn’t do HDR.

Alexa integration is available in the US would be nice if we got it.

Love the pricing of these devices.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
That's more down to Amazon to sort, so who knows if that'll ever get done it does do HDR if you find the right version of the show
Good to here, haven’t tried for a few months. Only brought it back because of the impending update. Generally I’ll use the firestick.

NYCFCFan

I am waiting for 8k Roku

panman40

Distinguished Member
I think they need to do some work on the Amazon app, it’s really dated and last time I tried it didn’t do HDR.

Alexa integration is available in the US would be nice if we got it.

Love the pricing of these devices.
What do you think the changes will be to the new stick+ ?, I’m certain the fire tv stick has better pq than the Roku but I’m tempted to pick one up to try.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
What do you think the changes will be to the new stick+ ?, I’m certain the fire tv stick has better pq than the Roku but I’m tempted to pick one up to try.
Well at just 50 notes you can hardly go wrong. It is not exactly AppleTV money :)

I’m still waiting for this major 9.2 update but that won’t change PQ. You might be interested in the frame rate matching feature, which is an existing feature.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Well at just 50 notes you can hardly go wrong. It is not exactly AppleTV money :)

I’m still waiting for this major 9.2 update but that won’t change PQ. You might be interested in the frame rate matching feature, which is an existing feature.
Thanks, they are cheap that’s for sure. I don’t know whether to get the stick + or the box, I expect full specs are on the Roku site.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
For the sake of a tenner I would not think about it. The WiFi is better for one thing and you’ll be using that.

Not everyone is going to love the form factor of the stick. It’s like an ungainly USB stick with a flimsy power chord hanging out of it.

panman40

Distinguished Member
For the sake of a tenner I would not think about it. The WiFi is better for one thing and you’ll be using that.

Not everyone is going to love the form factor of the stick. It’s like an ungainly USB stick with a flimsy power chord hanging out of it.
True, I got mixed up thinking the stick + was the middle cost device. So will there be much difference between this new stick and the one I have now ?, presumably this 9.2 update can be used for the current model ?.

I will probably just buy one anyway out of curiosity, would I have any issues using one upstairs and one down regards remote overlapping ?.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Yes there is no new streaming stick plus. We should be getting this 9.2 update over the next few weeks.

No you should be fine with the remotes in different rooms. I just use the Harmony for mine and it works fine.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Yes there is no new streaming stick plus. We should be getting this 9.2 update over the next few weeks.

No you should be fine with the remotes in different rooms. I just use the Harmony for mine and it works fine.
Ahh ok, so no point in me changing really if it’s Just a small price drop that’s the difference.
I use harmony downstairs.

davidhunter

None of the rokus have Ethernet connection in the UK. Are there any other camparable streamers with 4k hdr and Ethernet wired?

dmk1198

Both Firestick (£12 adapter)
And chrome cast ( adapter Inc with power plug) let u plug in ethernet
I want YouTube 4k HDR
And Google play HDR and 5.1
Does Roku streaming stick do this please?

dmk1198

Thnx pal, other alternative would be Chromecast ultra
I have apple 4,KTV and 4k Firestick but they don't do what I need

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
I can't tell if the content I have is HDR. I'd have thought John Wick 3 would be but it's not triggering HDR.
Google app does appear to support 4K and 5.1 (through DD+).
YouTube app would only play JW3 in stereo, but I believe that's a YouTube limitation of only supporting stereo audio.

Edit: I'm not sure that JW3 is actually 4K HDR on Google :/

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
According to this
Only a limited number of devices seem to be able support HDR playback from Google Movies.
  • 4K Android TV models including Sony Bravia, Nvidia Shield and others
  • 2017 or later Samsung 4K smart TVs
  • 2016 or later LG smart TVs
  • Chromecast Ultra when connected to a 4K TV
When I get my CC Ultra I'll be able to check properly.

dmk1198

right, getting HDR , phew , from ultra, but 2 new purchases cliffhanger and Apollo 11 don't have it, no biggie, cheers
one weird thing, I'm getting youtube HDR finally, but in 480p on ultra , im assuming my phone can't handle more? as 480p highest option im getting, quality still great, could it be im getting 4k? but it not telling me?

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
There's a few possible causes. Slow network connection, it can take a little while to ramp up to 4K, some "4K" videos aren't true 4K either. Try some other 4K HDR videos (Digital Foundry are generally pretty good when they release them).
The stats for nerds feature on the YouTube app in Roku (Maybe the same on a Chromecast) allows you to see the resolution being streamed and network performance which is really handy.

Latest news

Netflix gets subscriber boost ahead of rival's challenge
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Galaxy S10 bug unlocks phone for anyone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple TV app now available on Roku devices
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces 360 Reality Audio tracks available in Autumn
  • By Andy Bassett