NEWS: Roksan introduces Attessa audio equipment range

Good looking product line, BluOS integration brings really good flexibility. Looking forward to AV forums reviews. Roksan say designed and engineered in the UK, I’m assuming manufactured overseas?

Good looking product line, BluOS integration brings really good flexibility. Looking forward to AV forums reviews. Roksan say designed and engineered in the UK, I’m assuming manufactured overseas?

Stll made in the UK I think, I have an old TT that is made in Wales. They were made in London and then Essex.

I am not sure what happened after they have been acquired by Monitor Audio. Their website still has a 'Made in Britain' logo:

I think the TT says assembled in UK, but looked at a picture of the back of an amp and think it says made in China, not that it should matter if the maker has good quality controls.

I think the TT says assembled in UK, but looked at a picture of the back of an amp and think it says made in China, not that it should matter if the maker has good quality controls.
Definitely the streaming amp is made in China. This article has a better image:

But as you say, it should not matter, but when the makers themselves go on about engineered and designed in the UK/Britain, then it only highlights the fact it is not made in UK/Britain.

Made in China.. assembled in uk.
As long as it goes through some sort of modification/assembly here in the uk you can put made in the UK.. even if all the parts are bought from China.

Yes understand, looking at photos I'd say
TT = asembled in UK (added to top of webpage key features description)
Amp, streaming amp & CD Transport = made in China (designed in uk put at the end of the key feats)

Yes understand, looking at photos I'd say
TT = asembled in UK (added to top of webpage key features description)
Amp, streaming amp & CD Transport = made in China (designed in uk put at the end of the key feats)

Designed/Developed/Engineered, Assembled, and Made are terms that are being used these days.

Companies now seem to only manufacture the flagship items in their home countries and outsource the mass market items to China. This has been going on with Japanese camera manufacturers for a long time. I suppose it is a way of scaling up production.

I noticed the Xerxes 20 Plus carries a 'Made in England' and my old K2 amp as well.

The Attessa models seems to be keeping in line with Mission Audio had said in 2016 "As Monitor Audio already operates in 100 countries, we believe we could triple Roksan's sales pretty quickly. The company needs modernising and bringing into the twentieth century, so my management team has gone in to sort it out." (Home)

Also, note Roksan had only 17 staff at the time of sale to Monitor Audio!

£1.5k for a 130w streaming amp, from well reputed manufacturer. Colour me interested.

Hmmm.

Positives: for a boutique relatively low volume manufacturer, albeit with Monitor Audio’s might behind them now, buying the rights to use BluOS is a very wise move IMO, as per DALI and others who’ve done the same thing.

Saves cost of R&D, and saves putting out a nice amp onto the market only to be spoiled by a flaky troublesome poorly supported in-house app that turns your beautiful piece of hifi into a doorstop in 3 years when your phone’s OS outgrows it.

So a buyer can almost enjoy the best of both worlds here: Roksan’s undoubted amplifier design experience, and with trusted tested streaming software that should continue to be supported and updated over time.

I did think that Monitor Audio’s acquisition of Roksan would introduce additional ranges that would complement MA’s speaker ranges. So this seems to fit firmly below K3 territory, complementing MA’s Bronze series (as per Roksan’s release photo). So presumably they’ll see MA Silver complementing K3 and MA Gold with Caspian etc.

It is noteworthy though that the power rating for the amp is into 4ohms, so slightly misleading, its 8ohm rating is lower at 80wpc, confirming its lower position in Roksan’s hierarchy, compared to the K3’s boisterous 140wpc.

Would be nice to see the BluOS streaming and digital inputs available in the next K3. That would be a mouthwatering proposition.

Also, I tried to see if the Attessa had AV bypass. It’s not marked as such on the rear panel (just A1 or A2), but Roksan’s website seems to indicate that one is fixed and one is variable, so could possibly be used this way. i know the K3 has this feature, and it’s why in my own set-up, the combo of a K3 and the BluOS streaming module from the Attessa range is appealing, especially as my DALI Rubicons are quite power and current hungry. But I guess I’ll have to patiently wait for that. The hardworking R&D engineers can only work on so much at the same time.

Hmmm.

Positives: for a boutique relatively low volume manufacturer, albeit with Monitor Audio’s might behind them now, buying the rights to use BluOS is a very wise move IMO, as per DALI and others who’ve done the same thing.

Saves cost of R&D, and saves putting out a nice amp onto the market only to be spoiled by a flaky troublesome poorly supported in-house app that turns your beautiful piece of hifi into a doorstop in 3 years when your phone’s OS outgrows it.

So a buyer can almost enjoy the best of both worlds here: Roksan’s undoubted amplifier design experience, and with trusted tested streaming software that should continue to be supported and updated over time.

I did think that Monitor Audio’s acquisition of Roksan would introduce additional ranges that would complement MA’s speaker ranges. So this seems to fit firmly below K3 territory, complementing MA’s Bronze series (as per Roksan’s release photo). So presumably they’ll see MA Silver complementing K3 and MA Gold with Caspian etc.

It is noteworthy though that the power rating for the amp is into 4ohms, so slightly misleading, its 8ohm rating is lower at 80wpc, confirming its lower position in Roksan’s hierarchy, compared to the K3’s boisterous 140wpc.

Would be nice to see the BluOS streaming and digital inputs available in the next K3. That would be a mouthwatering proposition.

Also, I tried to see if the Attessa had AV bypass. It’s not marked as such on the rear panel (just A1 or A2), but Roksan’s website seems to indicate that one is fixed and one is variable, so could possibly be used this way. i know the K3 has this feature, and it’s why in my own set-up, the combo of a K3 and the BluOS streaming module from the Attessa range is appealing, especially as my DALI Rubicons are quite power and current hungry. But I guess I’ll have to patiently wait for that. The hardworking R&D engineers can only work on so much at the same time.
To be far, assuming a good power supply, 80wpc into 8ohms is plenty for the majority of speakers, in most British rooms. Even relatively power hungry ones. Speakers that is, not rooms!

Looking at the pics of the black one, it’s definitely the amp of choice for Darth Vader.

Would look perfectly appropriate in his Star Destroyer cabin for some chillaxing after a hard day quashing rebel scum.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s got one on pre-order.

Also, I tried to see if the Attessa had AV bypass. It’s not marked as such on the rear panel (just A1 or A2), but Roksan’s website seems to indicate that one is fixed and one is variable, so could possibly be used this way.
Now the manual is available to download it confirms the A2 input can be configured for AV Bypass - means the atessa goes on my shortlist! I still can't understand why Cambrige Audio didn't include an AV Bypass option in their new one box products.

Just came across this thread. I’m looking at buying a second hand Roksan K3. Some say ‘Made in Britain’ and some say ‘Made In England’. Anyone know when it changed, and which came first?!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom