NEWS: Q Acoustics announces new flagship Concept 500 Series

Navvie

The non setting gel between the layers of MDF sounds an awful lot like Green Glue.

I personally don't think the Q Acoustics brand has the necessary weight or critical acclaim to carry off such a high price.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The non setting gel between the layers of MDF sounds an awful lot like Green Glue.

I personally don't think the Q Acoustics brand has the necessary weight or critical acclaim to carry off such a high price.

I think that you are missing the point. Q Acoustics have won a reputation for giving consumers a lot more value for money compared to their competitors who have become complacent enough to rely upon their name to substantiate the pricing of products. Who cares who made it if the speakers trounce similarly priced products from other manufacturers? Someone spending this amount on speakers is more than likely going to be auditioning prior to purchase. Are you suggesting they'll simply ignore the Q Acoustic speakers because they are made by Q Acoustics in favoutr of purchasing speakers that sound less impressive, but manufactured by a manufacturer who's pricing is more reflective of their name than what has actually gone into the manufacture of those speakers? Their competitors would probably be charging you substantially more for much the same speakers if they were making and marketing them.

The gel stuff is actually angel snot :lesson:

Last edited:

Navvie

THeir competitors would probably be charging you substantially more for much the same speakers if they were making and marketing them.
True. I didn't consider what other premium brands might charge for a similarly constructed speaker.

I hope with these speakers QA are able to replicate the success they had at the budget end of the market. The 1030i/1000i set up that I had until recently sounded far better than the price tag ever would have you believe.

Last edited:

chile62

Are you suggesting they'll simply ignore the Q Acoustic speakers because they are made by Q Acoustics in favoutr of purchasing speakers that sound less impressive, but manufactured by a manufacturer who's pricing is more reflective of their name than what has actually gone into the manufacture of those speakers?
I imagine quite a few people will do precisely that!

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Q Acoustics isn't stupid- they know that their credibility at this price point has to be earned. Any customer that sees them in the flesh and hears them in a reasonable setup is going to know they are competitive with anything at the same price. As the most subjective part of any system, some people might choose another speaker and some might reject them because they have a Q on the front. I suspect that very few of that latter group will honestly say they weren't competitive with what they ended up buying.

finkaudio

Standard Member

....let's wait and see. The brand started in the budget area, but that does not mean the development team only does budget. :). The non-setting glue between MDF is not new...but nobody said so. This sandwich is working like a bandpass and so the trick is to combine the sandwich with bracing and shift it into the right area. It helps a lot to have a Scanning Vibrometer sitting in the lab and a working simulation model on the computer to get it right......not the typical budget_speaker_development_equipment, but now, as we got it, we have a tendency to use it :).

Last edited:

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
He's far too polite to admit to it but 'finkaudio' knows a thing or two about the business of making speakers and has had a hand in an unfeasibly large number of highly regarded models.

chile62

I imagine quite a few people will do precisely that!
I should have added to my quote - and it may be to their detriment if they make that decision.

I've not heard these or the other concept speakers but it's refreshing to see a big brand trying something different and potentially better at competitive price points.

Doomlord_uk

Cable elevators? Really?? How can we take this company seriously when they use cable elevators? ...

Member 729553

Cable elevators? Really?? How can we take this company seriously when they use cable elevators? ...

Hello Doomlord_uk

Thanks for joining in the discussion about the upcoming Q Acoustics Concept 500 speakers.

You can be assured that we are extremely serious about every model we produce; be they the £100 per pair 2010i, right up to, and including, the new £3600 per pair Concept 500.

Given your (perfectly healthy) scepticism; we're grateful Ed Selley didn't mention in his report that the cabinets, as well benefiting greatly from Dual-Gelcore construction, are damped internally with measured strands of 'Unicorn's tail hair' :) *

Best regards

Q Acoustics

* We're not joking - it actually does contain 'Unicorn Hair' !!! :)

'Unicorn Tail Hair' and 'Angel Hair' are the recognised brand names/descriptions of two types of a special aramide fibre that is exceptionally effective for acoustic damping .

PiperCub

Banned
Hello Doomlord_uk

Thanks for joining in the discussion about the upcoming Q Acoustics Concept 500 speakers.

You can be assured that we are extremely serious about every model we produce; be they the £100 per pair 2010i, right up to, and including, the new £3600 per pair Concept 500.

Given your (perfectly healthy) scepticism; we're grateful Ed Selley didn't mention in his report that the cabinets, as well benefiting greatly from Dual-Gelcore construction, are damped internally with measured strands of 'Unicorn's tail hair' :) *

Best regards

Q Acoustics

* We're not joking - it actually does contain 'Unicorn Hair' !!! :)

'Unicorn Tail Hair' and 'Angel Hair' are the recognised brand names/descriptions of two types of a special aramide fibre that is exceptionally effective for acoustic damping .

What's the trademark sound of these speakers if you had to describe it q acoustics (or what is the aim). I saw them in the foyer outside your Bristol dem room but I didn't listen to them. I thought they were very well made.

AV Online

AVForums Sponsor
I should have added to my quote - and it may be to their detriment if they make that decision.

I've not heard these or the other concept speakers but it's refreshing to see a big brand trying something different and potentially better at competitive price points.
The Concept 20's are also very good for the money and fairly compact all things considered. If Q Acoustics trade mark value carries up to these, then they should be somewhat of a head turning product.

AV Online

AVForums Sponsor
Heads up for anyone interested, we now have a pair of Concept 500's available for demo. Contact us for more info or to arrange a demo :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Physical Discs?, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Top Bottom