NEWS: PS5 Hardware Details Emerge

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Just came to post the same article. Sounds great, can’t wait to get more info.

Scotland11

Hope they incorporate a UHD Blu-ray player with requisite HDR and audio support. It's one of the reasons I sold my PS4 and kept my X-box One S.

Demon Luci

Bring back Motorstorm and get it shoved in as a launch title - day 1 purchase for me!

Kyle009

I'm interested in seeing what the price will be. Already sounds like it's going to be expensive.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
They know the expensive PS3 launch price put many off, so would assume it’s not going to be a silly price.
Looking forward to this, the BFV ray tracing videos look pretty impressive ...

dutch1585

Custom SSD does sound very interesting, price will be crucial on this now.

I do hope there is a good noticeable difference, but I think it'll be more of a boost, especially as it'll play PS4 games.

Brummy1875

They know the expensive PS3 launch price put many off, so would assume it’s not going to be a silly price.
Looking forward to this, the BFV ray tracing videos look pretty impressive ...
I’ve been running ray tracing on pc with bfv it’s nothing special a poorly implemented use of the tech, and it kills the fps, hdr was more of a wow factor than this version of ray tracing imo

shoestring25

the spec of this thing is fantastic and expensive sounding. a pc with the same spec as this would cost £1500 to £2000 at the moment

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Hope they incorporate a UHD Blu-ray player with requisite HDR and audio support. It's one of the reasons I sold my PS4 and kept my X-box One S.
whilst id love to see that i wouldnt hold your breath...

Giburrows

Finally an SSD drive, only 10-12 years late.

I'd like an NVME option or at the very least a 2TB SSD as standard.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
The Digital Foundry article I posted on the other thread is well worth a read.
An interesting part of the DF video you posted was about the hard drive. If it's a custom super-duper SSD then swapping it out for a larger drive as people have in the past is going to be a problem. For cost I'd expect it to be 1TB but 2TB would be too expensive.

MS are going to have the same problem (hopefully, if they also go with an SSD). With the Xbox One you couldn't swap out the internal but could plug in an external (as Sony allowed with the PS4 later). If the games are written for a certain data transfer speed from the drive then spinning disk externals will be out of the question. An SSD external might work, but if this Sony drive is custom and faster than anything currently out there in the PC world then even that may be too slow.

The only saving grace could be that games aren't that optimised around data transfer speed of the drive. These games will share a core with the PC version (3rd party games at least) and you can't assume that every PC gamer out there has an SSD.

MEGATAMA

Already have Nintendo Switch,Ps4 Pro,Xbox one X and gaming PC so Playstation 5 is day one....lets game

terencejames

To be honest, I'm pretty bored with Sony's and Microsoft's hardware top trumps. I've had more fun with my Nintendo Switch over the last 18 months than my PS4.Nintendo are all about creativity rather than raw horse power. No doubt I'll end up with a PS5 but I certainly won't be queueing up for a day one purchase.

MEGATAMA

Is there any point to having the Xbox, as you can play the exclusives on your PC these days?
I put PC a side and moustly play on X this days because lots of games is native 4k hdr and thats good fit for my B7 oled.
I was gaming on pc for some 7 years before Ps4 Pro but now i much prefer console gaming.
All this info about Playstation 5 made me hyped

shoestring25

the harddrive thing has me most concerned SSD is great but a 1tb is about £100 now days while a 2tb is about £200. far too much of the cost of a console

also how will this all work with additional storage? an external mechanical usb 3.0 hardrive will be to slow to game from so if they support external storage you will have to keep moving games to the SSD to play them

Simba

think il just stick to PC and stay ahead of the game :rotfl:

Giburrows

the harddrive thing has me most concerned SSD is great but a 1tb is about £100 now days while a 2tb is about £200. far too much of the cost of a console

also how will this all work with additional storage? an external mechanical usb 3.0 hardrive will be to slow to game from so if they support external storage you will have to keep moving games to the SSD to play them
If an SSD costs us 100 surely it would cost someone like Sony half that when buying in so many?

I don't think there has been a game that has fully utilised the PS4 Pros power like GTA V did with the 360 and PS3 so I'm waiting to see this gen get something before I get hyped about another console.

Also if they do this "upgraded versions" again I might just stick with PC

steviedr

Distinguished Member
God of war was certainly doing something with the pro, was like a hairdryer.
Hoping for some decent cooling in the 5.

Last edited:

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
If an SSD costs us 100 surely it would cost someone like Sony half that when buying in so many?

I don't think there has been a game that has fully utilised the PS4 Pros power like GTA V did with the 360 and PS3 so I'm waiting to see this gen get something before I get hyped about another console.

Also if they do this "upgraded versions" again I might just stick with PC
Just out of interest, have you played HZD, God Of War, Red Dead or Uncharted this gen?

apolloa

I may, just may have to take a look at this machine lol.
I dunno but I find the PlayStation and Nintendo games to be better quality?

Anyway Sony did a very neat trick, they haven’t really given a whole lot away, yet gave enough away for you to know it’s a serious next gen machine built on as yet unreleased hardware. Although I don’t think many will care about 8K!!!

I’m also hoping that Sony will finally get with it, and put the wireless ACX standard in the PS5, Sony have historically for who knows what reason given its consoles rubbish WIFi specs at launch.
I’m also hoping they keep the same UI interface.

The most interesting of the new spec I think is the new SSD format they’ll be using, some say this may be a brand new spec that’s faster then anything used before. But I’m not sure if it’s faster then what Apple use in their computers?

Still games that load in seconds, powerful hardware, good quality games. And no doubt a £500 price tag..

I have been playing in my Switch and streaming on me Nvidia Shield over GeForce Now, I’ve got speedtests if around 66 to 73mbps, the fastest I can get to my house, now I’d its just me gaming I can run them at Mac settings 1080P 60FPS, but if someone uses a tennis steaming app that is only using 7mbps then that game streaming is heavily affected.

The UK has a long long way to go before we will be able to stream games at 4K comfortably..
I am currently thinking if they make a smaller Switch may get that, keep my Shield and get a PS5?

Last edited:

apolloa

They’ll sell the console at a loss, they always have, the moneys made up in the games.
The rumours are the SSD used is using a brand new possibly unreleased spec. But we’ll find out soon enough I guess.

I also have to Plus one on the cooling mentioned above, that’s one thing Microsoft nailed with the X, Sony have a lot to learn in this area..

Crafty

Is there any point to having the Xbox, as you can play the exclusives on your PC these days?
Is there any point playing on PC when consoles can do 4k and you can avoid the hackers / constant problems with making PCs run (driver issues, display issues, crashes etc) ?