NEWS: Polk Audio introduces Signa S4 Dolby Atmos soundbar

This looks interesting. I've been looking at the Sonos beam Gen 2..but this has caught my attention. How do you think it will fare against the beam?

I got mine delivered today. It sounds promising and the setup was a breeze. I tested the sound via Disney, Netflix apps on LG C1 and then on my xbox series x via the dolby app. After some configurations in XSX, the console confirmed that the soundbar supports Dolby Atmos and I tested some atmos demos via the Dolby app. I could definitely feel the atmos effect specially in the jungle/forest demo. The soundbar is loud, I didn't test it on max volume though. Still got to test the disney+ atmos movies and see if I can feel the atmos effect. If only there was a display that would say 'Atmos' when it detected atmos. So not so sure if it was actual atmos or the virtualisation. LG C1 was set to 'passthrough', eARC.

I got mine delivered today. It sounds promising and the setup was a breeze. I tested the sound via Disney, Netflix apps on LG C1 and then on my xbox series x via the dolby app. After some configurations in XSX, the console confirmed that the soundbar supports Dolby Atmos and I tested some atmos demos via the Dolby app. I could definitely feel the atmos effect specially in the jungle/forest demo. The soundbar is loud, I didn't test it on max volume though. Still got to test the disney+ atmos movies and see if I can feel the atmos effect. If only there was a display that would say 'Atmos' when it detected atmos. So not so sure if it was actual atmos or the virtualisation. LG C1 was set to 'passthrough', eARC.
What about dialogue on low volume?

What about dialogue on low volume?
Dialogue is pretty clear at lower volumes too. I have had Freinds playing in the background on Netflix for a few days and on a pretty low volume, dialogues are very clear. I have my soundbar setup for Movies, but there is a dialogue preference as well. Will try it later and let you know. But for what I have, dialogue is pretty clear

So I have tried a few movies on the LG C1 Apple Tv app. LOTR (atmos) , Ready player one (atmos). They all sound great, not so sure about the height, you can definitely feel the encapsulating sound (keeping in mind it does not have rear surrounds). on Netflix, watching atmos movies, going into the audio menu I can see it says English (atmos), so I think Netflix is providing atmos to the soundbar (tried Birdbox, Witcher, etc). On xbox series X, sound is much louder. The audio test confirms the HDMI out supports dolby atmos , the dolby demos work great too on the Dolby app. It does say that DTS or DTS-X is not supported. I am assuming Signa S4 does not support DTS or DTS- X , and is only dolby certified. DTS-X would have been good given that it is supported on Sony HT- G700, but it lacks upward firing drivers. Overall this soundbar is really good and the surround sound is very convincing. The subwoofer has quality bass and punch. Will be testing more of the atmos movies and provide update. Lack of display is a bummer definitely. I cannot tell what is the volume level (dots do not help), what mode the soundbar is on, etc.

Just spotted that there's 20% off this bar on eBay from Peter Tyson with 6 yr warranty.

LOVE20OFF

I've taken the plunge on one of these based on the comments here. Couldn't find any full reviews, but I am not realistically in the market for systems costing £1000+ (having not long ago getting a LG C1 and deciding to go a bit easy for a few months given cost of living increases, fuel prices etc).

My current soundbar (Sony HT-CT370) has served me well, and is actually pretty decent - but I wanted more of a surround sound that Atmos offers.

I couldn't find out what the power output of the Signa P4 is, but it's coming tomorrow and I guess I can try it out and compare accordingly.

I've taken the plunge on one of these based on the comments here. Couldn't find any full reviews, but I am not realistically in the market for systems costing £1000+ (having not long ago getting a LG C1 and deciding to go a bit easy for a few months given cost of living increases, fuel prices etc).

My current soundbar (Sony HT-CT370) has served me well, and is actually pretty decent - but I wanted more of a surround sound that Atmos offers.

I couldn't find out what the power output of the Signa P4 is, but it's coming tomorrow and I guess I can try it out and compare accordingly.

Actually coming Tuesday now.

Sound bar arrived and set up, and the sound is very nice. However, I am a little confused why the LG C1 doesn't show Dolby Atmos (like it shows Dolby Vision, HDR etc) when it does if the sound bar is off (internal speakers).

In the advanced audio settings, Atmos is shown ghosted out (but selected on) so I am assuming it is working, but how would I know for sure?

I have noticed what I believe to be a different colour power/on light (a darker blue) on watching content with Atmos.

The manual is basically just a quick user guide that doesn't seem to mention much at all.

Sound bar arrived and set up, and the sound is very nice. However, I am a little confused why the LG C1 doesn't show Dolby Atmos (like it shows Dolby Vision, HDR etc) when it does if the sound bar is off (internal speakers).

In the advanced audio settings, Atmos is shown ghosted out (but selected on) so I am assuming it is working, but how would I know for sure?
What is the vocals like. Do you have to turn it up to hear the vocals and down coz action is too noisy

What is the vocals like. Do you have to turn it up to hear the vocals and down coz action is too noisy

So far I've been playing stuff on Netflix, Disney+ and the like and everything has been great.

However, I've now put BBC HD on via Freesat - FA Cup (Middlesbrough v Spurs) and it seems quite muddy for vocals (on movie mode). The LED is now green, rather than cyan or dark blue.

If I switch to one or the voice preset modes it all becomes fine (3 is maybe a bit too artificially enhanced), but I'll need to watch some more broadcasts and different channels to form a better opinion.

Might take a few days, as I'm yet to actually properly sit and watch something (including something I've watched before so can help me make a comparison).

I would say that I am very impressed. I'm not sure how much the up firing speakers are contributing to the experience just yet, but the sound does engulf you.

Let's be honest, without rear speakers there are limits but I can live with it as I've not had a surround sound system for over 10, maybe 15, years.

Edit: if there's one complaint, it's that there is no proper documentation on things like the LED colours and their meanings. Much is obvious or can be worked out, but there's only a quick start guide and no manual online - and nothing in their FAQs or support site. I guess it's fairly new still, but it's still poor.

Last edited:
So far I've been playing stuff on Netflix, Disney+ and the like and everything has been great.

However, I've now put BBC HD on via Freesat - FA Cup (Middlesbrough v Spurs) and it seems quite muddy for vocals (on movie mode). The LED is now green, rather than cyan or dark blue.

If I switch to one or the voice preset modes it all becomes fine (3 is maybe a bit too artificially enhanced), but I'll need to watch some more broadcasts and different channels to form a better opinion.

Might take a few days, as I'm yet to actually properly sit and watch something (including something I've watched before so can help me make a comparison).

I would say that I am very impressed. I'm not sure how much the up firing speakers are contributing to the experience just yet, but the sound does engulf you.

Let's be honest, without rear speakers there are limits but I can live with it as I've not had a surround sound system for over 10, maybe 15, years.

Edit: if there's one complaint, it's that there is no proper documentation on things like the LED colours and their meanings. Much is obvious or can be worked out, but there's only a quick start guide and no manual online - and nothing in their FAQs or support site. I guess it's fairly new still, but it's still poor.
I've found the service manual which explains the colours, as well as details about the regions (which I don't think you can change without using the USB service port).

Blue is indeed Atmos.

Also, the EU models have auto standby set which is a little annoying - as it will turn off if there's no audio for a while (not yet timed how long it is). I have the TV turning it on and off automatically, so the auto standby means having to find the soundbar remote (or going up to the speaker), or turning the TV off and on.

I guess it's good to save power, but can't imagine it using much power with no audio anyway?

Perhaps there's a button combo to change this, but there's no mention that I could see. Seems you need a config file you 'install'.

Besides that, the sound is great and I'm very happy so far. Still to properly watch a movie though.

I bought the Polk Signa S4 a few days ago (to pair with my new Philips PUS8536) and so far I am very impressed.

I'm certainly no audiophile and I suppose almost anything is a step up from the sound I was getting from my old LG 32LH3000 TV!

Anyway, after watching a few movies I find the sound is excellent, the bass from the sub is more than good enough for my small 12ft square room and I find voices to be very clear.

There are 3 different levels of voice enhancement as well as the standard movie mode, night mode and music mode.

I haven't used it enough and don't have enough experience to be able to give a detailed review but I just wanted to stop by and leave a link to the full manual where you can see what all the LED combos mean (blue is Atmos) and the standby times can be adjusted.

Cheers,
Rob

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom