NEWS: Playstation 5 will launch with 4K disc support during 'Holiday Season' 2020

I wonder if they will release some new Move controllers with Haptic feedback for the PS5?

I wonder if they will release some new Move controllers with Haptic feedback for the PS5?

A patent that was approved on the 3rd October for a new PSVR headset also showed move like controllers that have cameras on them for better tracking as well as cameras on the headset itself, but like all patents there is no guarantee this is how it will be as they have filed a few so we won't know exactly what they do until they announce it.

Backward compatibility only really needs to go back to the previous generation. It makes early adopting more appealing. I am pleased they are talking about BC with PS4 games.

I am sure there are people that want to play pong on their high tech machine, but I think best product for them might be a gaming subscription service. Personally I have zero interest in older games. They are all basically crap versions of new games 😃

IMO, all they need to do is lockdown PS4 backwards compatibility. As already stated, it'll make the transition into next gen smoother and that's been their aim since we found out about next gen consoles.

I’m pretty sure your opinion is wrong as the market is asking for more backwards compatibility hence why Sony and Microsoft invest in it, they wouldn’t bother if their wasn’t a market for it!

Opinions can't be wrong. They are subjective. You can disagree with them, which is fine.

Personally, I don't see the financial sense in offering backwards compatibility past the previous generation.

Sony will want people to move to PS5 as soon as possible, so offering backwards compatibility will aid that transition. People will be more likely to sell on their existing console, to part fund the new one, if they can still play their current games or play with friends who can't upgrade yet.

Sony aren't doing it from the good of their hearts, they are doing it for more sales. Playstation have said they are still working out the technical details of how it will work, so you can bet it was a marketing requirement.

PSNow caters for the retro crowd. While they can monetise retro games through that, why offer backwards compatibility for PS3 on the new machine?

I am sure there are people that want to play pong on their high tech machine, but I think best product for them might be a gaming subscription service. Personally I have zero interest in older games. They are all basically crap versions of new games 😃

I think there is a lot of 'rose tinted glasses' when reminiscing about older games. While there are some classics, even those are only fun for an hour or two. At the time we didn't know any better. SD TV in black and white used to look just fine ;)

I think there is a lot of 'rose tinted glasses' when reminiscing about older games. While there are some classics, even those are only fun for an hour or two. At the time we didn't know any better. SD TV in black and white used to look just fine ;)
That’s very true, seeing some PS1/2 games on YouTube, I’m horrified how dated they look.
In my head they certainly didn’t look like that while I reminisced playing back in the late 90’s.

Are you suggesting the PS4 doesn’t play audio CD’s or data CD’s?
It doesn't play audio CDs.

1571130113984.png

Probably because doing that requires paying for a license and Sony doesn't think there's enough interest to do it.

I still have a PS3 and a lot of games. Once I had a PS4 I never touched it again. Older games are limited by a lot. Lack of memory, poor graphics, etc.

One thing not being mentioned on the whole backwards compatible ps now argument is that ps now is not offered globally. Us down in New Zealand can't use it for streaming titles as they have no servers here and the latency will mean it won't work and Sony are blocking overseas servers. Similarly we won't be getting stadia anytime soon as Google often overlooks us with the small population. Shame as the national fttp roll out would mean it would work pretty well if we had the services offered.

Overlooking it as a niche is ok, but to implement a solution that can't be used everywhere is frustrating for all those not in one of the 19 supported countries. The question would be what is more cost effective if they were to do it, setting up ps now in more countries would be pricey but so will implementing native compatibility.

Last edited:

I'm currently playing the PS2 version of Jak and Daxter on my Pro and the camera controls are horrid. Definitely a game of it's time. Once I go next gen I never look back.

On that note. I'm out!
Its a fair point though Isn’t it? Why would they use resources and money on offering something if their wasn’t a market for it in the first place? That makes no business sense. And I’ve seen lots of comments from people wanting backwards compatibility.
Although having now used PlayStation Now they can continue with this service as it works great :) that way you can have whatever extra things it is you want in the PS5.

I'm lost...this gen has probably been the best I can remember with some truly outstanding games. No point in listing them but when you have everything from Witcher 3 to GT Sport to Spiderman, God of War, Horizon, Bloodbourne and so on and so on no way you can say it's been cr@p.

I'm looking forward to playing some of those updated and better than ever on my PS5 but more so I'm looking forward to playing all the new games on it :)
None of which match up to Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us, for example... and GT Sport failed as it didn’t really offer a campaign championship mode if I remember right. It’s my opinion but I’m sticking to it!

Its a fair point though Isn’t it? Why would they use resources and money on offering something if their wasn’t a market for it in the first place? That makes no business sense. And I’ve seen lots of comments from people wanting backwards compatibility.
Although having now used PlayStation Now they can continue with this service as it works great :) that way you can have whatever extra things it is you want in the PS5.

Just to re-iterate....

On that note. I'm out!

None of which match up to Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us, for example... and GT Sport failed as it didn’t really offer a campaign championship mode if I remember right. It’s my opinion but I’m sticking to it!

GT Sport didn't fail at all. Yes it wasn't what a lot of people expected but it's turned into a massive online racing community and of course the FIA championships. Think it's sold over 8 million copies which isn't bad for an online focused game although there is now a very big single player campaign in it.

GT Sport is one of the games I've sunk the most hours into and that relates exclusively to offline campaign mode play. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I've arguably not played the main component of it (the online racing).

GT Sport is one of the games I've sunk the most hours into and that relates exclusively to offline campaign mode play. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I've arguably not played the main component of it (the online racing).

Definitely worth a try as once you get your ratings up the racing is on the whole very clean and very close. Probably the best online racing I've ever had but I haven;t played iRacing and the like.

me personally I do like older games and still go back and replay them to this day and thats why i kept my ps3. so it wouldnt bother me if ps5 didnt play older games

It would be a great marketing opportunity to say here's the ps5 it will play every PlayStation game ever made. however the cost to do this would be too expensive to justify

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-t...navi-hardware/

While we have heard plenty of rumors regarding the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Scarlett, we still don't have a good idea of what the consoles are capable of doing. According to a recent report, things will be going way beyond what we have seen in the most impressive games of the current generation.

A new report posted by a former GameFan magazine editor on ResetEra revealed that he has recently seen a tech demo of a multiplatform open-world game that is in development for PlayStation 5, Xbox Scarlett and PC. This demo, which is not all that polished, runs at a solid performance and it's way ahead of games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and The Last of Us Part 2 in terms of scope, lighting and environment dynamics.

Related
XFX Radeon RX 5500 THICC II Custom Navi 14 Graphics Card Pictured – Sleek Design, Single 8-Pin Power Connector

The demo I saw had the very best real time graphics I've ever seen. And what I mean by that is it looked like a real game you can play.

Not some super polished UE4 or Unity technical demo that you would see at gdc.

To me, there was no mistaking this for a current generation on PC or console.

To be clear, in terms of scope, lighting and environment dynamics, RDR2 or TLOU2 aren't even in the same time zone as this.

and yeah, it kinda was like a Shadowfall moment to me in that it seemed totally different from what I've been used to in the previous generation.

Now granted, Framerate was maybe 25 to 30-ish and it was early, early,early. But I actually said out loud WTF when I first saw it.

Shadows, in particular, are impressive, and the overall picture quality is solid, which should be a given, considering the hinted power of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Scarlett.

One thing I found really interesting was the quality of the shadows. I especially noticed there were some approx 2-3ft high bushes. When they were swaying in the wind they were casting moving shadows with ****ing PERFECT detail. No shimmering or stairstepping at all.

And I am talking about a bush with maybe 75-100 branches and 100s of leaves on it!

Casting. Perfect.****ing. Shadows.

Keep in mind this was just a random, whateverthe**** bush!

Also

The overall picture quality was astoundingly solid....like it used some super duper AA.

The game is full 2160p, but again, has no shimmering whatsoever. Just a really solid resolve to the graphics.

It's also been confirmed that this demo is running on Navi-based hardware, so it could be running on a PlayStation 5 devkit.

It was running on Navi-based hardware. So a current for the time PS5 development kit.(June 2019).

The PlayStation 5 console launches next year worldwide.

It doesn't play audio CDs.

View attachment 1207448

Probably because doing that requires paying for a license and Sony doesn't think there's enough interest to do it.

You're right, including the reason why. It's a software/licensing issue and they judged it wasnt a priority feature for inclusion in the OS.

I'm fairly sure that, on a hardware level, the optical drive in the PS4 is more than capable of reading a CD if Sony were to add the software required.

I just hope Sony decide to make the PS5 a truly universal media hub able to play music and video formats, both physical and digital. I'll get one and be happy. If I wanted to play previous model games I can use my PS1 and PS3.

I'll be happy with it just having good games to play.

Well if it can play PS4 games then it will immediately have loads of great games to play... and I have so many that I need to finish (or start) so I'm counting on being able to continue playing them on my PS5.

I think several years ago I would have wanted a console to play everything, media streaming, Netflix, BluRay but think I'm happy having separate devices and ones that do each thing slightly better than an all in one. If the PS5 is silent (and I highly doubt that) then maybe I'll use it for 4K BluRays and stuff but will probably just stick to my dedicated player which is completely silent and the games console will be for games only.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom