NEWS: Playstation 5 will launch with 4K disc support during 'Holiday Season' 2020

I read more and Sony have hinted at backwards compatibility but also tweeted they are having some issues ironing out some of the kink's to get it to work perfectly. No mention of if it's native running of games, emulation or via ps now. Considering what Xbox just did with gears 5 on gamepass I think Sony needs to step up it's game in titles on PS now. There's definitely a market for netflix for games, the distance is ms are happy to include blockbuster titles while Sony is only putting out older titles.

I know I mentioned it but I still like the idea is PS4 and ps5 remote playing to each other, it would remove the issue of internet speeds, ensure you can play all your titles in two rooms and mean they could continue making profit on the PS4 after it should be dead. At a minimum BV should allow you to go between the two consoles fairly easily. I'd happily relocate the PS4 upstairs for this instead of the more likely route of me packing it up and putting it in the cupboard to not be used again.

It's all a conveyer belt to the next thing. Ps6 is next when they have bled ps5 dry and so on, I could justify having two consoles but for me Xbox won me over as I still have so many games to get through that I wouldn't have time for both. It's nice to try a new game and get in to it because playing seasonal games like forza and gears, creed etc is starting to feel like watching EastEnders neighbours, coronation street etc and at some point we need a fresh change. I've stuck with Xbox because the main games I want either are exclusive to that console or run better in Xbox x, if Sony can drag me away its going to have to be something special like fully backwards compatibility or maybe I will buy both this tine and skip the incremental upgrade as all we are doing is milking a cash cow.

I like the idea of portioning games so you can choose whether you want the full game installed or just the multi- or single-player part. If they partition it further I could see the use of external hard drives being possible. As long as the SSD kept a certain amount of free space you could choose to play a game from your external and it would transfer it onto your SSD. If it had to transfer the whole game it could take a few minutes, but if the game is partitioned further it could transfer over the first block you need to start pretty quickly and copy the rest over while you’re playing.

It depends on what speed the SSD will be in the PS5.

apparently it might not even be a normal SSD digital foundry think the storage could be fully integrated into the main board for way faster read and write times

yeh sounds more like NVMe but possibly even faster. Integrated on the motherboard makes the most sense as there’s no way it will be upgradable so getting the fastest possible access is their aim.
Can’t wait to see what it’s like.

Looking forward to the ps5. Interested to see if a pro is released at same time. Hope it does DV. Only thing is, I need a new AVR (which I'm holding off for now) and will need a new tv to get full hdmi 2.1 benefits, but not gonna be able to justify all that with swmbo any time soon nor will my bank account allow it lol, as my tv isn't that old (LGB7) and has no problems :( I need my lottery numbers to come in.

like i said earlier killzone shadowfall did it

ive got to say going on about ps4 backwards compatibility if ps5 isnt fully backwards compatible with every game and every bit of dlc it will be a massive mistake because i would bet xbox scarlet will be
has been officially confirmed in interviews but not to what extent. Could be similar to the XBox now or full compatibility.

Sony really need to offer backwards compatibility with PS3 and 2 and even 1 games really. In my opinion the PS3 and Xbox 360 had far far better games then this gen which kind a sucked.
Their are some utter gems that Xbox offers full compatibility with and you just needed to own the game, Sony really needs to follow this path but not through streaming as I heard it’s very clunky and laggy on PlayStation Now? Maybe I’ll give it a try if Uncharted 2 is on it. But I don’t like having to pay an additional monthly charge for it!

to me it seemed Microaof got backwards compatibility right and for great value, Sony just monetised it to make a quick buck through a flawed system of streaming. They both need to offer native support with the power they’ll have! However I feel it’ll be the same next generation as it has been for this gen, bar the PS4 and Xbox One games will be fully compatible.

apparently it might not even be a normal SSD digital foundry think the storage could be fully integrated into the main board for way faster read and write times
They’ll most likely have PCIE 4 speeds and SSD systems, the new architecture fully supports it, basically it’s the fastest you can get currently, hardly any PCs or motherboards have it as it is completely brand new, only launched in July I think and offers speeds up to 5GB/s. Faster then any Mac. Now if you then solder it direct to the motherboard, as no doubt they will to save costs, then it’ll be silly fast.

Sony really need to offer backwards compatibility with PS3 and 2 and even 1 games really. In my opinion the PS3 and Xbox 360 had far far better games then this gen which kind a sucked.
Their are some utter gems that Xbox offers full compatibility with and you just needed to own the game, Sony really needs to follow this path but not through streaming as I heard it’s very clunky and laggy on PlayStation Now? Maybe I’ll give it a try if Uncharted 2 is on it. But I don’t like having to pay an additional monthly charge for it!

to me it seemed Microaof got backwards compatibility right and for great value, Sony just monetised it to make a quick buck through a flawed system of streaming. They both need to offer native support with the power they’ll have! However I feel it’ll be the same next generation as it has been for this gen, bar the PS4 and Xbox One games will be fully compatible.

ps3 emulation is incredibly difficult even on todays powerful pcs. there are ps3 emulators but most games dont work and those that do run pooly with lots of glitches. Microsoft can do it because they are the one of the richest company's in the world and can just chuck money at it and they are actually a software company with huge resources they have a large team altering the emulator for each individual game to get it to work properly. Yes i would love it if they could do it the way Microsoft has but its not possible for ps3 games at the moment, ps2 is even tricky. They havent done it for ps1 probably to do with the fact the ps4 doesnt play cds

As for PSNOW ive played multiple games on it and never had a problem frankly i never even noticed i wasnt on a ps3 till i had to press start or select in a game.

Are you mad? I mean its purely personal opinion of course but to say this gens games sucked is crazy talk!

As for Back Compat, I don't really care for it at all. If I really wanted to play those games I'd still own those machines, nevermind spending £400+ on a new machine to play them. I'd be buying a PS5 for the leap it would bring from the previous gen of console, not to go back another 3 generations!

I'd rather they spent the money, that would be required in getting Back Compat to work, on adding more next gen stuff to the PS5. PS4 gen support would still be something that I wouldn't really use either but I think it would be the right move to add it.

Couldn’t agree more with @Cha1ky, I’m buying PS5 for future games, if my previously owned PS4 games can be played via bc, happy days, if not, I’ll keep the pro but reality is, I’ll move on.
Maybe PS Now will be free for a year with each new PS5, gives users the bc angle for games older than PS4.
If they really want to continue playing, they can subscribe for it year 2.
I’d prefer money to be spent on future game development.

I've stuck with Xbox because the main games I want either are exclusive to that console or run better in Xbox x,
They're not really exclusive to Xbox though, as unless MS change tack, you can play them on PC:

So PS5 + PC gets you all the PlayStation exclusives, all the PC exclusives, and all the main Xbox exclusives: without needing an actual Xbox console.

As for backwards compatibility, looking forwards should be the main focus, especially PSVR for me. Saying that there's some PS4 games i'd like to play: Mass Effect 3 multiplayer for example; also I never got Armored Core V + Verdict Day, as they only released in English after the PS4 launched iirc, and my PS3 had packed up.
With no Armored Core games at all this gen (mutter mutter Dark Souls mutter) it's the last game to actually play.

Anyway I've already got the money saved, as I thought it may come this crimbo (2019) and had kept last year's bonus for it. Now I can use this years bonus, plus last years and get PS5, new TV and a gaming PC when needed (assuming still got a job, economy still strong and stable etc).

Are you mad? I mean its purely personal opinion of course but to say this gens games sucked is crazy talk!

As for Back Compat, I don't really care for it at all. If I really wanted to play those games I'd still own those machines, nevermind spending £400+ on a new machine to play them. I'd be buying a PS5 for the leap it would bring from the previous gen of console, not to go back another 3 generations!

I'd rather they spent the money, that would be required in getting Back Compat to work, on adding more next gen stuff to the PS5. PS4 gen support would still be something that I wouldn't really use either but I think it would be the right move to add it.

You may not care, but I frankly enjoy playing classics like Uncharted 2! Which is a wwaaayyyyyyy better game then 4 was.
Lots of others want full backwards compatibility too, it’s not being mad, if it was then Sony and Microsoft wouldn’t offer it and spend money on it!
Yes this gens games sucked, fact, possibly Horizon zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears Of War 4 didn’t, but the rest did!

As it is Zero Dawn was the only new IP and even then it’s the same old Sony exclusive third person action game, which we have a plethora of.. I’ll go back to Days Gone at some point but to me it’s boring too and isn’t a new IP as it just copied everyone else with a different story.
Spider-Man is good though, just got that in the sale the other day, but it’s hardly a new IP.
The Last If Us 2 needs to be good also. So yeah overall a boring generation of games, currently maybe 6 or 7 that are good or reasonably good for what 6 years of a generation life cycle. That’s pretty poor..

And what exactly do you want them to add to the PS5 then? Seems to be more their isn’t much more they can add to it.. not sure what your argument is there instead of backwards compatibility to add more, stuff.. that most people don’t want or need. What do you want? More power? Then how much do you want to pay? £800?
And FYI you do know Sony currently offer backwards compatibility through streaming and they charge you for it? And it actually works too, but if Microsoft can make the Xbox One emulate and run older titles, I’m more then sure the PS4 and 5 can do the same. Or they can continue their streaming service.

Last edited by a moderator:
ps3 emulation is incredibly difficult even on todays powerful pcs. there are ps3 emulators but most games dont work and those that do run pooly with lots of glitches. Microsoft can do it because they are the one of the richest company's in the world and can just chuck money at it and they are actually a software company with huge resources they have a large team altering the emulator for each individual game to get it to work properly. Yes i would love it if they could do it the way Microsoft has but its not possible for ps3 games at the moment, ps2 is even tricky. They havent done it for ps1 probably to do with the fact the ps4 doesnt play cds

As for PSNOW ive played multiple games on it and never had a problem frankly i never even noticed i wasnt on a ps3 till i had to press start or select in a game.

Are you suggesting the PS4 doesn’t play audio CD’s or data CD’s? I believe Sony we’re going to do exactly that at one point. But I tried PlayStation Now and it does work well enough, but they need a lot more titles in it. It would be easy to make a PS1 emulator, a mobile phone can do that!

Are you suggesting the PS4 doesn’t play audio CD’s or data CD’s? I believe Sony we’re going to do exactly that at one point. But I tried PlayStation Now and it does work well enough, but they need a lot more titles in it. It would be easy to make a PS1 emulator, a mobile phone can do that!

Yes a mobile phone could run PS1 games but making an emulator isn't easy. Once you can emulate that's great but then every game will need testing for compatibility as they won't all work straight out the box. That's a massive amount of work and QA for something that only a very small minority will ever use. Same with PS2 games.

That is why we have seen remasters as opposed to anything else as it's only specific games that people want to play

Anyway it's pretty much guaranteed the PS5 will play PS4 games, Sony have said they want seamless play between the two and the fact that the PSVR will work on the PS5 I think add to that. Maybe Sony are just waiting until they have everything in place and tested as I'm sure the OS side is still in a pre-alpha stage.

Xbox only ever did backwards 360 compatibility with specific titles that had to be engineered to work and the same went for the 360 and original XB compatibility. I had a 3670 and even in my small library of original XB games a lot didn't really, work very well.

Yes a mobile phone could run PS1 games but making an emulator isn't easy. Once you can emulate that's great but then every game will need testing for compatibility as they won't all work straight out the box. That's a massive amount of work and QA for something that only a very small minority will ever use. Same with PS2 games.

That is why we have seen remasters as opposed to anything else as it's only specific games that people want to play

Anyway it's pretty much guaranteed the PS5 will play PS4 games, Sony have said they want seamless play between the two and the fact that the PSVR will work on the PS5 I think add to that. Maybe Sony are just waiting until they have everything in place and tested as I'm sure the OS side is still in a pre-alpha stage.

Xbox only ever did backwards 360 compatibility with specific titles that had to be engineered to work and the same went for the 360 and original XB compatibility. I had a 3670 and even in my small library of original XB games a lot didn't really, work very well.
I can tell you all of the older Xbox games work well on the One S. And thankfully Sony sides with my side of the argument, as does the market it seems, and we will be seeing backwards compatibility. It doesn’t take them that much effort to make the games work in the grand scheme if things.

Yes this gens games sucked, fact

Think you mean, opinion, not fact.

possibly Horizon zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 3 and Gears Of War 4 didn’t,

The Last If Us 2 needs to be good also. So yeah overall a boring generation of games, currently maybe 6 or 7 that are good or reasonably good

So they all didn't suck then.... :confused: but like I have said, this is purely your opinion, not fact.

And what exactly do you want them to add to the PS5 then? Seems to be more their isn’t much more they can add to it.. not sure what your argument is there instead of backwards compatibility to add more, stuff.. that most people don’t want or need. What do you want? More power? Then how much do you want to pay? £800?
What would I like to see added instead of back compat? THings like making sure they use the very latest HDMI spec for future proofing, ensure there is enough memory for the OS that i don't have to wait for things to load when i switch to the OS UI, better quality chat, controller battery life is better. better browsing experience, I could probably think of a hell of a lot more that I would like to see them investing in instead of Backwards Compat.

And FYI you do know Sony currently offer backwards compatibility through streaming and they charge you for it?
Why yes, yes I do know they do this. Theres your solution! Get yourself a PSNow sub! Heard its recently gone down in price. I may even have a good deal on 12 months subscription if you're interested!

It doesn’t take them that much effort to make the games work in the grand scheme if things.

I'm pretty sure you have no idea what it takes to get them going and the cost that would need to go into getting them running correctly.

Think you mean, opinion, not fact.

So they all didn't suck then.... :confused: but like I have said, this is purely your opinion, not fact.

What would I like to see added instead of back compat? THings like making sure they use the very latest HDMI spec for future proofing, ensure there is enough memory for the OS that i don't have to wait for things to load when i switch to the OS UI, better quality chat, controller battery life is better. better browsing experience, I could probably think of a hell of a lot more that I would like to see them investing in instead of Backwards Compat.

Why yes, yes I do know they do this. Theres your solution! Get yourself a PSNow sub! Heard its recently gone down in price. I may even have a good deal on 12 months subscription if you're interested!

I'm pretty sure you have no idea what it takes to get them going and the cost that would need to go into getting them running correctly.

I’m pretty sure your opinion is wrong as the market is asking for more backwards compatibility hence why Sony and Microsoft invest in it, they wouldn’t bother if their wasn’t a market for it!
And your opinion my opinion, lots of games this gen have been crap, or rehashed. I hope next gen actually delivers some decent new IP games. Be nice if Sont could move past it’s fetish with third person action adventure games too!
And all those things you want, the PS4 Pro already does those, it has extra ram for the OS which does run smoothly, have you used an Xbox One? And the browsing experience is as good as it gets for a game pad. Why would you want them to waste money on that when most people use a phone or tablet?
As for HDMI well they can only use the latest available when developing the console, you can’t blame them if in three years it changes again.. as it is the standard they will use as I understand is said to support 8K, not sure what you’d want beyond that?
Seems like they will already offer all you want, so you’ve got a weak argument there.
Are you a salty Cha1ky because they will offer backwards compatibility and you don’t like that?

I'm lost...this gen has probably been the best I can remember with some truly outstanding games. No point in listing them but when you have everything from Witcher 3 to GT Sport to Spiderman, God of War, Horizon, Bloodbourne and so on and so on no way you can say it's been cr@p.

I'm looking forward to playing some of those updated and better than ever on my PS5 but more so I'm looking forward to playing all the new games on it :)

I want River Raid VR at PS5 launch or I'm joining ANTIFA and knitting some awful bobble hats. :mad:

I think this generation has had some really fantastic games, certainly enough to keep me busy, and I do like third person action adventure games that PS does so well - I didn't realise this was a fetish....

Re backwards compatibility, I hope the PS5 plays PS4 games (so I don't have to keep the Pro) and can continue with my backlog on the new console. I'd also hope that developers patch these last PS4 games so they play better on PS5 (e.g. TLOU2 in 60fps if possible). It would be nice to buy these on PS4 and then transition them to the PS5 for free with hopefully a patch with improvements.

I can't see myself playing any PS1, 2 or 3 games, except for remastered ones (I have played Uncharted 1-3 and TLOU) and I'm glad I played those versions rather than the originals as I got to play them at higher framerates.

I have the Xbox One X and Game Pass and haven't yet played a previous gen game so not really a top priority for me (appreciate it may appeal to others). If I get Scarlet then I would like to be able to transfer my purchased X games to that console, but not fussed about OG Xbox or 360 games as standard.

With the Nintendo Switch, I have the NES and SNES online libraries and whilst they're nice to have, I play those only briefly and more for nostalgia really as most are/look so dated.

The one thing I would like to see is more 3rd person games running at 60fps, even if they have to run at slightly sub 4k to do so.

Me personally i enjoyed last gen more as lots of new IP but i certainly wouldnt say this generation has been rubbish.

and i certainly dont think PS5 will usher in tons of new IP as AAA games are only going to get more expensive to make and sony will release sequels to the big hits theyve had this gen.

The ps4 doesnt play CDs so even if they did make a PS1 emulator it couldnt play the discs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom