NEWS: Playstation 5 will launch with 4K disc support during 'Holiday Season' 2020

Just goes to show how good the PS3 was though in terms of being an all-in-one option (for me anyway) - was my go to player the entire time I owned one. Always got updated, no issues whatsoever.

I have a Sony 4K player currently but would have no issues going back to the all in one option (I know Xbox do this currently) if it had Atmos/HDR 10 (and Vision) support out of the box.
I'm thinking along these lines too, although sony doesn't currently support HDR10+ so I'm a little torn on this and there's also the issue of HDMI connections/frame rate as reported below:

PlayStation 5 Just Gave Most TV Brands - Including Sony - A Serious Headache

As the Pro didn’t have a 4K player I bought a Panasonic one, really can’t see me using the PS5 for watching film. I do however welcome it for those who haven’t invested yet, can only be a good thing for UHD, digital is great, but it doesn’t compare especially in the audio department (although assuming Sony’s primary reason for inclusion is disc capacity for games).

I'm thinking along these lines too, although sony doesn't currently support HDR10+ so I'm a little torn on this and there's also the issue of HDMI connections/frame rate as reported below:

PlayStation 5 Just Gave Most TV Brands - Including Sony - A Serious Headache

HDR10+ seems to going nowhere though it remains to be seen if Sony will even support Dolby Vision on the PS5.

If connected to a 60Hz output display (which is everything more or less) your only going to get a 60fps at best.

With 120hz output displays and VRR the problem is a lack of standardization, really Sony should just come out and mandate a specified VRR range of 40-120fps that all games must support on the PS5, as pushing a perfect 120fps is unrealistic given PS5 hardware and developer constraints.

Thats why VRR in tandem with 120hz output makes the difference smoothing out variable refresh rates.

Support HDMI-VRR 40-120hz TV's and Freesync 40-120hz PC monitors regardless of resolution, it can be 1080p, 1440, 2160p/4K and the console just internally scales up or down depending upon the output. All PS5 games would benefit and just run smoother, feel better.

What will undermine the above is if different TV makers start implementing different ranges beyond 40-120hz and only select PS5 games benefit leading to confusion.

This is what Xbox did when it added support for VRR/Freesync, it never specified a range and there are 60fps games that are still capped at 60fps even if running on a 120hz output display and 60fps games that don't work at all with VRR/Freesync.

Freesync PC displays are cheap and are the easy way to drive adoption, TV's will take a lot longer to spread through the market, of course if Sony dont support Freesync either then that will be another blow.

Hmm I’m going to actually hold out, I think Sony are going to price the PS5 too high and Microsoft will undercut them, plus Sony hasn’t announced a single PS5 launch game, Halo for Xbox Scarlett as we know is a day one release.
I also wonder what the PS5 will look like! If it’s that dev kit erm no...
Can’t wait for Xbox’s event in London next month as I hope they talk about Scarlett and announce some more news.
Think I’ve gone back to being split on which to buy, only want one of them as I don’t have the time for both..

And I’m definitely NOT buying into this whole this dev said the PS5 is more powerful and this dev said the Scarlett is more powerful.. you need to wait for them to be released and fully tested first really.

Hmm I’m going to actually hold out, I think Sony are going to price the PS5 too high and Microsoft will undercut them, plus (1)Sony hasn’t announced a single PS5 launch game, Halo for Xbox Scarlett as we know is a day one release.
(2)I also wonder what the PS5 will look like! If it’s that dev kit erm no...
Can’t wait for Xbox’s event in London next month as I hope they talk about Scarlett and announce some more news.
Think I’ve gone back to being split on which to buy, only want one of them as I don’t have the time for both..

And I’m definitely NOT buying into this whole this dev said the PS5 is more powerful and this dev said the Scarlett is more powerful.. you need to wait for them to be released and fully tested first really.

1. Hoping for a February reveal and then hoping E3 2020 will be solely dedicated to PS5 and its launch titles.
2. Does it really matter what it looks like? Most people put then in a cabinet under the tele never to be seen again.

I'm a PC gamer so getting neither....... Who am I kidding. I love new console day. If it's the 360 type hype train then I'm on it.

1. Hoping for a February reveal and then hoping E3 2020 will be solely dedicated to PS5 and its launch titles.
2. Does it really matter what it looks like? Most people put then in a cabinet under the tele never to be seen again.
Yes it does matter what it looks like when it’s in your view all the time... not everyone hides consoles away in a cupboard or stand.
I don’t think we can rely on a February announcement at present because of all these interviews Sony has been doing with Wired. We will see though, they really need to turn up at E3 though to get maximum press coverage I think.

Yes it does matter what it looks like when it’s in your view all the time... not everyone hides consoles away in a cupboard or stand.
I don’t think we can rely on a February announcement at present because of all these interviews Sony has been doing with Wired. We will see though, they really need to turn up at E3 though to get maximum press coverage I think.

They won't turn up at E3, think less and less will turn up each year. They'll hold their own reveal like last time, probably a month or few weeks before and then whoever does bother going to E3 from the games publishers can show off some of the PS5 games they are doing.

Expect May reveal then the trickle of details and games over the next 6 months. Maybe there will be something earlier in the year but it never makes sense to fully hype anything until much closer to release when pre-orders can start.

Plan 1: Pre-order a Pro (If Pro available at launch) as soon as available.

Plan 2: Pre-order a normal as soon as available and then pre-order a Pro as soon as available if one is released after launch.

Plan 3: I take up cross stitch and make everyone a doily and become a billionaire via my doily making twitch streams.

I will do the same with the XBOX.

1st thing buy a new HDMI 2.1 tv then finish off my ps4 backlog then a couple years later buy a ps5 and start working my through the now cheap launch games.

yes i will also get an xbox because my mates only ever buy xbox and then moan they have no games to play

From what I've been reading, the PS5 will allow you to download a portion of a game (Mutiplayer or Single Player) and then download the rest later on.

Has this been done before?

Yeah, it's good news that Sony and Microsoft are pushing out these more powerful consoles with multifunctions but look at the xbox1x at present, it's a great console but there's no point in having an all singing and dancing powerful console when devs are pushing out games that come no where near pushing the limits or upping the quality of games. It's like having a ferrari and using it to run to the local store and back which kind of negates the point of having it. As for digital only our broadband network is no where near good enough or has decent coverage in the UK and the US are in even worse position. We're doomed.

From what I've been reading, the PS5 will allow you to download a portion of a game (Mutiplayer or Single Player) and then download the rest later on.

yes they did it at the start of the generation killzone shadowfall was an early example where you could choose to install the single player or multiplayer

yes they did it at the start of the generation killzone shadowfall was an early example where you could choose to install the single player or multiplayer

I remember that. Does seem like a good idea but as DF said they would use pretty much the same assets so only difference would be some code and a few textures etc... doubt it’ll save anything at all really.

I’m expecting a 1TB SSD PS5. They might do a 2TB version for £80 more or something but I presume external storage can be attached to store games on and then when you start playing it moves the data onto the internal SSD.
it’s similar to tiered storage you get in SANs where data is moved to a slower tier if not used for some time and then when accessed again it’s moved back. All seamless in the background with a small slowdown on access the first time.

Even my current 2TB SSD in my Pro is always full up. I don’t have many massive games but quite a lot of medium sized ones which take up all the space.

I think storage is going to be an issue they arnt just going to be using a bog standard SSD the storage maybe even being integrated into the main board. external storage wont be as quick so you wont able to play a game off it. consequently you may well have to move a game to the main system storage to be able to play a game.

Glad to hear it will have a 4K drive to keep this format going (hopefully) and also like that it is using latest AMD Ryzen CPU tech... recently upgraded my PC to Ryzen 3900X and it is much better and faster than old Intel CPUs. Hopefully now future PC games will be more compatible and optimised for Ryzen since the consoles use them too.

Yeah, it's good news that Sony and Microsoft are pushing out these more powerful consoles with multifunctions but look at the xbox1x at present, it's a great console but there's no point in having an all singing and dancing powerful console when devs are pushing out games that come no where near pushing the limits or upping the quality of games. It's like having a ferrari and using it to run to the local store and back which kind of negates the point of having it. As for digital only our broadband network is no where near good enough or has decent coverage in the UK and the US are in even worse position. We're doomed.

I have to admit I've got an order in for gigabit fibre being livened letter this month. It's huge overkill for our needs but I do like that installing a game or patch is now something I don't have to plan for 24 hours in advance. It is making my capacity issues significantly less annoying being able to relieve a full game in an hour of I need to.

I don't see any radical changes to leading to system memory, they could still run games exactly as they do now, so if it's on an SSD great it's sort quick, but let us keep mechanical drives for capacity. I'd think it would be more like a sshd using some fast storage to keep a buffer from the mechanical drives. If it's 100gb discs installs will be huge and the drives will end up costing a fortune.

Do we know what video and audio file formats it will be able to handle? And also whether it will be able to play discs such as SACD, DVD-A, etc?

I am still waiting for a "one machine to play them all". I was going to buy the UBP-X800M2 but if the PS5 will be able to match it then i might get that instead.

I know the format has yet to be agreed but to me by the end of next year an 8 K disc player should be part of the package. 8 K tvs are about at the top end of tv sales now and I bet that 8 K discs are technically possible so why not? I bet they do not cost any more to produce, both discs and players.
Just saying.....😀

I like the idea of portioning games so you can choose whether you want the full game installed or just the multi- or single-player part. If they partition it further I could see the use of external hard drives being possible. As long as the SSD kept a certain amount of free space you could choose to play a game from your external and it would transfer it onto your SSD. If it had to transfer the whole game it could take a few minutes, but if the game is partitioned further it could transfer over the first block you need to start pretty quickly and copy the rest over while you’re playing.

I thought PS5 was confirmed backwards compatible?

Nope, only rumours surround that at present, so far as I know Sony hasn’t officially mentioned backwards compatibility, it’s expected to support PS4 though as it’s based in the same X86 platform so it’s a no brainer, but beyond that I’d expect Sony to continue offering its paid for streaming service to play older game, bad for the consumer but great for Sony’s pockets.
We shall see though.

Don’t think so, but I only see it as an enhancement to the current gen feature where you can select to start installing or downloading the single player or multiplayer part of a game and then start playing it before it’s finished.
clever stuff.

Don’t think so, but I only see it as an enhancement to the current gen feature where you can select to start installing or downloading the single player or multiplayer part of a game and then start playing it before it’s finished.
clever stuff.

like i said earlier killzone shadowfall did it

ive got to say going on about ps4 backwards compatibility if ps5 isnt fully backwards compatible with every game and every bit of dlc it will be a massive mistake because i would bet xbox scarlet will be

Nope, only rumours surround that at present, so far as I know Sony hasn’t officially mentioned backwards compatibility, it’s expected to support PS4 though as it’s based in the same X86 platform so it’s a no brainer, but beyond that I’d expect Sony to continue offering its paid for streaming service to play older game, bad for the consumer but great for Sony’s pockets.
We shall see though.

has been officially confirmed in interviews but not to what extent. Could be similar to the XBox now or full compatibility.

I know the format has yet to be agreed but to me by the end of next year an 8 K disc player should be part of the package. 8 K tvs are about at the top end of tv sales now and I bet that 8 K discs are technically possible so why not? I bet they do not cost any more to produce, both discs and players.
Just saying.....😀

Considering that 4k has still not picked up properly yet I reckon it would be way too early for 8k.
Plus, if Sony included it in the PS5 now there wont be anything left for the PS6:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom