NEWS: Playstation 5 will launch with 4K disc support during 'Holiday Season' 2020

I thought PS5 was confirmed backwards compatible?
I would take that with a pinch of salt! Sony past with Backwards is quite a touchy subject. Remember the 1st PS3s released then they pulled the plug...

quote from Wired: "Sony has confirmed that the PS5 will be backwards compatible with your PS4 games"

And the inference is that you'll be able to download PS4 games onto it and install PS4 disc games onto it too, as well as download your game saves.

Ray tracing built into the GPU, support for 8K displays, an entirely new interface with the means of seeing what your friends are playing and joining them more easily and directly, a new pad with adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, SSD drive, UHD drive; it's all sounding good to me!

But PLEASE Sony, give us Atmos supported game audio!

A lot of high-priced equipment is being launched soon, presumably intended to be used for years, and none of it is hdmi 2.1. I'm just a little concerned.
That does annoy me too (av receivers), but I’ll be very surprised if not, wait for CES2019, I’m assuming most high end TVs will have it this year.
VRR, support for 8K TVs - sounds like a given for 2.1. he says with fingers crossed

Backwards comp online is definitely the way forward now. 👍

quote from Wired: "Sony has confirmed that the PS5 will be backwards compatible with your PS4 games"

And the inference is that you'll be able to download PS4 games onto it and install PS4 disc games onto it too, as well as download your game saves.

Ray tracing built into the GPU, support for 8K displays, an entirely new interface with the means of seeing what your friends are playing and joining them more easily and directly, a new pad with adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, SSD drive, UHD drive; it's all sounding good to me!

But PLEASE Sony, give us Atmos supported game audio!

And Dolby Vision for the 4K discs would be nice!

I didn't realise they'd confirmed backwards compatibility. I suppose this generation was difficult as they moved to x86 architecture. If they are keeping that next generation it's less emulation based and potentially more in line with playing an old game on a new gaming rig. The pro has already kind of shown they can enhance the games so it will be interesting to see how developers cope in the early days with developing for both at the same time or porting this generations games to the better hardware.

It makes a lot of sense to do this, but agreed, it's the tech they now use that makes it possible, rather than the proprietary systems Sony have used in the past.

What I'm hoping is that if I get myself a 5, that I can still play PS4 games online with friends who are playing on the 4. That would be very welcome.

I was a two console guy in the past, owning both XB and PS, switched primarily to XB the past year and I have sub to ultimate game pass for the next few years so I will be getting XB next gen.
I will get the PS5 down the line if a few exclusives take my interest.

Going to be exciting with both launching around the same time.

If there are two versions of it I would definitely go with the "Pro" version.

It will be a Day 1 purchase for me..... nut hoping cost will be <£400

So am I understanding right that the current ps4 library of downloaded games can be carried across to ps5? (with your psn account?)

That's what Sony are saying, yes. Reports today are suggesting that it's a feature still being developed, but Sony are aiming for complete compatibility with PS4 titles, rather than a selection of games.

If it launches with GTA 6 then shut up and take my money!

Oh god we don't want another boring Rockstar game do we? ;)

Sony said their original plan was full backwards compatibility so that you can play a game on a PS4, save it, then continue playing on a PS5 and then go back and continue on a PS4 - completely seamless cross generation. This might be where they are having troubles but I'm sure they can sort it even though backwards compatibility is a very tricky thing as seen on other consoles.

Oh god we don't want another boring Rockstar game do we? ;)

Sony said their original plan was full backwards compatibility so that you can play a game on a PS4, save it, then continue playing on a PS5 and then go back and continue on a PS4 - completely seamless cross generation. This might be where they are having troubles but I'm sure they can sort it even though backwards compatibility is a very tricky thing as seen on other consoles.

Yes...Yes we do want another Rockstar game :rotfl: Why wouldn't we when there so amazing.

Good to see it’s got a 4K Blu Ray drive. A few months back I had a disagreement with somebody on a gaming site. I said it would it would support 4K Blu Ray movies, they were adamant it wouldn’t as it was a dead format walking. Off to find them now and have a good gloat. :)

Cost-friendly according to who though...? :rotfl:

The "justification" for the price could be along the lines of "If you have this sort of kit inside a PC it'd cost you £1000* so the PS5 is really cheap in comparison!".

* made up number

Cost-friendly to the mass market they don't want a repeat of the PS3 they learned their lesson, the mass market won't buy something that is deemed too expensive which at the time £425 for the launch 60GB PS3 was deemed too much.

Let's not forget a big percentage is parents buying for kids, that's why they went with £350 for PS4 at launch and why they will most likely go £400-450 for PS5.

Cost-friendly to the mass market they don't want a repeat of the PS3 they learned their lesson, the mass market won't buy something that is deemed too expensive which at the time £425 for the launch 60GB PS3 was deemed too much.

Let's not forget a big percentage is parents buying for kids, that's why they went with £350 for PS4 at launch and why they will most likely go £400-450 for PS5.

I really hope you're right! :)

I've no idea what is seen as reasonable w.r.t. parents buying for kids, but there do seem to be a lot of them wandering around with the latest iPad/iPhone (for example), so perhaps my idea of a sensible selling price nowadays is a little bit out of whack with reality... :eek:

I think I will stick with PC, I don't like how consoles mark up the digital side of things and the issues from a day one console.

The Pro and no UHD.

"Sony's preference for its own components appears to have backfired when it comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray. The simple truth is that the company's own drive simply isn't ready."

People prefer to have one box that does everything under their TV.
You presume, that people all want to play UHD discs, as opposed to downloading them and / or streaming them...

A one box solution is great, but those that are AV purists will still likely go for a separate unit, at the best possible quality. In fact they'll have already had one, before the adoption into a console.

I was a bit pissed that the Pro didn't have a 4k BR player when I got mine (day 1), but the truth is, I don't believe I'd have actually put a 4k disc in it to sit and watch if it did have one. I get my 4k fix a different way.

I agree, and will probably always have a separate BD/4K player unless the PS5 proves itself to be as acceptable/capable as the PS3 was for us for our first foray into BDs. We didn't have a BD player until we bought a PS3 and then it turned out to be a great device for that medium (or perhaps we were just easily satisfied!).

However I think it's not just about being able to play 4K UHD films though - a UHD drive will also allow the studios to put their (presumably) massive games on to perhaps a single disc instead of being spread over several. This is me assuming a lot of PS5 games will be substantially larger, file-wise, than current PS4 games! :)

You presume, that people all want to play UHD discs, as opposed to downloading them and / or streaming them...
No I presume some people will want to play UHD disks...
A one box solution is great, but those that are AV purists will still likely go for a separate unit, at the best possible quality. In fact they'll have already had one, before the adoption into a console.
Which is also possibly dodgy thinking. A standalone player might have better quality construction, smoother eject mechanism, nicer remote, offer SACD playback etc. What it probably won't be doing is giving "deeper blacks" or whatever. A console and a standalone both read zeroes and ones off a shiny disk and then send them to the HDMI socket. That's it.
I was a bit pissed that the Pro didn't have a 4k BR player when I got mine (day 1), but the truth is, I don't believe I'd have actually put a 4k disc in it to sit and watch if it did have one. I get my 4k fix a different way.
Me too. I bought a Pro and a Samsung UHD player. They sit beside each other.

This is great news regarding the 4k blu ray drive. I think Sony excluding it from this current gen has undoubtedly had a negative effect on physical media. Theoretically, this should be a nice little jolt to the format & it'll help keep us 'oldies' happy for at least a few more years to come...

Just goes to show how good the PS3 was though in terms of being an all-in-one option (for me anyway) - was my go to player the entire time I owned one. Always got updated, no issues whatsoever.

I have a Sony 4K player currently but would have no issues going back to the all in one option (I know Xbox do this currently) if it had Atmos/HDR 10 (and Vision) support out of the box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom