NEWS: Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs

The pursuit of brightness is just getting silly IMO. 2,000 nits is well into the purple-blotches left on your vision level of bright. I just don't see the point. Just make the standard 1,000 nits. Even that is obnoxiously bright. My TV is some 700 nits and I can't have that running at full backlight as it literally sears the eyeballs. Daft.

The pursuit of brightness is just getting silly IMO. 2,000 nits is well into the purple-blotches left on your vision level of bright. I just don't see the point. Just make the standard 1,000 nits. Even that is obnoxiously bright. My TV is some 700 nits and I can't have that running at full backlight as it literally sears the eyeballs. Daft.
I think you don't understand terms of nits in relation to picture detail. The idea is to enhance detail, not to make you blind with overall brightness :D Considering statement is PEAK then I would not expect much as this more marketing trick rather than true performance measure. If anything considering experiences with philips its one of them companies which over shines their products and reality might quickly hit you in a face :laugh:

Again philips only releases surface details marketing junk, where are actual specs ? o_O Its alright saying that it supports 12bit bandwidth but no info of actual panel, platform etc...

If they declared 95% DCI, then we can rest assured that in reality it will be 88/90. We know their songs well by now ..

Similar to the OLED announcement, first time I've been somewhat 'excited' about a TV launch in many a year. If the 75" version is a reasonable price (and isn't an IPS panel) and could well be finally updating my lowly F6740 from yesteryear.

I think you don't understand terms of nits in relation to picture detail. The idea is to enhance detail, not to make you blind with overall brightness :D Considering statement is PEAK then I would not expect much as this more marketing trick rather than true performance measure. If anything considering experiences with philips its one of them companies which over shines their products and reality might quickly hit you in a face :laugh:

Again philips only releases surface details marketing junk, where are actual specs ? o_O Its alright saying that it supports 12bit bandwidth but no info of actual panel, platform etc...
Sure. I'm just saying, my TV can give me purple blotches with only 700 nits peak. So I ain't gonna buy something because it's 2,000 nits. I'm just gonna say pfft to it as I walk past it. Pfft.

I’ll have the 75” one please.

1000 local dimming zones give very deep blacks.

sounds a fair bit better than tcl c825 hope they actually come to the uk fingers crossed

So even Philips have mini led....Sony,Panasonic wtf

1000 local dimming zones give very deep blacks.
MiniLed still won't be able to get anywhere near a OLEDs black level performance in a lights off dark viewing room watching movies.

For a bright room MiniLed could be a good choice if you game regularly and are worried about burn in from OLEDs.

sounds a fair bit better than tcl c825 hope they actually come to the uk fingers crossed
Just wait for price as it well could be that c825 will be like 40% cheaper :laugh: I think 65c815 was only like about £900? Where 65pus9435 was like £1400 with no better image :confused:

Very interested to hear and see more about PUS9506, could be a great TV if Philips nails. Shame they had to put that ugly soundbar on 9636, just adds cost and destroys the looks.

Similar to the OLED announcement, first time I've been somewhat 'excited' about a TV launch in many a year. If the 75" version is a reasonable price (and isn't an IPS panel) and could well be finally updating my lowly F6740 from yesteryear.
Both Mini LED models will have a VA panel, more info here.

As it looks they will also have a wide viewing angle filter, similar like Samsung and Sony have on their highest FALD models.

Didn't the Sony lcd zd9 have a thousand or so zones many years back ?
I don't see how blooming etc will be any better than any top end falds we have already seen. Every single mini led would need to be controlled, not just zones of them.

Last edited:
Didn't the Sony lcd zd9 have a thousand or so zones many years back ?
I don't see how blooming etc will be any better than and top falds we have already seen. Every single mini led would need to be controlled, not just zones of them.
Marketing and nothing else. Tv wont be better than others just you get ambilight which others don't have :lesson:

Marketing and nothing else. Tv wont be better than others just you get ambilight which others don't have :lesson:
I think you might be right. Philips is one of the worst when it comes to marketing and I think this Mini LED TV's won't be even as good as a TV like Sony XH95, Samsung Q80T or Q90T but I hope I'm wrong. Samsung and especially Sony are still the best when it comes to local dimming algorithm so I can't see Philips suddenly beating them in this but maybe I'm wrong, we will see.

I do not recall it having that many zones but this is what I googled

646 for the 65''
858 for the 75''
1508 for the 100''
Thanks
So if going for the 75" It is only 142 more zones.. Not great is it, All the talk of mini led with thousands and thousands of zones to reduce blooming etc.
Need to wait few generations for mini led to progress I'd say.

Last edited:
Just can’t see how it can get OLED blacks?

Don't get hung up on nits. 2000 nits is not twice as bright as 1000 nits.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom