NEWS: Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs

TV delivered this afternoon and after opening the top of the box there is no remote control in the enclosed Black box, only 2 batteries and the instructions 😢 I assume it wouldn't be anywhere else in the box further down? I haven't fully unpacked it yet and have been in touch with Richer Sounds for help, really disappointed.

Mine was the same, nice cut out for the remote, no remote, its with all the plastic cable guides for the back, or at least mine was.

TV delivered this afternoon and after opening the top of the box there is no remote control in the enclosed Black box, only 2 batteries and the instructions 😢 I assume it wouldn't be anywhere else in the box further down? I haven't fully unpacked it yet and have been in touch with Richer Sounds for help, really disappointed.
Both the 9506 and 9636 I got didn't have their remotes in the small box. I don't recall where the former was, but the 9636 one was right down at the bottom of the box, I was also worried it wasn't there at first!

This is a weird one.. the Local Dimming does/performs (/much) better on these "tests" if you set it on HDR in Apple TV settings and use the apple tv youtube app. The local dimming is all kind of messed up I have no idea lol.
You can use any external device, like Fire TV Cube/Stick 4k and set it to forced HDR (50hz) and use their Youtube app and run these tests.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmL2H2WPQL8&t Ld test
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqljvAfBvs0DIA *trailing test

Maybe it's all linked..

Last edited:
This is a weird one.. the Local Dimming does/performs (/much) better on these "tests" if you set it on HDR in Apple TV settings and use the apple tv youtube app. The local dimming is all kind of messed up I have no idea lol.
You can use any external device, like Nvidia Shield and Fire TV and set it to forced HDR and use their Youtube app and run these tests.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmL2H2WPQL8&t Ld test
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqljvAfBvs0DIA *trailing test

Maybe it's all linked..

I don’t think that second video is good for test trailing. I see trails on both my OLED iPhone 12 Pro and my LCD MacBook Pro.

Thanks megagold5/gnatz, why they would do this is beyond me........now I can look forward to unpacking the TV :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I don’t think that second video is good for test trailing. I see trails on both my OLED iPhone 12 Pro and my LCD MacBook Pro.
Ive said it before, if you want to see it in its default state so to speak, turn off the Local Dimming, "Local Contrast" for comparison. You have 24 pages to read if you want to.

+Ive done that "test" on my other 2 local dimming, FALD TVs that I have at the moment.

Last edited:
Ive said it before, if you want to see it in its default state so to speak, turn off the Local Dimming, "Local Contrast" for comparison. You have 24 pages to read if you want to.

+Ive done that "test" on my other 2 local dimming, FALD TVs that I have at the moment.
Yes but neither iPhone or MacBook Pro have local dimming so my point stands.

If you want to know stuff its your choice.
Im only here go give information.
I’m not denying local dimming needs some work but seriously, watch the add on your phone. There is trailing.

I’m not denying local dimming needs some work but seriously, watch the add on your phone. There is trailing.
This is the last time.
I have no interest in phone. Watch the clip WITH local dimming engaged and WITHOUT Local Dimming engaged and draw conclusions. There is minimum "trailing" without the local dimming.
That is ghosting, and the panel itself seems pretty quick (Google lcd ghosting). You do this with other local dimming television as well and if you have an LCD monitor etc.

The interesting thing I gave info on is that is is singificantly less "trailing" in HDR mode than in SDR with LD engaged. And that is strange.. Ive done the same test (or similar) on FALD TVs with and without the local dimming engaged. Philips 9707, 8102, 9506, Tosh zl1.

Last edited:
Thanks megagold5/gnatz, why they would do this is beyond me........now I can look forward to unpacking the TV :thumbsup:
Im interested - Did you find the remote? 😅

Yes, when we lifted box surround the remote fell out on to the floor, why they did this is beyond me. Have to say so far I'm loving the TV

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I have been comparing TVs for the past year or so, waiting for some feedback about Miniled displays.

I really consider buying the pml9506. I love the saturated kinda style of quantum dot filters but I couldn't find any source stating that it actually is a VA panel, Qled. Can anyone clarify?

Associated to decent minileds and gaming features (yeah and ambilight is also quite a nice), that would be a serious option for me.

Thanks for your input already, I've been reading it all and check for tests every day like I'm obessed by it (okay mostly, it's a lot of cash to buy oled or miniled so I don't want a scammy semi functional algorithm).

Greetings from a frenchman living in the Netherlands ! :)

Might have changed my mind now, last night while watching Michael Portillo on Channel 5 he had a dark hat on and when he moved and the background was bright I could see a (not sure what the technical term is) ghost affect trail. When I noticed it you then see it all the time, other scenes were a great picture:(

Last edited:
Might have changed my mind now, last night while watching Michael Portillo on Channel 5 he had a dark hat on and when he moved and the background was bright I could see a (not sure what the technical term is) ghost affect trail. When I noticed it you then see it all the time, other scenes were a great picture:(
Yep, that's the slow dimming algorithm people have referred to I think. I do see it sometimes as well - Hoping it's something that can be fixed with firmware, but it isn't a deal breaker for me as I only spot it occasionally.

Are Philips aware of the local dimming algorithm problem? Once you notice it, that's it. The wife hasn't seen it yet 😰, she wouldn't be happy to find out after paying £2.5K for a new TV that it's not working right.

Are Philips aware of the local dimming algorithm problem? Once you notice it, that's it. The wife hasn't seen it yet 😰, she wouldn't be happy to find out after paying £2.5K for a new TV that it's not working right.
I actually went and raised it via a support ticket yesterday. Its currently sitting as "escalated". I think someone earlier in the thread raised one a while back too. I really like everything else about the TV so you never know, maybe they somehow didnt realise it was an issue. It is very content dependent afterall.

If you fancy getting involved: https://tv-sound-monitors.philips.com/s/

Hello, as i understand the only problem i see with these two miniled models (9506&9636) are local dimming algorithm. My question to the owners of these models, how are these tvs other than local dimming problem? Brightness, black levels, picture quality, motion etc. We know what is bad about the tv. But what is great about it? Thanks in advance.

Hello, as i understand the only problem i see with these two miniled models (9506&9636) are local dimming algorithm. My question to the owners of these models, how are these tvs other than local dimming problem? Brightness, black levels, picture quality, motion etc. We know what is bad about the tv. But what is great about it? Thanks in advance.
Excellent in my opinion, I can't really fault them other than that. Maybe the menus are a little crappy.
Also is it a LCD panel with quantum dots filter?
I dont think it has quantum dots filtering.

They got back to me on the case and spouted some nonsense about the size of the local dimming zones against pixel density, which doesn't make sense as if you pause a video where the problem is it sorts itself out. If that was the problem it would remain when paused surely.

Thus, I'm pretty sure it's simply a matter of the speed at which the zones are dimmed/brightened and nothing else.

I plan to buy a 75-inch 9636, but I'm worried about local dimming problems, and Philips is not in a hurry to update the software.

I don't believe Philips will fix that bug with local dimming.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom