Quantcast

NEWS: Philips OLED burn-in solution is 95 percent effective

anotherrandomguy

Standard Member
I'm still wondering if they will update the "older" OLEDs with this anti burn in method.

I just ordered the 65OLED754 expecting that it already got this kind of logo detection since LG is doing it quite a time now. After I saw the interview with the Philips's picture quality guy I really was wondering myself like "Wait what, this feature is just upcoming" and started some research.

Now I'm pretty insecure and feel unconfident because I found a FAQ from Philips about OLEDs and also got a answer back (to my request) with stuff like

* You have to totally avoid any source with brighter static logos or bars on it.
* You should not play games or watch content with logos, HUD or bars longer than 20 minutes.
* You should stick to the standard HDR mode for home use (no vivid or stuff like that).
* You should use a maximum of 50% contrast if you play games on it …
and so on, and so on …

I mean I know OLED has the risk of image retention but all those Philips instructions sound like you can't even watch normal TV channels or hardly play any game longer than 20 minutes and of course should not use bright settings at home at all?

So I would at least expect the Logo detection to be released for all 2019 models, otherwise I don't know what I should say about all that stuff …

Atomicus

As mentioned RTX is nothing to do with Philips, it’s an Nvidia technology!! How can the writer of the article not know this?? Embarrassing. :facepalm:

John-Tropi

Possible OLED burn-in is a serious worry to me - enough that an OLED replacement for my nine year old plasma continues to stay right on the back burner.
I was similarly worried about my Panasonic plasma on purchase, but it has behaved exceptionally well, so far. I can't praise it highly enough and so it's not a great pain to defer an replacement until I am more confident in OLED screen longevity.

Silverblack

I'm still wondering if they will update the "older" OLEDs with this anti burn in method.

I just ordered the 65OLED754 expecting that it already got this kind of logo detection since LG is doing it quite a time now. After I saw the interview with the Philips's picture quality guy I really was wondering myself like "Wait what, this feature is just upcoming" and started some research.

Now I'm pretty insecure and feel unconfident because I found a FAQ from Philips about OLEDs and also got a answer back (to my request) with stuff like

* You have to totally avoid any source with brighter static logos or bars on it.
* You should not play games or watch content with logos, HUD or bars longer than 20 minutes.
* You should stick to the standard HDR mode for home use (no vivid or stuff like that).
* You should use a maximum of 50% contrast if you play games on it …
and so on, and so on …

I mean I know OLED has the risk of image retention but all those Philips instructions sound like you can't even watch normal TV channels or hardly play any game longer than 20 minutes and of course should not use bright settings at home at all?

So I would at least expect the Logo detection to be released for all 2019 models, otherwise I don't know what I should say about all that stuff …

It can be very unnerving when you read to much into these things... I own the 804 and i’ve gamed on it for more than 20 minutes, i will say this philips have implemented some pretty good burn in precaution measures in their tvs and find that they are active. The screensaver comes on when it’s a static image and also the tv runs a self clean when you switch it off, which the instructions tell you about when setting this tv up.

Obviously i would exercise caution but it can spook the living day lights out of you reading about burn in issues which in turn spoil the enjoyment.

With the right amount of care the tv will be fine.

AVtest

Absolute rubbish. Any manufacturer claiming 'solved burn in effect' should then offer warranty replacement for any burn in issues :) Haven't seen that yet so just marketing show for dummies...

John-Tropi

I don't think any manufacturer has claimed to have "solved burn in effect".
Philips is introducing a method of reducing its incidence in their TVs and that must be welcome. While we would all like to see a no-quibble burn-in warranty, it's perhaps a little extreme to call anything absolute rubbish because it isn't yet quite 100% perfect.