NEWS: Philips launches Fidelio B95 and B97 soundbars

I have received and tested the b97 for 2 hours.
First impresssion: Wow!!
Music through the soundbar is fantastic, the sound quality is really amazing and it can get really LOUD!!

I also tested some atmos test files from YouTube, also REALLY impressed me.
I can hear exactly where all sounds are coming from: left front, center, right frond, left surround or right surround.
I can also hear the upfiring speakers.
I now have a real home cinema experience.

Sub was also humming but I solved this by turning off the already mentioned setting in de Nvidia shield.

turning off the "play comfort noise" under advanced audio settings.

However I cannot connect to the sound bar using the Philips dts-fi app and this is needed to update the firmware and dts-fi software on the soundbar.

I have a Unifi network at home (ubiquiti usg, switch and AP-lite's)
I am also experiencing issues with Google chromecast.
It seems that both dts-fi and chromecast use the same sort of broadcasting signal which is getting blocked somewhere.

Allready followed their instruction but this didn't solve it: UniFi - Best Practices for Managing Chromecast/Google Home on UniFi Network

Today I will further look into this but first I will "manually update" the dts-fi software on the soundbar using a USB stick and by directly connecting to the soundbar's built-in wifi AP.
To connect to a smartphone - you must first connect to the PLAY-FIxxxx (or something similar) network - that is, to the soundbar's network and not to your home network.

To connect to a smartphone - you must first connect to the PLAY-FIxxxx (or something similar) network - that is, to the soundbar's network and not to your home network.
I know, this part I finished already and the light on the bar is now solid orange so it's connected to wifi.
Sometimes the play-fi app can connect to the free but sometimes not.
I've managed to let it install the 2 updates on the device, so it is up to date now.

Still have to reconfigure my network..

I know, this part I finished already and the light on the bar is now solid orange so it's connected to wifi.
Sometimes the play-fi app can connect to the free but sometimes not.
I've managed to let it install the 2 updates on the device, so it is up to date now.

Still have to reconfigure my network..
The problem with the connection I had always disconnected the B97 from the power, then it went back a few times: D.

I just want to stress out again - like Nordcore already did - that the "humming" you guys have is probably due to a setting in your Shield or Kodi. There is a setting called "play comfort noise" that is there to prevent your soundbar to go to sleep after a certain amount of time. It is this comfort noise that you guys probably hear.

Please try to disable this setting and check again for humming sounds. I guess it will not be there anymore.
This "humming" issue is causing a lot of bad remarks here on this board and is influencing people. I just want to make sure it's not a setting in your setup.

So please disable and report back. ;)

I just want to stress out again - like Nordcore already did - that the "humming" you guys have is probably due to a setting in your Shield or Kodi. There is a setting called "play comfort noise" that is there to prevent your soundbar to go to sleep after a certain amount of time. It is this comfort noise that you guys probably hear.

Please try to disable this setting and check again for humming sounds. I guess it will not be there anymore.
This "humming" issue is causing a lot of bad remarks here on this board and is influencing people. I just want to make sure it's not a setting in your setup.

I have the Sky Q receiver and the hum in the sub

The humming is always there. Even if the source is TV, Xbox, Airplay, etc. It's not the "confort" sound from Kodi or Shield.

Happy for your purchase!

Can you check if there's any humming from the subwoofer when the volume is 0 or 1 and music is playing? (not MUTE).

How can u manually update? Do you have the firmware zip?

Thanks

HI adyss,

Sorry for the late response.
I've tested your case...
When playing music from Spotify on phone to soundbar play-fi using Spotify play and volume on soundbar is on 0 I can indeed hear the subwoofer humming.
But... When keeping my ear close to the soundbar detachable side speakers I can also hear the music playing, really soft..
It seems the humming is just the bass that belongs to the song.

So the problem seems to be that even when the volume is on 0 there is still sound coming out of the device.

Can you confirm that you also hear sound coming from the side speakers even when soundbar volume is on 0

Can you also test the following:
Disconnect al hdmi cables from the soundbar and check if the sound is still there, then first connect the TV and check again, then connect your skybox or other devices one by one and check for sounds in between...

When there is no source playing Ican hear no sound coming from either the soundbar itself, it's detachable speakers or the subwoofer.

Last edited:
Hey, new here and just got the B97 a few days ago after getting a new tv. I’m no expert at all with soundbars etc but keen to get into it. Therefore wanted something ‘good’ and decided to go for the Fibelio B97 after a bit of investigation. Now I’m very pleased with the results and wanted to revert here on the so called humming: it depends on the input with me: when playing apple TV with volume to zero I can hear the sound playing very very low. When I mute it’s gone. However when I’m playing my set-topbox and I pause a tv programme, there is definitely a hum from the sub. So I don’t think it’s a soundbar issue. Just my 2 cents

I installed the B97 today aswell. It does sound really good. Very happy with the performance. Though, the humming is real. Disabling the 'comfort noise' to 'keep audio device alive' on Shield TV gets rid of it in that source. But there's no way to get rid of it when playing Netflix directly on my Pana GZ950, or when watching via my set top box..
When pausing, the sub hums and when fastforwarding or skipping the sub even creates another kind of 'buzz'.. Which is in my opinion more annoying than the softer hum..
I also noticed, the surround speakers, give a constant noise/crackle when silent or low volume is playing through those speakers.. It's only really noticeable when listening a bit more closely to it though, so not too annoying. But it makes the experience a bit less clean/pure..

Last edited:
I installed the B97 today aswell. It does sound really good. Very happy with the performance. Though, the humming is real. Disabling the 'comfort noise' to 'keep audio device alive' on Shield TV gets rid of it in that source. But there's no way to get rid of it when playing Netflix directly on my Pana GZ950, or when watching via my set top box..
When pausing, the sub hums and when fastforwarding or skipping the sub even creates another kind of 'buzz'.. Which is in my opinion more annoying than the softer hum..
I also noticed, the surround speakers, give a constant noise/crackle when silent or low volume is playing through those speakers.. It's only really noticeable when listening a bit more closely to it though, so not too annoying. But it makes the experience a bit less clean/pure..

So it really depends on the source.
Did you already searched on google for each source if this is a known issue? maybe there is a setting in the source device to turn it off, just like with the Nvidia Shield.

When I search for this particular problem on the forum in combination with for example, jbl 9.1, I can find similor results (buzzing or humming) but then only from the rear speakers.

The only sources I use are the Nvidia shield and a set top box from Ziggo, our local tv/internet company.
I did not test the set top box yet... will try this later today.
Also, I still have a 12 year old Sony Bravia tv, tow hich the soundbar is connected, it will be replaced this year by a new tv with eARC connection.

I agree, this is the best description of the issue so far. It's not the end of the world but yes, the experience is less 'pure' indeed.

The only sources I use are the Nvidia shield and a set top box from Ziggo, our local tv/internet company.
I did not test the set top box yet... will try this later today.
I did some testing with my set top box and indeed I can hear the humming/buzzing sound coming from the subwoofer and from the sattelite speakers.
The sound is there but I cannot hear it when I sit in my couch.
But since Philips is aware of this issue let's wait till they respond to it.
I will send them an e-mail as well.

regards

I filed a support ticket about it aswell. Asking if a firmware update is in the works, to adress this issue. I expect it to get resolved eventually aswell.
In the meantime it's only a minor annoyance for me, not at a level te return it, for me personally. I'll wait for the fix.

I went through the settings on the tv and the set-top box. But these don't have any options to turn comfort noise off.

This is The reply I got:

"Dear Sir Severens,

Thank you for your question. As a result of this, we would like to provide you with the following information.

This does not seem to be a known issue and is something we'd like to take a closer look at.

First, please try to adjust the gain control for the subwoofer:

Lowering this may very well solve the humming right away.

Please also make certain the subwoofer is positioned at least 1 meter away from the TV and soundbar.

Finally, if any issues remain, please attempt a factory reset:

Should any issues remain then we would assume a hardware defect, and would like to advise you to contact the retailer you've purchased the B97 from in order to request an in-warranty replacement."

So they are (or act) completely in the dark about it, still..
Now, I do have my sub pretty close to the bar.. could that be the culprit? Then again, I thought I read here that someone had its sub in the back corner, and still having the hums.. So that probably won't make a difference either

had moved my sub to the probe further away. The hum was still there. Today I had the answer again that Philips is looking for a solution.

HI adyss,

Sorry for the late response.
I've tested your case...
When playing music from Spotify on phone to soundbar play-fi using Spotify play and volume on soundbar is on 0 I can indeed hear the subwoofer humming.
But... When keeping my ear close to the soundbar detachable side speakers I can also hear the music playing, really soft..
It seems the humming is just the bass that belongs to the song.

So the problem seems to be that even when the volume is on 0 there is still sound coming out of the device.

Can you confirm that you also hear sound coming from the side speakers even when soundbar volume is on 0

Can you also test the following:
Disconnect al hdmi cables from the soundbar and check if the sound is still there, then first connect the TV and check again, then connect your skybox or other devices one by one and check for sounds in between...

When there is no source playing Ican hear no sound coming from either the soundbar itself, it's detachable speakers or the subwoofer.
Yes, I can confirm that the humming is there even if volume is set to 0 and Yes, if there's no source playing there's no sound coming.

Yesterday night I tried watching a movie on netflix at volume 02-03 but the humming was more powerful than the sound from the soundbar. I couldn't watch the movie at all so, I think this is a real problem and I hope for a new firmware asap.

had moved my sub to the probe further away. The hum was still there. Today I had the answer again that Philips is looking for a solution.
Strange that they answer me that they aren't aware of any issues, while they tell you they're working on it

I'm sure the B95 and B97 are good soundbars, but I would not pay that kind of money until Philips are confident of resolving the issue.

I'm sure the B95 and B97 are good soundbars, but I would not pay that kind of money until Philips are confident of resolving the issue.

I feel the same and this is the precise reason I've not upgraded my Sonos Beam despite actively looking, as a piece of hardware it does seem soundbars from multiple brands are disproportionately affected by problems.

Yes, I feel you :) Watched TENET in Imax DTS and it was mind blowing :0
I watched TENET yesterday too - totally on the same page, it was shaking my living room on the 09 volume level, wooow.

Yeah for that reason I would've liked some smaller increments in the volume.. I checked out half of Tenet imax edition. 8 is already a whole lot of volume. And the max is 30.. :-o
When watching via netflix on the tv it's ok. I can set it at 10-12. But playing via Shield (when I can't change the volume on the shield itself, like with Tenet for example) it's already really loud at 8. While lowering to 7 feels a bit too big of a step down in volume.

Last edited:
Yeah for that reason I would've liked some smaller increments in the volume.. I checked out half of Tenet imax edition. 8 is already a whole lot of volume. And the max is 30.. :-o
When watching via netflix on the tv it's ok. I can set it at 10-12. But playing via Shield (when I can't change the volume on the shield itself, like with Tenet for example) it's already really loud at 8. While lowering to 7 feels a bit too big of a step down in volume.
I thought it was only myself thinking about that :) I'm with you. It should be something 'in-between'.

through which medium did you guys contacted Philips/TP Vison about the soundbar issues?
I've tried the support page on Philips.nl (dutch) website but the device "B97/10" is unknown...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom