NEWS: Philips introduces new OLED+936 and OLED+986 TVs

Philips OLED+936 Review: Highest Full-Screen OLED HDR Brightness + Best-in-Class Sound.

Philips OLED+936 Review: Highest Full-Screen OLED HDR Brightness + Best-in-Class Sound.

936 worse for the 4k/120 issue than the 806.. Can only laugh. Mine will be going straight back..

936 worse for the 4k/120 issue than the 806.. Can only laugh. Mine will be going straight back..

No tv is perfect. If gaming is your priority, perhaps an LG is a better choice. Dual chip design means higher input lag, due to 30-40% more image processing. You are getting, however, the highest HDR brightness and the best sharpening algorithm on the market with this tv and the sound isn't too shabby either.

No tv is perfect. If gaming is your priority, perhaps an LG is a better choice. Dual chip design means higher input lag, due to 30-40% more image processing. You are getting, however, the highest HDR brightness and the best sharpening algorithm on the market with this tv and the sound isn't too shabby either.

I’m not sure about that.. I get no TV is perfect but this TV is advertised as full HDMI 2.1. HDMI 2.1’s main benefits are 4K/120 and VRR, it can do none of these. Not even 4K/120 with no VRR.

This is being completely mis-sold as it is now in my opinion.

Can anyone explain in clear and simple language what exactly are the issues Vincent identified in his video please?

I'm on the, "once you ambilight, you don't go back" camp and I'm about to pull the trigger so it's either the 936 or the 806.

I am a gamer, but not a professional one, I will connect the PS5 and a gaming laptop to the TV ... will I face any issues with the 936 that I won't with the 806? I understand one of these issues(half the vertical resolution) was also on the Panasonic but they fixed it with a firmware so it's not hardware-related and I expect Philips to follow:

In the end I agree with the user above, they can't hide behind "no TV is perfect", from day one they advertised this and the 806 set with "Your Philips OLED+ TV lets you make the most of your next-gen gaming gear. When you switch on your console, your TV automatically enters a special gaming mode, which ensures fast, responsive gameplay and incredibly smooth graphics. Ambilight's gaming mode brings the thrill into the room." so I expect to have that especially considering the price.

Panasonic has a different SOC mediatek than Sony and Philips. Your PS5 does not have VRR like the xbox X. Also, Sony OLED TVs do not have VRR and they promise to add with firmware. Your PS5 won't be able to play at 4K 120, at best it's 4K 60. At worst, 4K 30 ... Old games, or games with downscaled graphics will be able to play at 4k 120. But is it worth it?

4k 60 VRR is enough!

In "monitor" mode, Philips oled can correctly (!!!) display 4K 120! But without VRR.

In the "game" mode, when freesynnc equipment is detected, the TV turns on VRR

These restrictions are due to soc mt 5895. Panasonic has another SOC mediatek. And it's even worse than Sony or Phillips

Thanks Vinnie, you've helped me to decide to pass on this TV. It seems to have significant issues, esp with gaming.
I'm perplexed how Vinnie could give such an unreserved recommendation when he's got so many misgivings about the TV.
His review is probably the worst I've seen from him. Normally he's totally impartial and objective. However, this time, he looks anything but impartial.
As for this TV, its certainly not everything it's supposed to be. Therefore I'll hang fire until next year. Theres no rush.
Let's see what Sony can come up with next year.

Feel free to call me stupid but I'm still confused about the issues, whey they are and if they can be fixed via firmware.

For example this is from the other thread:

In answer to your question, as with our competitors who use the Mediatek chipset, Philips TV does halve the resolution in VRR 4K 120Hz mode. However, unlike our competitors, Philips TV is able to offer full vertical resolution at fixed frame rates at 4K 120Hz via the sets monitor setting.

"Philips TV is able to offer full vertical resolution at fixed frame rates at 4K 120Hz via the sets monitor setting." but according to Vincent this is not true? Is this correct?

If so, it would be for @Philips TV PQ to provide feedback.

Panasonic has a different SOC mediatek than Sony and Philips. Your PS5 does not have VRR like the xbox X. Also, Sony OLED TVs do not have VRR and they promise to add with firmware. Your PS5 won't be able to play at 4K 120, at best it's 4K 60. At worst, 4K 30 ... Old games, or games with downscaled graphics will be able to play at 4k 120. But is it worth it?

4k 60 VRR is enough!

In "monitor" mode, Philips oled can correctly (!!!) display 4K 120! But without VRR.

In the "game" mode, when freesynnc equipment is detected, the TV turns on VRR

These restrictions are due to soc mt 5895. Panasonic has another SOC mediatek. And it's even worse than Sony or Phillips

This isn’t correct at all, Vincent’s review clearly says the 936 cannot even achieve 4K/120 in monitor mode without VRR.

You say Panasonic has a ‘worse’ Mediatek SOC than Philips and Sony yet they’ve solved all issues with 4K/120/VRR?

Sounds like it is set on custom colour

If not...
Try a reboot in andriod settings

Last resort...
Factory reset ☹️
But this will set TV settings and everything back to day it came out the box
Unfortunately non of the factory resets fixed it, however I've today installed new f/w version 001.001.233.026 and the issue has gone away (no changelog avail yet). It looks like f/w 233.022 was the cause.

Its a shame that the ability to use 4K@120 with/without VRR (or in Monitor mode) is still so unclear, its one of the reasons I held off from buying a 2020 model, hoping the HDMI 2.1 implementations would be better in '21 - but 4K@60 with VRR isn't such a bad compromise. Not that I can get hold of an Xbox X yet anyway !

BTW, Seen that the HDMI org has now erased HDMI 2.0 altogether, now everything can be called HDMI 2.1 even if they contain ZERO 2.1 features - that'll make things much clear for everyone won't it. ! idiots.

This isn’t correct at all, Vincent’s review clearly says the 936 cannot even achieve 4K/120 in monitor mode without VRR.

You say Panasonic has a ‘worse’ Mediatek SOC than Philips and Sony yet they’ve solved all issues with 4K/120/VRR?
they have a different mediatek! As far as I read, Panasonic was able to do this in some kind of "bypass" mode that does not use image processing.

For all my complaints about the 120hz modes.. I finally got my TV delivered and set up today and wow.. Completely blown away. Upgrading from an LG B8 and wasn’t expecting a huge noticable difference in the picture quality going OLED -> OLED but it’s such a huge upgrade, immediately noticable even on the standard picture settings. Love the way the Philips handles motion in comparison.

Android TV is a lot better than the last time I had it (55POS9002) and feels a lot smoother. A bit frustrating that I seem to have to keep turning some settings off on every Input instead of centrally though (The light sensor!)

Love the design of the TV and how it floats on the soundbar, (Just wish the soundbar was black/a darker grey!).. It’s going to cause me to have a tidy up of my TV unit though as I previously had router, Switch dock etc ‘hid’ behind the last TV and now need the unit completely cleared to get full effect of the bottom Ambilight.

Happy enough with the soundbar with it cranked up a bit, can immediately notice the difference enabling Atmos on some of my favourite movies on Plex. I’ll probably add a wired sub though if I do keep the TV.

So, initial impressions great. Will get some good use out of it during the 30 day return period but think I’m definitely sold!

A bit frustrating that I seem to have to keep turning some settings off on every Input instead of centrally though (The light sensor!)
You should find that settings in (Personel Picture Modes) will retain settings for each input source etc.
So once you get it set up for that source it should remember the setting and change once detected, if that makes sense.

I tend to keep the Filmmaker, Vivid, Cinema etc, as stock and just setup using Personal and it remebers the changes I make for HDR, Dolby V, SDR.

I do the same for motion styles as well... Using Personal and set the 2 on screen sliders to zero in on the amount of 'de-judder' and 'motion blur' required for smooth playback.

Now finding that Im in the setting much less now and when i do it is showing exactly how i had set it up last time i was watching Blueray or IPTV or firestick.
Happy enough with the soundbar with it cranked up a bit, can immediately notice the difference enabling Atmos on some of my favourite movies on Plex. I’ll probably add a wired sub though if I do keep the TV.

Soundbar is very good on its own, but a wired sub will take it (noticably) to another level.

Some of the settings changes are quite confusing coming from a POS9002, though it's nice that there are some descriptions/hints now they are not all especially useful.

For instance, what does PureCinema do? I turned off all motion settings as I want the picture as unmolested as possible in Filmmaker Mode but I see a few people are using this. I read it improves 24p playback but does it affect other content?

HDR Perfect settings say to set to ADAPTIVE for HDR10+ adaptive content, but what happens if you leave it on this setting for regular HDR10 content?

Should I also leave the light boost level set to Maximum? If I turn it down everything appears very washed out, this looks like an eco setting.

Finally, what is the appropriate audio setting to have the soundbar choose what type of audio to play (e.g 2.0, 5.1, Atmos) - do I just leave it on original audio? This is the only setting that doesn't mention Atmos in the description! I assume all other settings for audio like AI/Movie are doing EQ/filtering/upmixing that I don't want.

Last edited:
Are there more people noticing that the "Natural" ambilight mode has changed since the latest update? (TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.026)

Before the update, when there were for example darker scenes in a movie the amblight was turned off, now the ambilight color stays full bright.

Hopefully they didn't changed it, the way it was before looks better in my opinion.

Does anyone know what type of Ethernet port the 65OLED936/12 has? eg 10 or 100 or 1Gb (2.5GB dreaming obv...)

and how does it compare to the WiFI ac (throughput speeds wise) ?

Does anyone know what type of Ethernet port the 65OLED936/12 has? eg 10 or 100 or 1Gb (2.5GB dreaming obv...)

and how does it compare to the WiFI ac (throughput speeds wise) ?

It is only 10/100.. Not gigabit.

In comparison, I comfortably get 800+mb/s from the built in WiFi.

Ethernet port on 65 OLED936 is FE (Fast Ethernet, 100 Mbps), unfortunately not Gigabit Ethernet... I checked it myself to be sure and it is in line with the official specs of this TV.

Hello, do you know if the floor stand of the 986 can be deatached (so it can be set up on a forniture like the 936)?

Thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom