NEWS: Philips introduces new OLED+936 and OLED+986 TVs

Sounds good - first review

I hope the prices quoted in that review are correct - 48" £1699, 55" - £1999, 65" 2699
It will make the Philips a great option for an EVO panel for 2021.

Really interested in the 65 but where can it be looked at?

The prices quoted in that Techadvisor review look likely to be widely off the mark given the prices quoted on the German Philips website.
It will be interesting to see the starting UK prices.
I would have bought the 65OLED936 day one at £2699.00 now I'll wait for a deal.

From Neue Philips OLED+ Modelle im Premium-Segment:

Preise (RRP)
65OLED986 – 4.299 Euro

48OLED936 – 2.299 Euro
55OLED936 – 2.799 Euro
65OLED936 – 3.899 Euro

Lets hope @Phil Hinton gets a 936 in for review. Looks very promising . Might be my first oled tv.

2800eu for 55inch in Germany?...
I paid 55inch LG G1 1400eu around month ago in Saturn shop.
Who is crazy here with this prices?.....

2800eu for 55inch in Germany?...
I paid 55inch LG G1 1400eu around month ago in Saturn shop.
Who is crazy here with this prices?.....
Philips prices typically fall in a matter of months.

The descriptions doesn't really mention main differences between 936 and 986 except the stand and B&W speaker size. Anyone has a good summary or article on the differences?

Last edited:
Philips on Facebook said to me that the 935 is due in shops in December.

edit: I’ve sent them the pressers saying Sept. See if I can get a definite.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a dedicated soundbar, should hopefully be better than a lot of the sub £200-300 systems.

The fact it's integrated should ideally minimise any sync issues as well.

Would be good to know if these sets will support the recently launched DTS Play-Fi Home Theatre protocol as it is expected to show up on devices launching in Q3. Either out of the box or via firmware update. It would be awesome to add wireless rear speakers to the B&W in-built sound bar.

Would be good to know if these sets will support the recently launched DTS Play-Fi Home Theatre protocol as it is expected to show up on devices launching in Q3. Either out of the box or via firmware update. It would be awesome to add wireless rear speakers to the B&W in-built sound bar.
The previous 984 model now has DTS Play-fi so I'd say the 986 will from the off.

I like the idea of a dedicated soundbar, should hopefully be better than a lot of the sub £200-300 systems.

The fact it's integrated should ideally minimise any sync issues as well.
I've got the 984 and the sound is amazing - easily comparible to soundbars costing towards the £1000 mark.

The previous 984 model now has DTS Play-fi so I'd say the 986 will from the off.
I think quite a few recent Philips models now support DTS Play-Fi, but they can only be used as part of a DTS Play-Fi Multiroom system. They can't serve as Master of a DTS Play-Fi Home Theatre system, despite the fact that TVs such as 935 or 984 have an in-built sound bar. Hopefully this will change with these new models coming in.

Last edited:
I dont know about the new OLEDs but it appears to be part of the new Philips firmware. The below pictures are from my 9636 and then downloading the Play-Fi app. I dont have any speakers yet to test it on unfortunately but it at least has the options within DTS play-fi menus. When i select through the app it detects the TV but errors when it cant see any surround speakers or sub.

TV-DTS-Play-Fi.jpg
APP-DTS-Play-Fi.jpg

So is there any (real) difference except 2.1 hdmi and input lag between the 48 inch 936 and last years 935.. And I'm not a gamer so. The new LG EVO panel is not made in 48 inches so.
Edit: After thinking about it bit I'm not really sure.. the LG G1 is not made in 48 inch at least but maybe they sell the Evo 48 to other manufactures.. hmm
I just watched Vincent Teohs video and they just switched places between the mesh and the grill on the silver with the soundbar. Maybe they switched places on the materials for the reflections or something.. hard to know.
I'm looking for a TV upgrade in the bedroom really.
I´m struggling motivate spending almost twice as much/double for a new model if there is negligent differences.

I very much see the purpose with the 55/65 though after reading that dutch review from earlier in the thread, seems like a fantastic tv with decent progressions. And i´ll have to wait a long time for the new to drop as well.. For instance full field white from 140-ish nits to 185 is major.
From the dutch review: 55, 65, 48? ABL not as aggressive on the evo-panel:
Keep in mind that HDR works with absolute brightnesses and that those differences therefore do not have such a huge effect. In SDR you often limit the brightness to a modest 200 nits, so you will often only notice the difference with predominantly white images.

It somewhat depends it the new price is closer to £1699 than 2299€ as well.. 48oled935 is about 1250€ in my country now. I just want to get the TV buying over with lol.

Edit: For example it looks like "AI Smart Bit Enhancement 2.0", decontouring, color banding filter was introduced last year so it should be decent on that years model as well. (+eArc is not really relevant when the soundbar is incorporated.)

E2: Yeah I found a significant difference.. BFI, black frame insertion, I wonder how much difference that does on an Oled that small though.. and if you ever use it for movies/series really, I dont think so

Last edited:
I've got the 984 and the sound is amazing - easily comparible to soundbars costing towards the £1000 mark.
Same feedback, I have 984 and both video and sound quality is superior and amazing! I was coming from LG OLED that went dead after 6years.

So is there any (real) difference except 2.1 hdmi and input lag between the 48 inch 936 and last years 935.. And I'm not a gamer so. The new LG EVO panel is not made in 48 inches so.
If you're after a 48" set and HDMI 2.1 is not of any interest then last year's model is the solution, it was heavily praised all around with the lack of HDMI 2.1 and the high input lag pretty much the only Cons.

And since you don't care about either of the two, it's indeed the perfect set especially since the price will of course go down now that the 936 is on the market.

I dont know about the new OLEDs but it appears to be part of the new Philips firmware. The below pictures are from my 9636 and then downloading the Play-Fi app. I dont have any speakers yet to test it on unfortunately but it at least has the options within DTS play-fi menus. When i select through the app it detects the TV but errors when it cant see any surround speakers or sub.

View attachment 1563856View attachment 1563857
Thanks for this. Good to know the option is there. The set up needs a Master to work though and from what I've seen in other discussions, TVs have not been able to serve as Master so far - a separate DTS Play-Fi enabled sound bar or receiver was required. However, it would make sense for TVs that already have an in-built sound bar to serve as Master.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom