NEWS: Philips introduces new OLED+936 and OLED+986 TVs

MALANT

Standard Member
May I ask how you decided on Presonus vs Fostex? I'm tempted to try the Philips one myself but I am also keen to see reviews of other subs from fellow forumites - everyone has different expectations from what they like in a sub I feel - my preference is for tight, punchy bass rather than deep and resonant.
My final decision was just a feeling that the Fostex might fall a bit short.
The 5'' speaker and 50W max output which really means 25W RMS just felt like it may end up sounding up pretty weak alongside the B&W soundbar.

Right now the Presonus is sitting in my home office waiting for the 65'' 936 to arrive from RS
Who knows when that will happen(starting to get a little impatient).
But when its finally here and wall mounted I will give my thoughts on the Presonus, and whether or not I think it compliments or dominates the soundbar.

technicalfreak

Standard Member
My 65” arrived today from Richer Sounds.

Anyone know if this comes with a mount to wall mount or do I have to buy a separate one? If so, any recommendations?

MALANT

Standard Member
Mine arrived yesterday.
Have my installer in on Wednesday to wall mount
It doesn't come with wall bracket
I am using a Sanus VLL 5 available from RS
Although I will point out that the supplied m6 Vesa screws supplied with the vll 5 are too long.
So have ordered M6 16mm screws separately to use to attach the bracket arms to the TV.
These will be perfect fit if you are using the spacers that come supplied with the TV, or if you decide to just go with no spacers at all.

My 65” arrived today from Richer Sounds.

Anyone know if this comes with a mount to wall mount or do I have to buy a separate one? If so, any recommendations?

Prime Time

I got my 65OLED+936 delivered yestereday from Richer Sounds.

I set it up this morning and I'm enjoying my first Amblight TV experience.
I upgraded from a 55" 2014 Sony X8505B IPS 4k TV so I'm enjoying the larger screen size and deeper blacks that OLED provides.

There is a promotion being run with Rakuten TV for an additional 12 Paramount UHD movies that you can register for if you've purchased a 2021 Philips TV between 15 th November 2021 – 23 rd of January 2022.
TV & Sound
I've never used Rakuten TV before but some free UHD Atmos movies makes it worthwhile checking out.

There is a myriad of options on this TV hidden away in the menus with various different sound presets for the soundbar which maybe worth investigating depending on the content that you're watching.

Attachments

• 65OLED936.png
    65OLED936.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 86

technicalfreak

Standard Member
Mine arrived yesterday.
Have my installer in on Wednesday to wall mount
It doesn't come with wall bracket
I am using a Sanus VLL 5 available from RS
Although I will point out that the supplied m6 Vesa screws supplied with the vll 5 are too long.
So have ordered M6 16mm screws separately to use to attach the bracket arms to the TV.
These will be perfect fit if you are using the spacers that come supplied with the TV, or if you decide to just go with no spacers at all.
Ah thanks for the heads up. I’m going to go RS and pick that up and order some screws. Are the spacers for the ambilight, if so I’ll definitely be using them. Now to find a fitter.

MALANT

Standard Member
Finaly I have had a night to enjoy this new TV.
Had it wall mounted yesterday.
Wow this TV is heavy...Hope it holds.
Used the provided spacers and kinda worried about them bending under the wieght...Wish they were M8 size.
Spacers are needed if wall mounting as you can see from 1 of my pics, the soundbar bracket would not clear the wall without them.

Anyway... its up...
Picture is great...Sound is great...Ambilight is great.
Watch a few episodes of 'The Expanse' on Amazon HDR10+
Detail is super, the near darks are awesome.
The hair on actors heads looks so real.

The soundbar is clear and detailed, although it does lack those low frequancy booms when watching action scenes.
A sub does put all that back in and blends well with the soundbar.
Needed to back off the gain a bit on the Presonus Eris 8 but easy to find the sweetspot on gain and cross over frequency to take over the super lows that the soundbar cant produce.
Dialogue is excelent, and there is some real punch from this soundbar.

Compairing Sub v's no Sub, there is no contest.
You cant expect a 4'' subwoofer (soundbar) to produce those super low frequencies.
But all the rest is there and in ample amounts for a medium size space.

Will play a bit more and see if i can find fault.

Football tomorrow night so that will test to see if dimming zones work well or not.

IMG_20211202_142450_3.jpgIMG_20211202_143849_3.jpgIMG_20211202_142607.jpg

Last edited:

Dylan888

Standard Member
Just had a software update request for 936. Have updated the TV and now my home button doesn’t work?

Anyone else having this issue?
BE47DE76-0693-4F21-BFC1-DD71B44CE4FA.jpeg

Last edited:

technicalfreak

Standard Member
Finaly I have had a night to enjoy this new TV.
Had it wall mounted yesterday.
Wow this TV is heavy...Hope it holds.
Used the provided spacers and kinda worried about them bending under the wieght...Wish they were M8 size.
Spacers are needed if wall mounting as you can see from 1 of my pics, the soundbar bracket would not clear the wall without them.

Anyway... its up...
Picture is great...Sound is great...Ambilight is great.
Watch a few episodes of 'The Expanse' on Amazon HDR10+
Detail is super, the near darks are awesome.
The hair on actors heads looks so real.

The soundbar is clear and detailed, although it does lack those low frequancy booms when watching action scenes.
A sub does put all that back in and blends well with the soundbar.
Needed to back off the gain a bit on the Presonus Eris 8 but easy to find the sweetspot on gain and cross over frequency to take over the super lows that the soundbar cant produce.
Dialogue is excelent, and there is some real punch from this soundbar.

Compairing Sub v's no Sub, there is no contest.
You cant expect a 4'' subwoofer (soundbar) to produce those super low frequencies.
But all the rest is there and in ample amounts for a medium size space.

Will play a bit more and see if i can find fault.

Football tomorrow night so that will test to see if dimming zones work well or not.

View attachment 1612591View attachment 1612592View attachment 1612593
Looks so good. Would you recommend a different bracket? Perhaps spreading the weight further along the joists across a larger area would help?

Also, how far off the wall are you?

MALANT

Standard Member
Looks so good. Would you recommend a different bracket? Perhaps spreading the weight further along the joists across a larger area would help?

Also, how far off the wall are you?
Actually the Sanus VLL 5 is more than sufficient in terms of width.
The arms that go into the back of TV sit in the middle with at around 25cm of wall bracket extending on either side of each arm.
I would actually recomend it. It is very solid.

I have dot and dab walls so have used Corefix 100mm screws for the backplate.
I used 6 of them with a Max weight limit of 150Kg.
Think the backplate is not going anywhere.

What concerns me is the 4 spacers that are pretty thin on the thread end. 4-5mm.

AdtAdt57

Yes, blank page only. Glad I don't normally use it!

@Dylan888 This was fixed for me with a reboot, rather than pull the mains plug…
… use All settings, Android Settings, Device Preferences, Reboot < which is at the bottom of the list.

Last edited:

StewieGriff

Standard Member
Just had a software update request for 936. Have updated the TV and now my home button doesn’t work?

Anyone else having this issue?View attachment 1612653
Yep exactly the same. Updated (took longer than I was expecting) - home button now shows a black screen.

Everything else is fine and the EPG no longer 'sticks' so you can move right.

BUT - this is a real downer. Anyone else feel like we're doing some beta-testing ????

MALANT

Standard Member
Yep exactly the same. Updated (took longer than I was expecting) - home button now shows a black screen.

Everything else is fine and the EPG no longer 'sticks' so you can move right.

BUT - this is a real downer. Anyone else feel like we're doing some beta-testing ????
View the post above yours
Follow instructions there
Just needs a reboot
Home screen is back

snooper

Hi can anyone with a 55 inch please measure the distance from bottom of the set(just the tv not the soundbar)to the bottom vesa holes please & put a picture up possibly too. I am refurbing a room & want to mount a wall bracket etc before getting the set but can’t find a tv in a shop anywhere near me to look at. Thanks for any assistance.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom