NEWS: Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021

Philips 9206 Premium100Hz DLED TV – available in Q2 in 55” & 65” screen sizes

• High quality 100Hz VA panel with a wide viewing angle
  • Direct dimmable LED backlight with Philips TV’s Micro Dimming Pro system to ensure superb contrast.
  • Powerful P5 picture processor
  • HDMI 2.1 capability is included with e-Arc, VRR for 4K from 40Hz to 120Hz, Auto Game mode and FreeSync Premium added to the Auto-Low-Latency mode of 2020 sets.
  • High quality 50W 2.1 sound system with rear mounted woofer with patented triple ring technology and four passive radiators for deep bass.
  • DTS Play-Fi for high-resolution multi-room audio.
  • Four-sided Ambilight for total viewing immersion.
  • Android TV 10 with Google Assistant built-in, Works with Alexa and ‘push to talk’ remote control.
  • Super slim set includes mid-silver, narrow brushed metal lower bezel with minimalist metal top and sides bezel frame
  • Metal dual-tone finish minimalist ‘sticks’ feet
Source: New Philips 2021 TV range - TP Vision
full specification:

Weirdly they have given the High end TVs a remote with Leather sides... so if you were a vegan you wouldn’t buy it.
Good spot, never considered that. Just another example why I think philips have no clue about current market trends and beliefs. Yeah "responsibility sourced leather" Seems like their Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) is just marketing fluff :D Should we buy wax then to protect leather :rotfl:
common Q&A how to protect / take care of my remote?:facepalm:

Philips 9206 / PUS9206 Premium TVs - specifications and features

Philips 9206 / PUS9206 Premium TVs - specifications and features
something not right there with specs listed or as usual Philips has no clue in modern tech...

So far downsides I see:
hdmi arc? i though eARC expected across all new models.
it leads me to think that 2x usb 2.0 and only 1 usb 3.0 (900mA)? So looks like again people will struggle with external drives.
LAN - guess no gigabit again...
no info on hardware either.
So far budget specs really.

Weirdly they have given the High end TVs a remote with Leather sides... so if you were a vegan you wouldn’t buy it.
I've just realised how old I am... I would never, ever thought about my remote control's finish material... What a weird world.

Here are the Philips TV prices 2021 range at some European retailers:
LED TV MOJ-TV modifieretown =proizvajalec-philips&filterouvernetowncollection=tip-resolucije-ultra-hd-4k&filteriptwinterfilter-voljo-od-2021-collection=na-voljo-od-2021-tip-resolucije-ultra-hd-4k&filter

TP Vision to launch exciting 2021 Autumn/Winter Philips TV & Sound product line-up via latest online special event – starting August 31st

I’ve been keeping an eye on these as potential upgrades to my 8204, as although I still really like my TV that I only bought a year ago, it doesn’t support HDMI 2.1 which I now ideally need for my new Xbox I bought a couple months ago. At the time I bought the 8204 I only had a Switch and didn’t intend to buy the next generation of consoles so didn’t care about HDMI 2.1, but plans changed as the pandemic kept disrupting everyday life for far longer than I ever imagined possible.

I’ve been wanting to see the prices for these for ages so thanks to poster above for the link to that EU retailer. Converts to about £600 for 50” 8506 and £1050 for 55” 9206. That’s a real shame as I was more enamoured with 9206 for the 4 sided ambilight and superior HDMI 2.1 features. That’s essentially LG CX pricing territory and so not something I think can justify no matter how much I like ambilight. Shame they integrated a subwoofer in that model as that must be partly why the price is so inflated. So I guess I’ll have to research more into 8506, though it wasn’t my first choice being only 60Hz and lacking some of those premium HDMI features.

I’ve been keeping an eye on these as potential upgrades to my 8204, as although I still really like my TV that I only bought a year ago, it doesn’t support HDMI 2.1 which I now ideally need for my new Xbox I bought a couple months ago. At the time I bought the 8204 I only had a Switch and didn’t intend to buy the next generation of consoles so didn’t care about HDMI 2.1, but plans changed as the pandemic kept disrupting everyday life for far longer than I ever imagined possible.

I’ve been wanting to see the prices for these for ages so thanks to poster above for the link to that EU retailer. Converts to about £600 for 50” 8506 and £1050 for 55” 9206. That’s a real shame as I was more enamoured with 9206 for the 4 sided ambilight and superior HDMI 2.1 features. That’s essentially LG CX pricing territory and so not something I think can justify no matter how much I like ambilight. Shame they integrated a subwoofer in that model as that must be partly why the price is so inflated. So I guess I’ll have to research more into 8506, though it wasn’t my first choice being only 60Hz and lacking some of those premium HDMI features.

I’m on the fence about splashing the cash for the 48” 806 OLED or going with the 50” 8506 which is very much the successor to my current 2018 Philips (I couldn’t go back to gaming without Ambilight).

In all honesty the 60hz thing is pretty low down on my list of priorities provided the 8506 still has VRR, I own a PS5 and an XSS and 120fps is going to be very rare among console games and rarer still in the kinds of games I play. If VRR can smooth things out between 30-60fps I think that’s where most games will be running.

My biggest concern is the gamma shift issue that affects all OLED’s when VRR is used, raising black levels. This would really bother me if I spent over £1k on a TV. Also having compared 48-50 inch TV’s in the flesh it is a noticeable difference and being that 50” is the absolute max I can fit in my space, I’d rather have the extra size if possible.

I’m on the fence about splashing the cash for the 48” 806 OLED or going with the 50” 8506 which is very much the successor to my current 2018 Philips (I couldn’t go back to gaming without Ambilight).

In all honesty the 60hz thing is pretty low down on my list of priorities provided the 8506 still has VRR, I own a PS5 and an XSS and 120fps is going to be very rare among console games and rarer still in the kinds of games I play. If VRR can smooth things out between 30-60fps I think that’s where most games will be running.

My biggest concern is the gamma shift issue that affects all OLED’s when VRR is used, raising black levels. This would really bother me if I spent over £1k on a TV. Also having compared 48-50 inch TV’s in the flesh it is a noticeable difference and being that 50” is the absolute max I can fit in my space, I’d rather have the extra size if possible.
Good point about the 120Hz thing. Even Series X has resolution compromises at 120Hz in many games. I only have Series S at the moment so even fewer games available at 120Hz. You’re right, I really shouldn’t obsess over that. Like you, it’s the VRR support that I really want. Feeling better about the 8506 now, I just wish it had 4-sided ambilight! I’ve fallen in love with ambilight, it’s a fantastic feature that I wouldn’t want to be without. I suppose 3-sided is fine though as I’m not wall mounting and that’s what I currently have and it still looks great.

I think VRR thing is more or less fixed by most. Samsung has fixed their issue although it was not that bad compared to LG oled.

I think VRR thing is more or less fixed by most. Samsung has fixed their issue although it was not that bad compared to LG oled.

LG has added a manual fine tune of the black level when using VRR as a band-aid solution but it’s sort of a moving goal post depending on the FPS of any given game. The root of the problem is at a hardware level on the panel and there’s yet to be any sign they’re going to re-engineer the panel to fix it. Being that Philips gets their OLED panels from LG it’s safe to assume this will affect the 806 etc as well.

AFAIK 2021 is the first year Philips has put HDMI 2.1 and therefore VRR on their TV’s so we’ve yet to see how their implementation will be, fingers crossed all will be well! Besides, at the price point of the 8506 I can probably deal with it being not quite flawless...

I think their SOC comes from mediatek which have been hit with hdmi 2.1 issues with many sets and I hope they have been able sort out most for this new chip.

Just an FYI, stock is now available for home delivery from Currys! 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom