NEWS: Philips announces 806, 856 and 706 OLED TVs for 2021

@Noblegamer Thank you very much!

1626849880829.png

I just highlighted the interesting part.
Toengel, the well-known German blog mentioned this as the SOC for (nearly) all the new 2021 Philips models. It seems he was right altogether. The MT5895 is the MediaTek platform it's based on, but Philips is using a custom board which is named (MT)9970A.

For everybody who was in doubt ;-)

Toengel usually has valid information because the source is Philips inside information.

Do you know does Philips develop their Firmware inhouse in Europe or do they need to relay on Chinese out sourcing? I am just wondering as firmware updates and after sales supports seems to be very important factor going forwards with these complicated TVs.

Don’t know either. Update cycles are ok*ish though and they often include the last 1-2 generations (depending on chipset capabilities). But added features of value are rare, it is more cosmetic updates (from my point of view).
LG seems to have the fastest and more user feedback oriented updates …

I definitely wouldn’t rely on what is promised as updates!!!
It happened before that they can’t keep up with their promises (as mentioned before - it is the same with other brands)

I wouldn't expect anything big from Philips when it comes to firmware updates. I suggest more like bugfixes.

Maybe It will be interesting for a few If there will be even an update for Dolby Vision 120HZ.
Don't expect regular updates like from LG.

LG and Samsung are fast. Rest are slow to do anything. Sony might the the worst now after their VRR scam.

LG and Samsung are fast. Rest are slow to do anything. Sony might the the worst now after their VRR scam.

Sonys VRR update policy is a disgrace for every consumer. Even their newer models don't support VRR at the moment. Philips puts them to shame with day one working VRR.

I got told by a local retailer which said they would get all the 2021 Philips TVs in July they no longer have any arrival dates for models that haven't been launched yet. Only some low-end ones, the 8506 and 706 went on sale.

I just ordered 55OLED806 from LDLC. They're in stock!
Grab 'em while you can :) Price is fair enough.

48" and 65" is also in stock:

Only delivery in France (métropolitaine), Belgique, Monaco, Espagne. though...
Let us know how that goes!

The Greek guy replied me yes as it is the same stand.
Don't know what you are talking about. There's no included adapter like Last year to raise the feet like mentioned in the dutch review and your question was If you can adjust the height of the feet. No this year there's no included adapter to do so.

The device barely hovers an inch above the furniture. It is therefore not possible to set up a soundbar without covering part of the screen. Last year, this was solved with an included adapter set to lift the screen a little higher. Unfortunately, this set is no longer available this year.

Last edited:
Hello all,

These pages on AO are now live with prices,

In general someone has to try what formats we get from eARC. This is the first time Philips is using eARC and I am really interested to know specifically about DTS. The official website says DTS HD but this doesn't say much about what we actually get from eARC. Is it just DTS, DTS-HD or even DTS:X?

We need someone to try all these formats to know.

In general someone has to try what formats we get from eARC. This is the first time Philips is using eARC and I am really interested to know specifically about DTS. The official website says DTS HD but this doesn't say much about what we actually get from eARC. Is it just DTS, DTS-HD or even DTS:X?

We need someone to try all these formats to know.
I'll dump the EDID data once I have the tv and share it here. (I can't test eARC specifically/practically since my receiver only does ARC - Although I'm wondering if DD+ (plus) will work over ARC... Especially when using Netflix/Disney+/ ... )
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V667

Both the 806 and the 706 are available in Hungary! Prices are batter than expected, for now at least:
55" 806 for 1,444€
48" 806 for 1,111€
55" 706 for 1,192€
The 65" versions are not listed, nor the 48" version of the 706.
Waiting for more reviews, but really wanna buy the 55" 806.

The store that told me they no longer know when they'll go on store just put them up (prices are converted and rounded to nearest hundred):
48OLED806 - 1400 EUR vs LG OLED48C1 - 1100 EUR
55OLED706 - 1600 EUR vs LG OLED55B1 - sold out
55OLED806 - 1800 EUR vs LG OLED55C1 - 1400 EUR
No discounts yet.

Hello all,

These pages on AO are now live with prices,

While I’ve used AO.COM before for white goods this would be a first for a TV…
… they only offer a one year warranty, while others (who don’t have them yet) say Philips give a 5 year? I tried an AO web chat, but all they said was I could pay 9.95 a month as long a I wanted for a full warranty including accidental breakage - so this would be close to £600 for 5 years albeit with the insurance cover. Is this normal these day, I just wanted a decent time 3 to 5 years…?

While I’ve used AO.COM before for white goods this would be a first for a TV…
… they only offer a one year warranty, while others (who don’t have them yet) say Philips give a 5 year? I tried an AO web chat, but all they said was I could pay 9.95 a month as long a I wanted for a full warranty including accidental breakage - so this would be close to £600 for 5 years albeit with the insurance cover. Is this normal these day, I just wanted a decent time 3 to 5 years…?
I wouldn’t want to be paying that a month long term. John Lewis for example is £140 for accidental damage I think for 5 years. I’ve just got the 48” from richer sounds coming with 6 year warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom