NEWS: Philips announces 806, 856 and 706 OLED TVs for 2021

I’m close to buying the 65OLED805....

Which model is replacing this? 806 I assume?

Having 2 HDMI 2.1 ports seems like enough however it's a shame you'd have to sacrifice one of them to use it for EARC. I realise normal ARC is a lot different but Philips LCD supports ARC on all 4 inputs, it would be useful to be able to select a none 2.1 input for EARC.

i was going to buy a new tv this spring , but i will wait for the new tvs and also wait for the richer sound sales.. So hard to find any of the retailers selling philips, Peter tyson doesn't. Currys and RS are the main retailers

Cheers and thought so.

Now whether to wait and get a reduced price 805 or wait for the 806...
If you only care for a great picture for the price the 805 will be fine.
If you want to be save on the latest hardware and future compatibility for connecting AV equipment or gaming consoles wait for the 806 - since it has HDMI 2.1.
Been waiting since 803 ;)

Looking forward to seeing the review on these.
Any idea of how soon the review samples will come in @Phil Hinton ?

If you only care for a great picture for the price the 805 will be fine.
If you want to be save on the latest hardware and future compatibility for connecting AV equipment or gaming consoles wait for the 806 - since it has HDMI 2.1.
Been waiting since 803 ;)
I don’t game but I am worried the 805 won’t be as future proof with lack of HDMI 2.1 / eArc. Guess I’ll see how much cheaper the 805 becomes

Cheers and thought so.

Now whether to wait and get a reduced price 805 or wait for the 806...
For me, I need 4-sided ambilight as the TV is going to be wall mounted. Besides, HDMI 2.1 ensure future proofing.

I am still using my Kuro 500a everyday and yet every year for the past few years TV manufaurers are claiming to have the best picture quality but every year new tech comes out to give even better quality, So how bad were these LED/Oleds a few years ago, Can you really see the differance, Now Phillips are claiming that the new LED is going to have very good blacks.

I am torn on what to do.
Will the 2020 model now start dropping in price? or due to the fact that there isn't many manufactured means that they will hold their price.

I am in no rush to buy a new TV yet , So this 2021 range, When will richerr sounds start to discount them in sales. , Over Xmas , Their was approx £300 of a philips TV.

On another note, I wonder if all the software issues fixed that are showing on the 2020 models thats talked about on the forum. ?

For me, I need 4-sided ambilight as the TV is going to be wall mounted. Besides, HDMI 2.1 ensure future proofing.
Ahh that’s a good point.

So will mine, so may look a little odd only 3 sided. Hadn’t thought about that...

I can just see the 805 being £800 cheaper once the 806 arrives :cool:

I don’t think my AVR has HDMI 2.1 so that may not help me anyway to start

Last edited:
I am still using my Kuro 500a everyday and yet every year for the past few years TV manufaurers are claiming to have the best picture quality but every year new tech comes out to give even better quality, So how bad were these LED/Oleds a few years ago, Can you really see the differance, Now Phillips are claiming that the new LED is going to have very good blacks.

I am torn on what to do.
Will the 2020 model now start dropping in price? or due to the fact that there isn't many manufactured means that they will hold their price.

I am in no rush to buy a new TV yet , So this 2021 range, When will richerr sounds start to discount them in sales. , Over Xmas , Their was approx £300 of a philips TV.

On another note, I wonder if all the software issues fixed that are showing on the 2020 models thats talked about on the forum. ?
LED had reasonable blacks in the past too, just philips only now started using tech getting it to that level... remember philips sources panels, they do not develop/manufacture them....
Time will show, philips only released marketing junk info, no real hardware spec is yet available. I would not put much will into software as philips is like 3 years behind on software support in comparison to likes SONY. Ideally we would need to know platform details as this would guide on difference between 2020 model.

Hope they release more details about the 706 and it follows last year's budget model in dropping to sub £900. Even seen the 754 for under £800 new.

Will be my next TV once it does.

LED had reasonable blacks in the past too, just philips only now started using tech getting it to that level... remember philips sources panels, they do not develop/manufacture them....
Time will show, philips only released marketing junk info, no real hardware spec is yet available. I would not put much will into software as philips is like 3 years behind on software support in comparison to likes SONY. Ideally we would need to know platform details as this would guide on difference between 2020 model.

Philips OLED TVs regularly win blind tests here and on other enthusiast sites/YouTube channels.

Philips OLED TVs regularly win blind tests here and on other enthusiast sites/YouTube channels.
no doubt OLED is on win as selection is really low from manufacturers. But malctAN reffered to LED vs OLED where philips LCD/LED tv's just been budget range with cheap panels and poor backlight tech. New LCD/LED range should bring some latest tech improving overall experience and blacks. But cost could well be near OLED knowing philips.

I have a very old Philips 21.9 Cinema Display TV that I have been itching to upgrade for about 2 year, even though the 1080p picture quality is excellent.

Ever since Sonos introduced their new Dolby Atmos speaker I have been wanting to upgrade my Sonos sound bar as well

Finally with 2.1 and four sided amblignt and not to mention 4K and I can get a real night and day difference by upgrading

Only question is - do I go 65” Oled or Mini LED

I have a very old Philips 21.9 Cinema Display TV that I have been itching to upgrade for about 2 year, even though the 1080p picture quality is excellent.

Ever since Sonos introduced their new Dolby Atmos speaker I have been wanting to upgrade my Sonos sound bar as well

Finally with 2.1 and four sided amblignt and not to mention 4K and I can get a real night and day difference by upgrading

Only question is - do I go 65” Oled or Mini LED
Ask your bank account :D OLED would be choice if can afford. Mini LED is more for those who worried about burn in.

Ask your bank account :D OLED would be choice if can afford. Mini LED is more for those who worried about burn in.

Thanks, that probably settles it give that we play the “Apple TV Fireplace” an awful lot.

However, my main concern is that that room the TV goes in is very bright, I understand OLED performs best in darker rooms, although I have yet to understand what mini led performance is in bright rooms

Thanks, that probably settles it give that we play the “Apple TV Fireplace” an awful lot.

However, my main concern is that that room the TV goes in is very bright, I understand OLED performs best in darker rooms, although I have yet to understand what mini led performance is in bright rooms
Expectation is that new OLED models will have much better performance. And to be fair any tv would struggle express its performance in bright sunny room. Any sun or reflections should be eliminated or tv repositioned for better experience. Worth to mention OLED DCI-P3 colour space is like 99% where mini led claims will have 95% (reality might be different). Not that it would make much difference, but already indicates that mini led not exact competitor. Forgot to mention well could be that mini LED panels 8bit+frc rather than true 10bit...

Very nearly pulled the trigger on an OLED+935 last year but, as I was lucky enough to get hold of a PS5, the lack of HDMI 2.1 finally persuaded me to hold off. Glad I did now as there looks to be some excellent TV's coming in 2021, from Philips and other manufacturers.

This is great news, exactly what I was hoping for from Philips this year as I wanted to upgrade the older LED/LCD Philips I use for gaming in my man cave ready for the next gen consoles! I nearly pulled the trigger on a 48” LG CX as Philips’ 2020 offerings were lacking in the next gen gaming department but I since I’ve gamed with Ambilight I don’t think I could go back...plus I have rear hue lights that sync with it too. Bit OTT for watching movies but SUPER immersive for gaming, still a criminally underrated feature IMO.

Any idea if the Philips OLEDs will have TV led or source led DV this year? I've tried to find out which type last year's models had but haven't had much luck

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom