NEWS: Philips announces 806, 856 and 706 OLED TVs for 2021

I see, thanks. So basically all TVs with this specific MediaTek SoC have this issue except those with auxiliary chips.
It's a shame as there is €1000 deal for the 55inch 706 in my country and I am seriously considering it. Do you happen to know if LG OLEDs which have a different SoC or 2021 Sony OLEDs have the same issue?

I see, thanks. So basically all TVs with this specific MediaTek SoC have this issue except those with auxiliary chips.
It's a shame as there is €1000 deal for the 55inch 706 in my country and I am seriously considering it. Do you happen to know if LG OLEDs which have a different SoC or 2021 Sony OLEDs have the same issue?
LG TVs don't have these Philips issues

Interesting, as in my signature, I still have my 9002 from its UK availability in November 2017 - which I’ve had no audio issues with. I don’t use the TVs speakers as my AVC uses audio via HDMI ARC from the TVs terrestrial tuner and built in Apps. All other video to the TV comes from the audio being removed by the AVC before getting to the TV - i.e. from 4K and high end sound from Blu-ray, Apple TV, Prime Cube directly connected to the AVC. When not wanting to fill the room I also use Optical output from the TV to a soundbar as the quality of the TVs speakers is so poor.

So, I guess I’m lucky the way I use audio works for my setup and, hopefully, I remain lucky with changes of kit… like the so far elusive 55OLED936.

P.S. I do have one serious issue as I was led to believe UHD HDR ‘HLG format’ was available from HDMI, unfortunately when I was able to try and use it, it doesn’t work. At least, after 18 months without it, the built in BBC iPlayer App now has HLG. Some folk were recently offered a new 806 that can do this, my support request is still ‘under investigation‘ after two years - so my confidence in what Philips say is low.
Just an update, I decided to buy a 55OLED936, as now available in the UK…
… as there’s a specific 936/986 thread I’ll be using that for any comments.
I will keep an eye on this thread in case there’s any overlapping comments.

Last edited:
Hi

706 owners, does your quick menu give you the option to quickly change Audio Ouput from TV Speakers to HDMI?

There are two copies of the manual online, one that shows you can, and the other shows its burried in advanced settings.

Thanks

James

Hi

706 owners, does your quick menu give you the option to quickly change Audio Ouput from TV Speakers to HDMI?

There are two copies of the manual online, one that shows you can, and the other shows its burried in advanced settings.

Thanks

James
Cannot tell about 706, but 806 has; and it should have the same interface

Hi

Looking at buying a 77" 806, but have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

1) Does the TV offer the functionality of using your own photo folder as a screensaver? I've read that the default is Philips logo on black, but I'm hoping that can be overridden... If this isn't possible do you think that could change with the update from Android TV to Google TV early next year?

2) I'm reading a lot about buggy firmware, from experience will Philips eventually get it right and support the TV until the problems are solved? (I don't mind a few issues here & there if they're only going to last for a few months).

Really love the look of this TV & it currently being available for £3K from RS makes me think that now is the time, but don't want to end up with years of bug-related headaches.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

wow... perhaps Philips / TP Vision can investigate a lil bit more to support also 120hz with DV.

Dolby Vision at 23,97 Hz does still not work properly.

I really doubt that this TV is really capable of doing DV at 120Hz.

Not gonna happen, they don't even do 4K120 with VRR, I doubt they will support DV at 4K120. LG has its own SoC.

Wanted to write exact the same.👍
Would be even a wonder If they fix their blury VRR "4k" 120hz.

How people think they can get DV at 4k 120 is beyond me.

I’m split between thinking ‘4k/60 VRR/Dolby Vision is fine’ and ‘wait another year until they release a future proof model’..

It’s a bit of a kick when a 1.5+ year model of LG is getting all 4k/120 features..

I’m split between thinking ‘4k/60 VRR/Dolby Vision is fine’ and ‘wait another year until they release a future proof model’..

It’s a bit of a kick when a 1.5+ year model of LG is getting all 4k/120 features..
Thats the point.

I was as well, I think if you only plan to use it for console gaming ‘4k/60 VRR/Dolby Vision is fine’ is actually fine. If you have a good GPU and plan to use it for PC gaming though...
Also there is no guarantee next year's Philips model will have this solved if it uses the same SoC.

Instead of fixing all the problems with their televisions they have just removed mine review from their Belgian Philips website. I'll guess that they really don't want any negative publicity anymore.

Also the answers I've received recently is a bit more aggressive from Philips. They are saying that they are aware of the problems, but still everything is in investigation. They will fix the issues but really don't know when and that it probably will take some time.

That's really a bummer for all of us...because we're facing with this issues for several months!

May be you just already have a latest firmware?
No I haven't the latest firmware. How am I suppose to make such statement without checking It before writing?

My firmware is

The latest firmware ends with 233.012.

The 806/856/876 are running firmware 001.001.233.012.

For some strange reasons their is no mention at all about the several updates that those televisions has got in the past months on their website. Neither can you download a firmware.

The story seems to be different for the 706. On the Philips site you can see the changelog and even download the firmware.

But normally the .012 firmware should work with all the 2021 models like the 706, 806, 856, 856, 936, 986, 9x06 and the 85x6.

No idea why they haven’t pushed out.

Instead of fixing all the problems with their televisions they have just removed mine review from their Belgian Philips website. I'll guess that they really don't want any negative publicity anymore.

Also the answers I've received recently is a bit more aggressive from Philips. They are saying that they are aware of the problems, but still everything is in investigation. They will fix the issues but really don't know when and that it probably will take some time.

That's really a bummer for all of us...because we're facing with this issues for several months!
Welcome to philips world, that's their normal behaviour. They delete any negative constructive evidenced feedback. Same happens on their forum. Most of issues gets just brushed under carpet. Later we just see same issues coming to new models etc... Even so they "are aware of the problem"... Their customer support is just time winner so you go past return return period and get forgotten. All they expect that you will get on with it as it is. IF return rate is not high they wont bother investing in issue fixing.
Your best bet to speed up fix of issues you have is to collectively returning products back to retailer with feedback. Retailer then will push philips to fix it or will stop selling their products altogether. Many retailers no longer stock philips tv's and I guess there is reason for that!
You are in full rights to return tv for refund even after few months of ownership if it does not do what it claimed it can.

Manage to get a 65 706. Enjoying it. Works with my Yamaha sound bar. I can select tv speakers or HDMI. Ambilight works. Google tv seems ok though I have an nvidia shield as well. Downloaded app works fine. Wi-Fi working. Xbox series x detects 120fps compatability. Was gonna go for the LG C1 but for £1199 I thought this was a bargain. Little one playing Lego on switch ha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 146

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom