NEWS: Panasonic unveils JX940, JX850 and JX800 LED TVs for 2021

Struggling to get my head around the various differences from the 2020 HZ lineup - JX940 sounds like an evolution of the HX940 IPS set dropping the 43" size but gaining HDMI 2.1 ("game mode extreme"?). Looks as though they've dropped the IPS HX900. Instead there's the JX850 and JX800 which both sound like variations on the VA HX800. Multiple processor/software variations between the three - the JX800 loses Atmos but is the only set with Android (and therefore a decent app selection - ?!). Do the 850 and 800 get any HDMI 2.1 ports? New remote as well

edit. HDMI 2.1 on all of the OLEDs but only the JX940 in LCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
JX940 49 inch looks promising for gaming.

But I guess they will be Ips like always.

Odd that the press release states there will be a 49 JX940 but it is not on the Panasonic website ?

Interestingly, the Japanese variant of 43 inch JX850 comes with 4k120Hz refresh rate and VRR, but is priced extremely high at 159,000 Yen (1034 pounds)

My 8yr old TXL42ET60B has now developed a faulty screen, so was about to buy aTX50HX800B to replace it, but wonder if I should wait for the TX50JX800B? I love my IPS screen, but are there any Panasonic models that have, or will have an IPS screen and all the bells and whistles for 4k watching? I will wait and see the prices for the 850 and 940, the JX800 is £699 at Curys and Richer Sounds, so how much more will the higher spec models be? I am budget restricted. Also should I go for Android TV or stick to the Panasonic O/S?

Unboxed and set up a JX800 today, have to say it was very disappointing, PQ was shockingly bad, even worse than last year's terrible HX700 range.

Text was very poor in the guide, colour was flat, and it runs pretty slow with the Android TV system, I'm pretty confident that even though its an "Assembled in Chechz Republic" it's a bought in model, it just doesn't feel or look like a proper Panasonic TV.

Light bleed around the edges of the screen was awful, for a VA panel I've not seen one this bad, definitely one to avoid IMO

Looks like it'll be another year where the only Panasonic TVs worth owning are Oleds.

Unboxed and set up a JX800 today, have to say it was very disappointing, PQ was shockingly bad, even worse than last year's terrible HX700 range.

Text was very poor in the guide, colour was flat, and it runs pretty slow with the Android TV system, I'm pretty confident that even though its an "Assembled in Chechz Republic" it's a bought in model, it just doesn't feel or look like a proper Panasonic TV.

Light bleed around the edges of the screen was awful, for a VA panel I've not seen one this bad, definitely one to avoid IMO

Looks like it'll be another year where the only Panasonic TVs worth owning are Oleds.

Are you able to compare it to the HX800?

This sounds worrying as I've recently got a 43inch HX940 which is actually quite good for an IPS (especially with the settings dialed in) and am thinking of getting the 75 inch JX940 later this year for the main room

Are you able to compare it to the HX800?

This sounds worrying as I've recently got a 43inch HX940 which is actually quite good for an IPS (especially with the settings dialed in) and am thinking of getting the 75 inch JX940 later this year for the main room

The current 40hx800 is a far better TV, Contrast, colour, Brightness is just so much better, it runs quicker too being a more basic smart system, Light bleed is very minimal on the Hx800 in store, i haven't seen one in a living environment to see what dark scenes are like, but in the shop the JX800 is just plain awful.

Hopefully with the JX850 being the standard MyhomeScreen system it'll be a Proper panasonic TV with decent screen.

The current 40hx800 is a far better TV, Contrast, colour, Brightness is just so much better, it runs quicker too being a more basic smart system, Light bleed is very minimal on the Hx800 in store, i haven't seen one in a living environment to see what dark scenes are like, but in the shop the JX800 is just plain awful.

Hopefully with the JX850 being the standard MyhomeScreen system it'll be a Proper panasonic TV with decent screen.

Hopefully - I'm very curious about the JX940 with filmmaker mode out of the box - I'm favouring the 940 series over the 800 series for the 100/120hz panel, I believe the new JX850 will also only have a 50/60hz panel

1 security update every month so far for Android JX700 and JX800 in Asia/Oceania:

Improvements
Date/Version Description
May 27, 2021
Ver.4.040

Update security patch (Apr. 5, 2021)
Improve system stability.

Apr. 14, 2021
Ver.4.036

.Update security patch (Mar. 5, 2021)
Improve system stability.

Mar. 15, 2021
Ver.4.025

Update security patch (Jan. 5, 2021)
Improve system stability

Hmm... maybe a duff unit. Panels are still Innolux as far as I know (are they still super glossy? If so, Innolux). But there's a panel shortage going on the moment, so it could explain a few things.

Android will surely get faster/better with updates (I'm guessing to Google TV fairly soon).

HX700 wasn't Panasonic produced, so seems an unfair comparison.

IMO they should've gone for direct LED (global dimming). Who cares how thin a TV is really?

JX850 is basically the HX800 renamed, so I'm guessing it's superior.

I wonder if the panel is different in the JX800... maybe from a Chinese supplier. Rest of the TV is Panasonic, not TCL yet. Guess we can see that in 2022 (not excited!).

Hmm... maybe a duff unit. Panels are still Innolux as far as I know (are they still super glossy? If so, Innolux). But there's a panel shortage going on the moment, so it could explain a few things.

Android will surely get faster/better with updates (I'm guessing to Google TV fairly soon).

HX700 wasn't Panasonic produced, so seems an unfair comparison.

IMO they should've gone for direct LED (global dimming). Who cares how thin a TV is really?

JX850 is basically the HX800 renamed, so I'm guessing it's superior.

I wonder if the panel is different in the JX800... maybe from a Chinese supplier. Rest of the TV is Panasonic, not TCL yet. Guess we can see that in 2022 (not excited!).
Are Panasonic going to use TCL panels soon then ?

We've since have the JX850 in, only the 40" model, it is definitely better than the 800, the remote feels cheap though, but has more buttons for direct app access, just a shame it's stuck on Panasonic my home screen system.

Both the 50/58 jx800 look terrible, they also don't play well with ARC, massive delays in the volume when adjusting.

They have both updated to Google TV which is better than Android TV and more fluid.

Panasonic is not a brand I would be buying again though, to many issues with past purchases, and support gets worse every year.

Are Panasonic going to use TCL panels soon then ?

We've since have the JX850 in, only the 40" model, it is definitely better than the 800, the remote feels cheap though, but has more buttons for direct app access, just a shame it's stuck on Panasonic my home screen system.

Both the 50/58 jx800 look terrible, they also don't play well with ARC, massive delays in the volume when adjusting.

They have both updated to Google TV which is better than Android TV and more fluid.

Panasonic is not a brand I would be buying again though, to many issues with past purchases, and support gets worse every year.
Thanks for info.

Not panels, TCL are going to make TVs for them (as they already do in many countries across the globe, India and others iirc where Panasonic is just a 'name' on TVs).

Probably won't happen for a few years yet.

Sadly although Panasonic has high integrity it never really was an LCD TV maker and never really understood the market as all efforts went on Plasma.

JX850 is just a rebrand of HX800 isn't it? To all intents and purposes?

JX850 has the new AI processor and adds eARC, but the underlying LCD panel is very similar

Thanks for info.

Not panels, TCL are going to make TVs for them (as they already do in many countries across the globe, India and others iirc where Panasonic is just a 'name' on TVs).

Probably won't happen for a few years yet.

Sadly although Panasonic has high integrity it never really was an LCD TV maker and never really understood the market as all efforts went on Plasma.

JX850 is just a rebrand of HX800 isn't it? To all intents and purposes?
It is yeah, slightly annoying numbering this time as you'd think jx800 is the hx800 but it's not.

I’m a duffer when it comes to technology but I do appreciate quality so I currently have two Panasonic tv’s which have given good service during past 12 years and are still going strong. My problem is I sometimes struggle to hear quieter passages of conversation particularly when background music is playing. I’m in my 70’s which May account for it and I’ve also had my ears de-waxed. Hasn‘t improved things.

Decided to treat myself and get new model.I’m restricted for space so have been looking at the Panasonic TX-40JX800B. I thought it might be a winner but have been disappointed to see that it doesn’t do well on the sound reviews and some of you tv buffs don’t rate picture quality either. I don’t want to go for a larger screen however everyone I speak to keeps plugging the LG. I’d appreciate your views.

I've seen nothing but negative reviews for the 40JX800B. You can try the step up model 40JX850B which has a superior processor and OS, or try TCL they make great budget TVs

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom