NEWS: Panasonic release OLED firmware update to fix motion stutter

Good to see that they have addressed this issue

The firmware page from that link still has the old version from August?

I assume this is the 290b update posted by Panasonic France, mentioned in the EZ952 thread?

edit: Ah I see the little extra download link now. Sorry.

Last edited:
A manufacturer that listened, and addresses the issue will always get my respect.

Unbelievable that you pay (alot) for a TV and issues like this exist. It was not that long time ago when you bought a TV and it just worked, no software crashes, stutters, audio sync etc issues... Many product that gets software just became worse. A TV don't need complex software, nor a fridge or washing machine. Latter product categories at least have "non-smart" options, why can't we just buy the display that works?

What's next? TV manufacturers will follow the game industry and will ask for money for software updates/fixes or for extra features?

Panasonic was aware of this issue for a very long time, very slow fix response, however nobody can beat Sony with fast updates (sarcasm). LG has issues and shame on them too but at least they can fix issues fast, if nobody is capable to release a product problem free then at least they should be fast with the fixes.

Yeah but the picture on those TVs was rubbish because they didn't have as much technical innovation. With added complexity comes added problems.

Interesting that update is only for OLEDs, the LCDs that use the hcx processor don't have an update, unless they don't exhibit the stutter issue ?

Many product that gets software just became worse. A TV don't need complex software, nor a fridge or washing machine.

Modern TV's do need software, to turn the digital signals they recieve into picture and sound. This is not a simple task. Analogue TV, where you could just throw the incomming signal up on screen, doesn't exist anymore.

I have tried the patch, and tested on material that stuttered before (on both 270b and 280b) and can confirm that there is no improvement to stutter with IFC switched on (which was pretty much the only scenario when you'd get stutter on the previous 2 firmwares).

@Steve Withers, where did you get the info about it fixing motion stutter? Just wondering if it was from Panasonic?

Cheers

MR

TV and it just worked

and this because that tv was so crappy you couldn't tell if it had any flaws.

problem with flaws/bugs like this is, you need to be able to 100% to finger point the issue, not just result, to fix it without messing up something else.

cheers

Interesting that update is only for OLEDs, the LCDs that use the hcx processor don't have an update, unless they don't exhibit the stutter issue ?

yes my LCD 902b has the stutter issue, so it better come to the 902b aswell, im already argueing with panasonic regarding this!

@Steve Withers can you find out if this is coming to the 902 LEDs from Panasonic?, i have sent them a separate email aswell

Last edited:
I have tried the patch, and tested on material that stuttered before (on both 270b and 280b) and can confirm that there is no improvement to stutter with IFC switched on (which was pretty much the only scenario when you'd get stutter on the previous 2 firmwares).

@Steve Withers, where did you get the info about it fixing motion stutter? Just wondering if it was from Panasonic?

Cheers

MR

So they didnt fix anything? ...LOL... Panasonic support just being rubish as always.

This should not be a surprise to anyone, Panasonic support is just bad, the only reason that some of the 2017 models received some attention is because they have an agenda with the hdr10+, normally after half a year they forget their products.

Still waiting for that Netflix HDR update for my 2015 HDR TV.

Sorry but Panasonic never again.

yes my LCD 902b has the stutter issue, so it better come to the 902b aswell, im already argueing with panasonic regarding this!
Don't get your hopes up, it does nothing to fix stutter for me.

I'm curious as to where the info has come from that this FW update is to fix stutter. Panasonic are renowned for failing to admit problems, so if they've released a FW update and said its to address the stutter I'm surprised to say the least.

Cheers

MR
Yes directly from Panasonic.

Cheers

MR

its my understanding that IFC should be switched OFF as it introduces extra processing, i get the stutter on 24htz material the worst!

its my understanding that IFC should be switched OFF as it introduces extra processing, i get the stutter on 24htz material the worst!
That's not the point. You shouldn't have to turn it off, especially if you want to use it. That should be your choice, after all it was a feature that I made sure this set featured prior to purchasing it. If the feature should not be used under certain circumstances it should be greyed out/unavailable, as other processing features are with certain sources/picture modes.

If you had a car that misfired when you accelerated hard you'd want it fixed, you wouldn't just change your driving style and preference to work around it.

That's not the point. You shouldn't have to turn it off, especially if you want to use it. That should be your choice, after all it was a feature that I made sure this set featured prior to purchasing it. If the feature should not be used under certain circumstances it should be greyed out/unavailable, as other processing features are with certain sources/picture modes.

If you had a car that misfired when you accelerated hard you'd want it fixed, you wouldn't just change your driving style and preference to work around it.

dont shoot the messenger mate i agree with you...if they send an engineer to me and say its within spec to have constant stutter. there will be a big problem, panasonic customer service is also notoriously rubbish..its took them a year to come up with a firmware and now it doesnt work!

dont shoot the messenger mate i agree with you...if they send an engineer to me and say its within spec to have constant stutter. there will be a big problem, panasonic customer service is also notoriously rubbish..its took them a year to come up with a firmware and now it doesnt work!
Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't having a go at you. But increasingly I'm seeing people start to accept this stutter, and I simply want to highlight to anyone reading that this isn't something any of us should accept, or feel we should work around at the expense of features we've paid damn good money to be able to use. I'm making noise. A lot of people who initially were passionate about this bug have lost interest I feel, maybe that's Panasonics tactic all along. Never admit to the fault publicly and wait for it to be quietly swept under the carpet, roll on the 2018 models and let's all look forward not back!

@Steve Withers can you find out if this is coming to the 902 LEDs from Panasonic?, i have sent them a separate email aswell

Agreed, only seems to be Soaps that are affected on our 902b but I can say it's nowhere near as bad as it was on our previous Samsung 7000!

Did they email you? What did they say, can you elaborate more? Was it a public statement?
Yes they emailed me and I actually say in the news story "in an official statement" before directly quoting them, did you read the news story or just look at the headline?

Yes they emailed me and I actually say in the news story "in an official statement" before directly quoting them, did you read the news story or just look at the headline?
Of course, I followed the link in the original post you made at the top of this thread. The official statement is familiarly vague, it makes no mention of stutter, it also makes no acknowledgment of fault as it hides behind it's well chosen words: "improve a variety of performance aspects, specifically related to motion" which are typically non specific and only mention improvements (positive spin), not fixes (negative spin). It's just what we've come to expect from a manufacturer that's just too stubborn or proud to admit there's a historical fault, or is it simply that they're too legally savvy to admit they've got a pile of TVs out there that they are unable to fix?

In addition I thought an official statement should really be direct from Panasonic themselves perhaps via their website, regardless of it's vague nature. Instead as far as I can see they've gone through a third party via an email sent to someone to then relay onto a message forum. Steve, I don't doubt your pedigree, we all know you know your stuff, my beef is with Panasonic. If you're the only one that's seen this 'official statement' then I'd argue it's not really official, unless I'm missing something regarding it's wider publication by Panasonic.

Of course none of this would matter one bit to me if this update had made any difference, but it hasn't.

I see your point, although I do consider it to be an official statement from Panasonic, they just decided to tell AVForums first because our readership is more discerning. In light of that, I'll be happy to feed your findings back to Panasonic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom