NEWS: Panasonic launches JZ1500, JZ1000 and JZ980 OLEDs for 2021

Panasonic moving at their normal snails pace, but at least the pro panel has started to trickle down. Perhaps they got the memo that a lot of AV enthusiasts already have a decent sound system.

I can see demand for the JZ2000 being knocked as a result, but they will pick up plenty of JZ1500 sales instead.

The JZ1500 will be cheaper than the Sony, which would be priced similar to the JZ2000.

That's assuming Panasonic drop their prices compared to last year, then.

The 55" HZ2000 launched at £3300 I believe. The 55" A90J is £2700.

I think this is great news for those with speaker setups who want to save a few £, and still a half decent speaker if you want quieter viewing.
Why is everyone being so negative about their VRR honestly, Sony are doing the same.
Can only assume 77" is coming next year, they maybe thought 83" just isn't going to sell at the moment (I'm assuming LGE got first go at the 77" evo type panel, everyone else will get it next year (well, bar Sony who have the 83").

I think this is great news for those with speaker setups who want to save a few £, and still a half decent speaker if you want quieter viewing.
Why is everyone being so negative about their VRR honestly, Sony are doing the same.
Can only assume 77" is coming next year, they maybe thought 83" just isn't going to sell at the moment (I'm assuming LGE got first go at the 77" evo type panel, everyone else will get it next year (well, bar Sony who have the 83").
It's only the gamers that will be having a moan, no one else gives a stuff. At least they have been upfront about it, if you don't want to wait for a firmware update, don't buy one.

I can understand the slight concern on promised firmware, but that seems to be the way of AV these days

Will keep an eye on the prices here for sure....not considered the Panny but the JZ1500 looks interesting....now to see which works best for me @55" the C1/AJ90 or JZ1500

Shame no OLED Monitor from panasonic Grrrrrrr

If the 48" panels are all the standard ones what are going to be the differences between the 980/1000/1500?
The 1000/980 will have lesser audio chops than the 1500. Difference between 980/1000, who knows probably not much.

I'm looking to move from my VT60 this year to either the JZ1500 or the Sony A90J, just a shame Panasonic are sticking with their OS, hello... Disney+ anyone!

I'm swayed towards the Sony, after always owning Panasonic TV's this may be the first time I move away ! If Panasonic had a good track record of updating previous generation TV OS's that would help my decision, but that is woeful, this year they stated v6.0 will not be rolled out to 2020 TV or earlier.

So being the extra lumens is the selling feature of these pro versions, how do they compare to these new LG GX Evo TVs? Is there actually any difference in the panels, or has Panasonic/LG simply added extra cooling and overclocked them, CPU style? :)

Also agree with the OS comments, the OS is the biggest letdown of my Panasonic g950. Because I favour Plex I have to use a shield just to get decent app support.

I love Panasonic (still own a ZT60 Plasma) but don't understand why you'd have a tech demo for features that are coming in a later firmware update.

I lol at the fact everyone kept repeating "Panasonic doesn't cater to games" for years and now they spend the entire demo on gaming(not to mention they went with 48" before going 77")

Thing is should we have to, especially with the prices we pay nowadays
We shouldn’t but they could simply say it doesn’t support VRR and then we would complain, so the fact it will get the update is great. Hdmi2.1/VRR, even LG’s are only rolling out there patches for last years CX, looks like VRR is casing issues with most manufacturers.

Where is the heat sink on the JZ1500?

nRkhUNG.jpg

Why have they persisted with these horrible circular stands used in last years models? They make the TV look cheap and nasty. Strangely they've put a premium looking rectangle base on the 48inch JZ1500 but us 55 and 65 potential buyers have to make do with the circular one?!? Typical Panasonic, there's always something missing or not quite right.

Why have they persisted with these horrible circular stands used in last years models? They make the TV look cheap and nasty. Strangely they've put a premium looking rectangle base on the 48inch JZ1500 but us 55 and 65 potential buyers have to make do with the circular one?!? Typical Panasonic, there's always something missing or not quite right.
Yeah it really puts me off their sets, shame :\

Things could be so different...
panny.jpg

:D

I love Panasonic (still own a ZT60 Plasma) but don't understand why you'd have a tech demo for features that are coming in a later firmware update.
That's not quite what I understood from the demo.

As far as I could tell 4K-60Hz with VRR is currently working, 4K-120Hz without VRR is currently working (as demo'd) but only with half vertical resolution prior to the promised firmware update.

BUT 4K-120Hz with VRR is "subject to further announcements". i.e. Consumer Electronics speak for don't be surprised if this gets quietly dropped if it turns out to be too difficult or not fixable without a hardware change.

Could be wrong.

That's how I understood it. Panasonic could have emphasised the 4k60 VRR as consoles would benefit most from it, 120VRR will mostly affect PC gamers

Vincent seems to be suggesting it's the same Mediatek SoC that's been causing "trouble 't Mill" with the Sonys as far as 4K120 goes.
I'm hoping Panasonic won't also make you choose between 4K120 or Dolby Vision (but not both at the same time) as documented on the A90J owner's thread at another place.

As a gamer, but not the total hardcore type, I'd probably be happy to slum it at 4K60 if it came to that. Particularly as the next-gen consoles seem to be dialing down the graphics on current games to hit 120fps.

Great news that the custom panel is now being made available without the unnecessary sound bar.

If my dx902 goes bang this'll be what replaces it.

I actually really like the Panasonic OS. It's very simple, snappy and everything just "works".

If you need every streaming app there are plenty of relatively cheap boxes available.

There must be huge numbers of people like me who have an Apple TV 4k or equivalent, for example, in order to use apps like Disney+ on a previous-generation set.

I'm not convinced relying on the TV itself to provide every single streaming service for the lifetime of the set is a viable solution, so I'd personally rather prioritise other features when looking for a new TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom