NEWS: Panasonic launches JZ1500, JZ1000 and JZ980 OLEDs for 2021

Earthscope

I’m in no hurry for my new OLED this year so if August is the actual release date for the 65JZ1500 then I can wait. Plus we will have the Sony A90J reviews in from the guys here, plus Vinny by then. All helps to make my final decision. But I have a feeling that it’s going to be back to Panasonic at last. :D
Not buying another LG OLED that’s for sure.

fastmotion

Novice Member
Going to be a very subjective answer at the moment until we see some real side by side comparisons, especially between the 1500 and the A90J, which spec wise are the closest match between the three (due to being the only two with heatsinks) – Panasonic have tended to drive their panels to higher brightness than Sony who have been more conservative but remains to be seen if Panny push the new panels harder than Sony this year. It’s probably a reasonable bet though as the GZ/HZ2000 is still slightly brighter than the reports of the A90J from the USA.

Generally most consider the Panasonics to be more accurate colour wise out of the box and more focused on the Movie experience. Again though it looks like the A90J is going to give Panny a run for their money this year in terms of accuracy and PQ. G1 initial reviews seem good but does not get as bright as the Sony for average picture level or specular highlights (due to not having a heatsink), so reasonable to assume it will also be a little behind the 1500 for the same reason.

Motion wise Sony tends to get a lot of respect but the current crop of Panasonics (980 excepted) are not far behind, its likely to be splitting hairs. Panny has suffered with a issue with very occasional stutter in certain difficult scenes’ over the last two generations (sort of blink and miss it but depends on individual sensitivity to motion) so many had hopped the new processor this year would finally see this issue fully resolved.

Some reports from well respected calibrators on AVS forums put the professional edition of the the GZ1000 (Aims at studio clients monitors, with apps stripped out) as neck and neck with the A90J. So we could expect the new models with this years panels and heatsink to maybe pull ahead of the A90J. Again this is extrapolation though.

I have a Sony A1E 2017 model which is way too dark compared to other oleds so even though it's kinda pricy, an upgrade would be welcome. I know the A90J is around 900 nits in movie mode and also it's about how HDR material is mastered, new panels are still long way in rendering the HDR to its full potential.

Jawy

Novice Member
Phil mentioned in the last podcast that the JZ2000/1500 (&A90J) wont have the new evo panel.
Is that the case?
And if so, where does the alleged 20% energy saving comes from?

Earthscope

Why is this, have you had issues with a previous model?
The way they handle just above black and their processing is not up to the same standards as that of Panasonic and also Sony I have found.
I have missed the superior way the Panasonic OLED’s come out of black and handle shadow detail compared to LG’s... Much more natural and cinematic picture.
I would have had a Panasonic OLED sooner but I had no need for the inbuilt Atmos system on the GZ/HZ2000. But now with the incoming JZ1500 having the custom pro panel without the bulky speaker system it is time to say goodbye to my C9...:love:;)

tracer10

Novice Member
Hi lads, sorry for my bad englisho_O
Is it true that on board JZ2000 and JZ1500 Calman software for self calibrate? For using Calman need buy licence 150-200€?
Thanks

Evil Engineer

Phil mentioned in the last podcast that the JZ2000/1500 (&A90J) wont have the new evo panel.
Is that the case?
There's been lots of debate about this on a certain other forum with regards to the A90J.
Not sure if anyone really knows for sure or has proved it definitively one way or the other.
Sony aren't talking about the components they've used and "OLED Evo" is a marketing term used by LG Electronics to describe the new panel supplied to them by LG Display.
The phases "Triluminos" and "Master HDR OLED Professional Edition" used by Sony and Panasonic have also been dreamt up by their marketing departments and don't necessarily tell you anything definitive.

You'll have to trust your eyes, no the marketing or a spec sheet. :)

Evil Engineer

Hi lads, sorry for my bad englisho_O
Is it true that on board JZ2000 and JZ1500 Calman software for self calibrate? For using Calman need buy licence 150-200€?
Thanks
It has a built in pattern generator but you'll still need a laptop, Calman license and a suitable colorimeter to do a calibration.

clnthl

Is that the case?
Nothing is proven yet but several reviewers who have got their hands on the Sony’s have said that they have the new panel. No One has got their hands on the Panasonic yet but it’s likely from their own marketing that at least some of the range will have the new panel. But... they might not be able to cal it Evo due to it being an LG term. facepalm

CaptainJames

but it’s likely from their own marketing that at least some of the range will have the new panel.
Unlikely that the JZ1000 will though......;)

CaptainJames

Still not 100% confirmed what will and what won’t, I still think their marketing was hinting it might but have said a few times that the only way we will really know is when reviewers get their hands on them.
Indeed. But I know what my money is on.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
This will be the first time I've ever purchased a brand new model, as we normally purcahse a unit which has been out for 1-2 years, this year is different..we are purchasing right of the bat!

Do newly released TV's normally come down in price pretty quickly after launch, or do they hold their value for a bit, then gradually lower over time?

fastmotion

Novice Member
This will be the first time I've ever purchased a brand new model, as we normally purcahse a unit which has been out for 1-2 years, this year is different..we are purchasing right of the bat!

Do newly released TV's normally come down in price pretty quickly after launch, or do they hold their value for a bit, then gradually lower over time?
If you're looking to make a bargain then you should definetly wait for black friday, otherwise you won't get much of a coup for a master series tv at least.

Skodked

Standard Member
Just talked with my local Panasonic Center (here in Denmark) and the last info he got was delivery in June (but with possibilities for delays).

clnthl

Not sure if this price is just a placeholder or not. Seems kinda high!

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member

it states ‘PLEASE CALL FOR PRICE AVAILABILITY’

Give them a call and find out? ;)

CaptainJames

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom