NEWS: Panasonic launches JZ1500, JZ1000 and JZ980 OLEDs for 2021

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Great news that the custom panel is now being made available without the unnecessary sound bar.

If my dx902 goes bang this'll be what replaces it.

I actually really like the Panasonic OS. It's very simple, snappy and everything just "works".

If you need every streaming app there are plenty of relatively cheap boxes available.

There must be huge numbers of people like me who have an Apple TV 4k or equivalent, for example, in order to use apps like Disney+ on a previous-generation set.

I'm not convinced relying on the TV itself to provide every single streaming service for the lifetime of the set is a viable solution, so I'd personally rather prioritise other features when looking for a new TV.
Yeah, I am really excited about the new Panny’s. I do like the no frills OS too, the Home Screen is fast and I like the picture button that quickly switches between my favourite picture modes without having to dive into the settings every time.

The app support is a bit pants - and the remote control, while it still looks a bit sh*t, any update is an improvement over that 90’s monstrosity. Like yourself I don’t particularly care about these shortcomings as I have Apple TV 4K and use the Harmony Elite remote. For my use it’s basically a glorified large monitor for gaming, film and TV viewing, I only really care about the out of the box picture quality.

I’m still very much delighted with my Panasonic FZ802, but it’s great to finally see the heatsink on a model without the added expense of inbuilt Atmos speakers, as well as HDMI 2.1 support fully making the cut.

Simba

Distinguished Member

I love Panasonic (still own a ZT60 Plasma) but don't understand why you'd have a tech demo for features that are coming in a later firmware update.
Agree... Buying something on the promise of a future update that might not materialise or be implemented properly is a total joke...

CaptainJames

Agree... Buying something on the promise of a future update that might not materialise or be implemented properly is a total joke...
So don't buy it. Wait until the firmware update does materialise. Or not.

CaptainJames

I lol at the fact everyone kept repeating "Panasonic doesn't cater to games" for years and now they spend the entire demo on gaming(not to mention they went with 48" before going 77")
Why so? Panny's previous marketing strategy was solely directed at movie buffs and AV enthusiasts, hence the comments re gaming.
They have now clearly decided to alter their marketing strategy and pitch for the gaming market as well to compete with LG and Sony. Panny are nothing if not conservative, so their late conversion to the potential of the gaming market is hardly a surprise.

Roedgroed78

Standard Member
Hello, the French website avcesar.com has published an update with the announced prices and availability dates of the OLEDs:

for the JZ980

for the JZ1000

for the JZ1500

& for the JZ2000

So 3,199€ for the 65JZ1500, this is 400€ cheaper than the announced price of the 65A90J. But I notice that the 65G1, which had been announced at 3,499€, is already available in Belgium for 2,799€ in big stores, and even less online... Let's wait & see the actual prices when they are officially released, and also how those 3 compare with each other, especially in terms of brightness.

CaptainJames

Hello, the French website avcesar.com has published an update with the announced prices and availability dates of the OLEDs:

for the JZ980

for the JZ1000

for the JZ1500

& for the JZ2000

So 3,199€ for the 65JZ1500, this is 400€ cheaper than the announced price of the 65A90J. But I notice that the 65G1, which had been announced at 3,499€, is already available in Belgium for 2,799€ in big stores, and even less online... Let's wait & see the actual prices when they are officially released, and also how those 3 compare with each other, especially in terms of brightness.
Useful pricing indication, and about what you would expect from launch prices. Most interesting is a bag of sand less for the 1500 against the 2000 - makes the pro panel much more affordable.

Solidmedia

Another kick in the teeth, the lower end LCD will be running Android TV and will get Disney+ whilst the high end OLED are still running MyHome without Disney. I'm all for brand loyalty but Panasonic really do make it hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainJames

Another kick in the teeth, the lower end LCD will be running Android TV and will get Disney+ whilst the high end OLED are still running MyHome without Disney. I'm all for brand loyalty but Panasonic really do make it hard.
I assume though that the lower end LCDs are made by Vestel? Panasonic badge engineering does them no favours.

Last edited by a moderator:

capt_janeway

Ooo the 55" JZ1500 looks very competitively priced against the A90J

clnthl

Ooo the 55" JZ1500 looks very competitively priced against the A90J
Yeah potentially about £500 cheaper than the 55A90J. If you factor in circa £150-£200 for Apple TV 4K or nvidia shield pro this still makes it about £300 cheaper. So then it comes down to if it’s worth paying the extra for the Sony to get the convenience of everything built in, not needing to need an hdmi port used for a streaming device and a backlit remote... tough decision for me!

capt_janeway

Yeah potentially about £500 cheaper than the 55A90J. If you factor in circa £150-£200 for Apple TV 4K or nvidia shield pro this still makes it about £300 cheaper. So then it comes down to if it’s worth paying the extra for the Sony to get the convenience of everything built in, not needing to need an hdmi port used for a streaming device and a backlit remote... tough decision for me!
Already got a Nvidia Shield and NAS, plus BT HD so all set I think.....just the sound thing to think about having just got rid of my wired system

dion 6

A 4k firestick at £39.99 at the moment on amazon is all you need for app support that's what l use for my 65in GZ950

steviedr

Distinguished Member
A 4k firestick at £39.99 at the moment on amazon is all you need for app support that's what l use for my 65in GZ950
You beat me to it.

clnthl

Yeah I think it all depends on what someone is wanting. For example if you want airplay 2 for screen sharing then you’ll need an Apple TV (I think?).

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Hope they fixe the annoying micro stutter and motion processing issues (head turn stutter).

LCDs with Android OS but OLEDs are stuck with the outdated My Home screen. :confused:

CaptainJames

Gazgum

I can’t decide what’s going on with the speaker bar on the 1500. Does it vary in height depending on screen size?
Taken from the head of Panasonic’s JZ1500 web page:
CACA0EE7-ABBE-40F4-93F4-1BE50E62381D.jpeg

Whereas I thought they all looked like this (clearly a smaller size 48”?) :
CB154D48-076E-4C71-835A-36B7FA321BE4.jpeg

clnthl

I can’t decide what’s going on with the speaker bar on the 1500. Does it vary in height depending on screen size?
View attachment 1482854

View attachment 1482855
No speaker bar on the 1500 only on the 2000. In previous years the 1500 has had a speaker bar but no custom Panasonic panel or up firing speakers. This year no speaker bar or up firing speakers but there is a custom panel.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
So the JZ1500 has the custom panel but not the soundbar .. as a GZ2000 owner the best of that particular tv is HDR content and the onboard sound once you add a subwoofer.. i may well be looking to sell and buy a 2021 Oled and it will not be a Panasonic .

clnthl

So the JZ1500 has the custom panel but not the soundbar .. as a GZ2000 owner the best of that particular tv is HDR content and the onboard sound once you add a subwoofer.. i may well be looking to sell and buy a 2021 Oled and it will not be a Panasonic .
The JZ2000 has the soundbar and the custom panel if you were wanting both? I imagine it will be more expensive than the A90j though.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
View attachment 1482854

View attachment 1482855
Yep if you are not wall mounting and using the stand .. if like me you use virtually all inputs and they are side-mounted it's going to look a mess .. so yes that 48 inch setup would leave a neater job.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
The JZ2000 has the soundbar and the custom panel if you were wanting both? I imagine it will be more expensive than the A90j though.
Yes i think the JZ2000 will start at a higher price point than the A90J 65 inch.. hence why I would most likely go Sony if the reported extra brightness reported across the pond is true .. as I can vouch for the GZ2000 being very bright in specular highlights especially but also generally.

Gazgum

No speaker bar on the 1500 only on the 2000. In previous years the 1500 has had a speaker bar but no custom Panasonic panel or up firing speakers. This year no speaker bar or up firing speakers but there is a custom panel.

BF18B786-4851-4D9D-869F-AF7ABE300718.jpeg

What’s this then?

Ahh, the 48” doesn’t have the pro panel! :rolleyes:

CaptainJames

clnthl

View attachment 1482860

What’s this then?

Ahh, the 48” doesn’t have the pro panel! :rolleyes:
Don’t know where that picture is from but it could be the 55” 2000. The official pictures of the 48” 1500 from the Panasonic website show No soundbar and in Vincent’s video when he asked them about the different between the 1000 and 1500 they didn’t mention one have the sound bar. I guess maybe it could be a different depending on location such as the Japanese version but I’m not sure!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021