NEWS: Panasonic introduces JZ2000 Flagship OLED TV with HCX Pro AI for 2021

I imagine 77" would be too prohibitively expensive - I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and decided the market is too small to warrant the investment necessary.
I would reckon that if Panny ditched the fancy sound system, they might be able to offer a 77" OLED with all the PQ bells and whistles without it hitting a prohibitively expensive price point. Come on Panasonic, there's a massive outcry for such a model.

I’m not sure I understand why so many people dislike the Panasonic TV OS. It has Freeview Play which I really appreciate and all the major UK catch-up services are very well integrated. The Freeview guide is good. There’s no Satellite Guide, but all the channels are listed and I find the inbuilt Freesat decoder to be a welcome bonus, now I’ve departed from Sky. The YouTube App delivers HDR and 60 FPS.

My girlfriend purchased a Samsung TV when I purchased my first GZ950B in 2019, and I massively prefer it to the Samsung OS which is much more in your face than Panasonic’s. The Panasonic OS keeps out of the way.

Disney+ would be a nice addition, but other than that, I’d rather they leave it alone.

One of the reasons I bought a couple of additional Panasonic LCD TVs (rather than another brand) was because they had the same OS as our Panasonic OLEDs.

Maybe my use case is different? I have no interest in streaming anything from a ‘phone or iPad to the TV.

Regards,
James.
I AGREE, I actually love the Panasonic OS on my Hz2000 I find it fast and slick and if I want to subscribe to yet more TV streaming services I can do so simply by using a USB stick or my Roku.
In fact I much prefer it to my brothers Android OS on his Sony and my son's Chromecast . My Roku box has become almost redundant since I got the HZ2000, the pic quality on Prime and Youtube 4K HDR is outstanding from the TV, and now I have got to grips with recording feature built in to the TV my Humax Freesat recorder is being used less and less, you can even record two programs at the same time on the TV to Hard drive, its all I need.

I have no issues with the Panasonic OS either. I brought the HZ2000 purely for one thing, PQ, and it delivers magnificently.
Sky Q gives me everything else I need in the form of apps etc.

Last edited:

Last edited:
??

Panasonic's JZ2000 is the company's 2021 OLED TV series, available in 55-inch and 65-inch sizes. The TVs use Panasonic's new AI processor, the HCX Pro AI which helps to deliver the 'optimum experience by real time content identification and audio and visual calibration'. For gamers, Panasonic's new OLED TV offers HDMI 2.1 support, VRR and HFR.
Are you merely repeating what AV Forums announced. Strange post, if I may say so.

Last edited:
Agree I feel the likes of Apple TV, Disney+, and BT TV would be nice adds to Panasonic BUT I feel people are overlooking the simple ease of use factor. Android TV has come a long way with its 'software development' but if you were listing the major 4 manufacturer from most intuitive to least it would still (5 years down the line) come last.

just plugging in a £40 Amazon fire TV stick covers you for all of the missing apps you still retain your Dynamic HDR Support (including HDR10+ on Amazon) and it works with the TVs remote.

This is why I find it weird when people base their multi thousand pounds TV purchase on 1 or 2 apps that will lose support 5 years down the line

I like the Panasonic os, it's clean and simple to use. However my issue is with Panasonic's ongoing app development, it's appalling. Last year not one app was added, in 2019 Britbox was added, now I think that's it for the last 2 years, one app added. In this time frame 3 new TV streaming services by big players have come to market and have not been added

Over the next few years new TV streaming services will be added, it's where TV viewing is going. Now based on Panasonic's track record I have little faith they will be developed and added by Panasonic to it's OS. Panasonic is not a software company after all, it's a hardware company.

As Google TV is used by many companies and Google is a software company, I have no doubt it will have new streaming apps added as and when they are released.

I like the Panasonic os, it's clean and simple to use. However my issue is with Panasonic's ongoing app development, it's appalling. Last year not one app was added, in 2019 Britbox was added, now I think that's it for the last 2 years, one app added. In this time frame 3 new TV streaming services by big players have come to market and have not been added

Over the next few years new TV streaming services will be added, it's where TV viewing is going. Now based on Panasonic's track record I have little faith they will be developed and added by Panasonic to it's OS. Panasonic is not a software company after all, it's a hardware company.

As Google TV is used by many companies and Google is a software company, I have no doubt it will have new streaming apps added as and when they are released.

'As and when they are released' Android added Now TV like 2 months ago, Apple TV about the same, UKTV Player, CBS and Horror channel catch up last summer summer BT TV got added in the summer aswell. These apps have been available for years and even Google have only just added them.

You can only really say Samsung are good at getting Apps fast.

I just don't think Panasonic are looking to add the 1000+ apps you get developed on Android/Google TV if it sacrifices the ease of use. Not to mention you have to hand over complete control to Google. I can just picture Sony sitting in a room royally passed off because they have built Amazing TVs yet are getting slated in reviews and having TV after TV returned because of how bad Android TV has been in the past :rotfl: . (Sony of course had very little control over updates)

If Google TV gets better reviews than android TV did I don't see why Panasonic wouldn't adopt it but I think Panasonic would want to see it be recieved & reviewed positively first.

I'm sure Panasonic are looking to add Disney+, Apple TV etc (the major ones). And hopefully they do.

I think Phil was hinting that LG like Sony will have a OLED model in 2021 that uses the special heat sink for the first time.

It´s more than that. LGD has an newly higher luminance OLED panel by applying high-efficiency organic materials and adding a light-emitting layer. A passive heatsink is not working for them. They have to make the panel itself brighter without a passive heatsink, so they can sell it for different applications and not harming their efficiency of their production process.

LGD also will produce 42" OLED panels this year ...

I AGREE, I actually love the Panasonic OS on my Hz2000 I find it fast and slick and if I want to subscribe to yet more TV streaming services I can do so simply by using a USB stick or my Roku.
In fact I much prefer it to my brothers Android OS on his Sony and my son's Chromecast . My Roku box has become almost redundant since I got the HZ2000, the pic quality on Prime and Youtube 4K HDR is outstanding from the TV, and now I have got to grips with recording feature built in to the TV my Humax Freesat recorder is being used less and less, you can even record two programs at the same time on the TV to Hard drive, its all I need.
Those who have the updated versions of My Home Screen will probably agree with you, but TVs with the non upgradable Firefox OS in its early versions didn't offer much at all, it was the same with Panasonic's controls and settings interface which although okay to use looked 90's retro in style back when composite connections were still commonplace.
I believe commercially it revealed something about Panasonic's marketing strategy as a company, it was stuck 10 years behind the times.
Considering Panasonic's competition is spending big money on new tech every year to get the CES headlines Panasonic have been too set in their ways, now suddenly when they have finally recognized, perhaps too late, that their global market is steadily depreciating, Android, and possibly later, Android TV is becoming a feature in some Panasonic TV's.
Consumers who have a lot of choices nowadays just want some product consistency.

Plex have abandoned their Panasonic OS app so that’s massive for me. I’m not fussed about Disney+ but Airplay 2 for screen sharing is a feature I use from my iPad/MacBook on occasions.

'As and when they are released' Android added Now TV like 2 months ago, Apple TV about the same, UKTV Player, CBS and Horror channel catch up last summer summer BT TV got added in the summer aswell. These apps have been available for years and even Google have only just added them.

You can only really say Samsung are good at getting Apps fast.

I just don't think Panasonic are looking to add the 1000+ apps you get developed on Android/Google TV if it sacrifices the ease of use. Not to mention you have to hand over complete control to Google. I can just picture Sony sitting in a room royally passed off because they have built Amazing TVs yet are getting slated in reviews and having TV after TV returned because of how bad Android TV has been in the past :rotfl: . (Sony of course had very little control over updates)

If Google TV gets better reviews than android TV did I don't see why Panasonic wouldn't adopt it but I think Panasonic would want to see it be recieved & reviewed positively first.

I'm sure Panasonic are looking to add Disney+, Apple TV etc (the major ones). And hopefully they do.

It's not about getting 1000's of apps, it's about getting the major streaming apps. I had an email from Panasonic Customer services way back in September 2019 saying they are looking into adding apple tv + and Disney + when it's available. We are now in Jan 2021 and these apps have not been added yet!

The fact of the matter is Panasonic is a shadow of their former selves and do not have the resources for software development of their in-house OS!

Yes, Android TV was initially flakey but I can assure its a come a long way now, I've used it on Nvidea Shield for over 2 years (no lag, super fast) before switching to Apple TV 4K. Now as Google TV its even better.

I for one is ok with less apps and a flakey OS since running external like ATV4K and blu-ray player is my preferred option. I hope panasonic will have some other unknown edge now if sony and LG use the higher brightness/metalplate.

That "best in class" inputlag is very bold since we don't have any measurements on 2021 LG and 2020 was 6-13ms :) Nice since pana always been behind on gaming features.

That said with my hz2000 I will wait for 2022/2023 until next upgrade.

Does anyone know if you can you remove the "sound bar" ? totally pointless for me and means it wouldn't actually fit on/in my wall.

Does anyone know if you can you remove the "sound bar" ? totally pointless for me and means it wouldn't actually fit on/in my wall.

It's not a sound bar - it's an internal part of the TV, and not removeable. For the last two years, the top-end OLED TV with the special higher-peak brightness custom panel has only been available on the model with the uprated onboard sound system. Panasonic don't seem to think there's enough demand to release the custom panel on TV's with basic sound. Which does seem strange as enthusiasts have dedicated surround-sound systems.

Regards,
James.

It's not a sound bar - it's an internal part of the TV, and not removeable. For the last two years, the top-end OLED TV with the special higher-peak brightness custom panel has only been available on the model with the uprated onboard sound system. Panasonic don't seem to think there's enough demand to release the custom panel on TV's with basic sound. Which does seem strange as enthusiasts have dedicated surround-sound systems.

Regards,
James.

Cheers for the reply 👍🏻 Look like i won’t be buying one of these then, I’ve not used tv speakers for about 6 years now 😂

It’s a bit odd that a seemingly enthusiast aimed tv would have such a glaring oversight, I’d have made it detachable to extend its user base.

I don't like the speaker section at the bottom of the TV, it just makes it (in my eyes) a bit ugly.

I want a screen which has less border, all the way around, for a reason, and slapping that big section at the bottom just make the bottom border look massive !!

Urghhh why did Panasonic go and take this road... I have a dedicated Sony Surround Sound System, I don't want this!

Last edited:
I don't like the speaker section at the bottom of the TV, it just makes it in my eyes a bit ugly.

I want a screen which has less border, all the way around, for a reason, and slapping that big section at the bottom just make the bottom border look massive !!

Urghhh why did Panasonic go and take this road... I have a dedicated Sony Surround Sound System, I don't want this!

Totally agree, it looks so much better with just a narrow bezel all round. Plus it would be a lot cheaper without all those speakers! Still, the HZ1000 is nearly as good and looks much better.

Unless there's something really special I could see me looking at last year's model and saving the difference.

I'm actually looking at other MFTR's now, I'm biting at the bit for 2.1 VRR for my Xbox Series X, but this new model does absolutely nothing for me (and I know the wife will think its fugly) with that bloody speaker at the bottom!

It would be interesting to know if Panasonic and Sony are using the 2nd gen Evo panels or are they using existing panels and applying heatsink to increase brightness.

It would be interesting to know if Panasonic and Sony are using the 2nd gen Evo panels or are they using existing panels and applying heatsink to increase brightness.

Or both.

I imagine Panasonic won't use the new panels until 2022 at the earliest. I imagine their R&D for their own tweaks on them may take some time, and I'd much rather they spent the time doing it properly. Who knows, maybe they'll FINALLY do a 77 but then again I'd need a house deposit to afford it.

RE: the integrated soundbar into the TV. I would much prefer it without it, however I think most of the target audience for a 5k TV would be pretty appreciative that they don't have to spend another 1.5-2k on a AV system. I spoke to someone once about the TV, and to be honest most people tend to fuss more about the TV itself than the audio. Let's be fair though, I did try the TV a couple times with the integrated sound and it was actually pretty good. Not 5.1 good, no, nor did I expect it to be, but for most people it would be "good enough" to justify spending loads on a TV with Atmos speakers built-in.

Hopefully they will do a sub 55” version...
I believe LG will be releasing 32" OLED gaming monitors along with other sizes in the future.
I'm not sure Panasonic will follow suit it shows no sign of wanting to invest in panel technology diversity.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom