NEWS: Panasonic introduces JZ2000 Flagship OLED TV with HCX Pro AI for 2021

If it does not have true HDMI 2.1 ports then expect the picture quality to be identical to last years flagship which soon you will be able to purchase at a much reduced price now the new models have been announced.

Echoing others comments here. Very disappointing. Looking to move my GZ950 to the bedroom and get an OLED with HDMI 2.1 for the lounge and currently thinking it'll have to be one of the new Sonys.

Don't like the Atmos system, don't like myhomescreen especially with no ATV or airplay...

If it does not have true HDMI 2.1 ports then expect the picture quality to be identical to last years flagship which soon you will be able to purchase at a much reduced price now the new models have been announced.

Panasonic have already accepted that PQ will be very similar to this year's panel, but the addition of HDMI 2.1 would/will make zero difference to PQ.

Agree, 2.1 won’t improve picture quality but will allow for improved gaming experience (smoother 120fps at the cost of a res drop).

It’s so incremental, I wonder if they will continue to have a premium price, despite not offering anything particularly new (other than HDMI 2.1) and doesn’t really differentiate from other brands, particularly if Sony has comparable brightness.

Massively disappointing, more of same. I’m sure the 65” will be great but where is the 77”?

Why do you think this is massively disappointing?

Panasonic make great OLEDs with great picture quality - more of the same same is most welcome!
And they are adding the HDMi 2.1 features that games want for 120 Hz etc.

I imagine 77" would be too prohibitively expensive - I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and decided the market is too small to warrant the investment necessary.

Personally, I'm not interested in any of the auto-adaptive TV modes - but I'm sure more mainstream consumers may appreciate it.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
so happy i bought the GZ950 in 2019 OLED reached it's peak for picture quality good that Panasonic admits that. I usually keep my TV 7+ years before i update so another year that i don't regret buying a few years ago :)

Keep in mind though, these engineers while maybe having reached their peak may find ways to climb higher, tweak , tweak, tweak. Remember 5 years ago, LCD was dead...and yet mini led is alive and well and still moving forward.

Why do you think this is massively disappointing?

Panasonic make create OLEDs with great picture quality - more of the same same is most welcome!
And they are adding the HDMi 2.1 features that games want for 120 Hz etc.

I imagine 77" would be too prohibitively expensive - I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and decided the market is too small to warrant the investment necessary.

Personally, I'm not interested in any of the auto-adaptive TV modes - but I'm sure more mainstream consumers may appreciate it.

Regards,
James.
It’s disappointing because as a technology provider, I am looking for manufacturers to push the boundaries, come up with new ideas, fix issues that were apparent in previous models etc. They need to do that to justify why a consumer would:

a. Pay a premium price higher than other brands
b. Why choose them in general v others or LCD etc

Their PQ is great, I’m a big Panasonic fan other than their QA which my experience was quite frankly awful. But one of their differentiators was brightness which looking at the flagship Sony, may be not a differentiator anymore.

Their OS is rubbish and while the purists may say this doesn’t matter, the purists make up a tiny % of the overall market. Panasonic mention in their marketing bilge that they want to widen their customer base - well aside from HDMI 2.1, Sony and LG offer a fantastic OS with full suite of internal apps and this was an opportunity for Panasonic to at least get on a level playing field. It does matter to many people who don’t want lots of external boxes, wires and remotes.

You mention 77” being too expensive, but Sony and LG are not only offering 77” but also 83” - again disappointing regardless of what their internal reasons are.

So those are the reasons I am disappointed.

Last edited:
EZ, FZ, GZ, HG, no IZ but fast tracked to JZ, why ?
Or did I sleep for a whole year :thumbsdow

Oh come in Panasonic, release the 77 inch one please. Some are now realising 83 inch ones. Catch up with the times

I feel Panasonic excel on picture quality ahead of the others, but their home screen /apps is outdated massive focus needed here, fingers crossed they may have done it.

HMDI 2.1 for gamers is a must and they have listened, but many people have money to spend on 77 & 83 screens, give it to them.

I have the FZ 802 and not a gamer, yet im not sure if Panasonic have given me a true reason for an upgrade to the JZ, the HZ might be the bargain for me.

Last edited:
Shame they cant seem to go bigger than a 65. Promised myself my next set would be bigger than my current which is 65. This would be the creme de la creme at 77

You haven't seen what LG may have in store yet... ;)
Absolutely... I have an FZ65 and looking to upgrade this year potentially. I have been faithfully Panasonic for years now for PQ but we want to go up in size to 75/77 and the living room is a bit lighter after a refurb so it may be LG or Sony this time round.

You're right.
Will see what LG comes up with but imo LG always has some picture glitches and relies on future firmware updates to address them like last year's DV floating blacks and their near black performance are not great, which is key when we're watching lot's of streaming content.

It's true mate but no TV is perfect flagship or not, although the pannys normally win best in class awards overall on their tvs

Basically if you are not a gamer there is nothing to wait for IMO. There will be no or almost no difference in PQ. If you need something really good now go for a HZ or if you don’t mind LG try to find C9 on market in 77”
Or wait for latest 2021 Sony or LG in hope that 83” will not be significantly more expensive than 77” 2020

so happy i bought the GZ950 in 2019 OLED reached it's peak for picture quality good that Panasonic admits that. I usually keep my TV 7+ years before i update so another year that i don't regret buying a few years ago :)
The GZ950 dosnt hit the peak. Only the HZ2000 does that.

You haven't seen what LG may have in store yet... ;)
Unless LG who manufacture all the panels have saved a completely new range of panels for themselves, surely it will be a similar situation whereby they can't get much more out of their range this year.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom