NEWS: Panasonic introduces JZ2000 Flagship OLED TV with HCX Pro AI for 2021

stuartam_81

Standard Member
Hopefully they will do a sub 55” version...

wesslan

You're right.
Will see what LG comes up with but imo LG always has some picture glitches and relies on future firmware updates to address them like last year's DV floating blacks and their near black performance are not great, which is key when we're watching lot's of streaming content.

Yeah and to get a firmware update in january to fix dolvy vision PQ is really bad. That's like wait 10 months for correct PQ...

I see a great summer battle, sony vs pana :)

Kingchin

Unless LG who manufacture all the panels have saved a completely new range of panels for themselves, surely it will be a similar situation whereby they can't get much more out of their range this year.
I think Phil was hinting that LG like Sony will have a OLED model in 2021 that uses the special heat sink for the first time.

If that's the case then actually LG's OLED with the heatsink will be better this year. As it will be brighter higher nits than last year's LG OLED model's.

Closing the gap picture wise significantly to the 2020 flagship Panasonic HZ2000 OLED that used the special heatsink last year.

Last edited:

gfreek

As much as I like Panasonic this is very disappointing news I expected at least 77" as the price on these panels have dropped in the last 12 months so no reason not to have this screen size in the range!

Other than full HDMI 2.1 support, features, and design-wise nothing much also shocked to see they are still sticking with FireFox OS!!! Looks like this year Sony is bringing more to the table with their OLED Range!

SteveW09

I was hoping the introduction of the Android based TV OS to some of their TVs last September was going to be start of a shift to the Android TV platform this year. The move away from Firefox OS may have explained why the Disney+ app has not yet appeared, as the OS is end of life in Panasonic's eyes, why spend time developing an app for it. However my hopes were dashed with the article mentioning the new v6.0 Firefox OS😞

Base13

I found the mention of reaching the peak for the current panels very interesting. It makes me think there are new panels coming soon, maybe QD-OLED from Samsung?

GT One

Those who like Panasonic TV's will be following the fortunes of this company during 2021, this year Panasonic has a lot of stiff competition to contend with, including from Sony with its new brighter OLED panels, new AI processor, Google TV OS, faster streaming and improved sound system.
Having hopefully finally woken up to its own marketing fails in recent years, Panasonic is at last attempting to catch up by including long awaited features that consumers potentially may be willing to pay their premium prices for, but how well these new 2021 Panasonic OLED's will be received by consumers who are also gamers will create much You Tube comment, I would think.
Panasonic is past history to me living in Australia, they have ceased selling TV's here though are still selling other products, I believe they were too quick bailing out of the Australian TV market but probably could not reconcile with Australia's tough retail attitude, Panasonic's high OLED prices obviously didn't compare very well with their competition who were selling products with more Smart TV features and better marketing, the type of product the fast turnover franchise retail stores prefer.
The specialized audio-visual retailer who previously sold Panasonic's quality products are finding it tough and buy in quantity whatever sells the best, which wasn't Panasonic's less than impressive IPS LCD TV's that they sold almost at cost and limited numbers of expensive OLED's.
In my opinion, Panasonic's dilemma for its future is that its not able to make TV's that are affordable for the global market, it needs the premium market to survive and Samsung and LG are aggressively moving into that market as well.

GT One

I was hoping the introduction of the Android based TV OS to some of their TVs last September was going to be start of a shift to the Android TV platform this year. The move away from Firefox OS may have explained why the Disney+ app has not yet appeared, as the OS is end of life in Panasonic's eyes, why spend time developing an app for it. However my hopes were dashed with the article mentioning the new v6.0 Firefox OS😞
Yes you make a valid point that I missed in my comment, Panasonic have doggedly stuck with their own proprietary tech / software including an outdated (obsolete) Firefox OS and user interface for years, Panasonic also struggled with providing Dolby Vision until reality dawned, now it's almost like Panasonic has begrudgingly conceded it's product feature list was hopelessly out of date but only selected overdue updates will happen just to look relevant in a crowded global television market.

SteveW09

Just take a look at the new Humax Aura, Google TV and Freeview play, looks modern from a software perspective. Using this setup in a TV surely is a no brainer to me, minimal need to develop software, you only need staff to integrate the platform to your hardware. Plus you get all the features of Google TV, which now looks like it has matured enough to be a serious contender.

Panasonic have always been good at hardware(although always slightly behind the curve with technology), rubbish at marketing and also rubbish with software.

To me it makes sense to play to your strengths, so trying to battle on with your proprietary software seems a mistake.

As I said, my hopes were dashed a bit with JZ2000 when the article mentioned My Home 6.0. I normally keep my TV's for 7+ years, my main TV is still a 50" VT50. I have a 55" FX750 in the kitchen, and the apps offered on there are sparse and the ones that are available seem to be mainly European or really old (created in 2012).

I was hoping for a OLED from Panasonic this year with Google TV and full HDMI 2.1 to replace my VT50, maybe next year then !

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
The OS is an interesting one, I think LG made a big impression with WebOs, but too have stuck with “if it ain’t broke” (there have been tweaks over the years but 2021 is the first year since starting it will look different).

I’ve never used My Home Screen, I believe it is quick but only ever see user complaints about it.

Sony’s sluggish Android was raised many times over the years, more memory and updated version finally helped users.

Samsung’s Tizen like LG’s seems to be decent from what I’ve read.

Pre smart platform, the menu system wasn’t too important, if you aren’t calibrating, as long as you can change the channel/volume/preset, job done but now we have so many apps that we use often it’s important. Many bought the ATV to get around limited tv (and app support) OS’s, you would think this would have been the wake up call.
Im assuming it’s a costly exercise to create/support this, maybe if new tech is coming QDOled or Dual LCD we may see a new OS launch then although in saying that, back to LG who have updated 2021’s WebOs so with resource and $$$ it’s possible.

MahaRaja

Lack of necessary app in the Pana models will be a huge factor for many, including me, as we don't want to add additional equipment via HDMI to access them, like Apple TV and Disney Plus or BT Sports app.

If the Sony A90J matches the Pana with near Black performance with its new processor, then it would be no brainer over this model.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Lack of necessary app in the Pana models will be a huge factor for many, including me, as we don't want to add additional equipment via HDMI to access them, like Apple TV and Disney Plus or BT Sports app.

If the Sony A90J matches the Pana with near Black performance with its new processor, then it would be no brainer over this model.
100% agree with this

clnthl

Yes it just seems a bit contradictory to put so much effort into building a sound system into the TV to cater to people not having to buy multiple products... but then including lacklustre software so people have to buy an external box :facepalm:

THX1138UK

I’m not sure I understand why so many people dislike the Panasonic TV OS. It has Freeview Play which I really appreciate and all the major UK catch-up services are very well integrated. The Freeview guide is good. There’s no Satellite Guide, but all the channels are listed and I find the inbuilt Freesat decoder to be a welcome bonus, now I’ve departed from Sky. The YouTube App delivers HDR and 60 FPS.

My girlfriend purchased a Samsung TV when I purchased my first GZ950B in 2019, and I massively prefer it to the Samsung OS which is much more in your face than Panasonic’s. The Panasonic OS keeps out of the way.

Disney+ would be a nice addition, but other than that, I’d rather they leave it alone.

One of the reasons I bought a couple of additional Panasonic LCD TVs (rather than another brand) was because they had the same OS as our Panasonic OLEDs.

Maybe my use case is different? I have no interest in streaming anything from a ‘phone or iPad to the TV.

Regards,
James.

gfreek

I’m not sure I understand why so many people dislike the Panasonic TV OS. It has Freeview Play which I really appreciate and all the major UK catch-up services are very well integrated. The Freeview guide is good. There’s no Satellite Guide, but all the channels are listed and I find the inbuilt Freesat decoder to be a welcome bonus, now I’ve departed from Sky. The YouTube App delivers HDR and 60 FPS.

My girlfriend purchased a Samsung TV when I purchased my first GZ950B in 2019, and I massively prefer it to the Samsung OS which is much more in your face than Panasonic’s. The Panasonic OS keeps out of the way.

Disney+ would be a nice addition, but other than that, I’d rather they leave it alone.

One of the reasons I bought a couple of additional Panasonic LCD TVs (rather than another brand) was because they had the same OS as our Panasonic OLEDs.

Maybe my use case is different? I have no interest in streaming anything from a ‘phone or iPad to the TV.

Regards,
James.
I don't hate the OS it actually works well very simple and fast to use. The issue is it's a platform not supported by many apps, in this day and age you need to have all the major popular apps having just the usual suspects Netflix, Amazon and YouTube will not cut it! You need apple TV +, Disney +, Discovery + and a lot more that are coming in the near future. That's why I have resorted to having an apple TV 4k connected to my GZ2000 so that I have all the apps that I need but ideally I rather have this app built-in to the TV to cut out the number boxes I have attached.

I really thought this year Panasonic would adopt Google TV (formally Android TV), which has much better app support and software development then Panasonic's in-house Firefox OS My Home.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Do we know the nits output on this, or is that information not available till March...it pretty much has everything I'd want...but as we know the panasonics are way more expensive than the other oleds especially on release.

AndretheTVguy

I don't hate the OS it actually works well very simple and fast to use. The issue is it's a platform not supported by many apps, in this day and age you need to have all the major popular apps having just the usual suspects Netflix, Amazon and YouTube will not cut it! You need apple TV +, Disney +, Discovery + and a lot more that are coming in the near future. That's why I have resorted to having an apple TV 4k connected to my GZ2000 so that I have all the apps that I need but ideally I rather have this app built-in to the TV to cut out the number boxes I have attached.

I really thought this year Panasonic would adopt Google TV (formally Android TV), which has much better app support and software development then Panasonic's in-house Firefox OS My Home.

Agree I feel the likes of Apple TV, Disney+, and BT TV would be nice adds to Panasonic BUT I feel people are overlooking the simple ease of use factor. Android TV has come a long way with its 'software development' but if you were listing the major 4 manufacturer from most intuitive to least it would still (5 years down the line) come last.

just plugging in a £40 Amazon fire TV stick covers you for all of the missing apps you still retain your Dynamic HDR Support (including HDR10+ on Amazon) and it works with the TVs remote.

This is why I find it weird when people base their multi thousand pounds TV purchase on 1 or 2 apps that will lose support 5 years down the line

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
See I see it the opposite way and I hope the refresh they are talking about for the O/S is a big improvement or they are doing themselves out of sales.

Older people or the tiny % of the population that call themselves ‘purists’, might just be looking at PQ or people without families, but new generations want ease of use, everything in one box. I find it a bit of a joke that in this day and age when you can buy a crappy LCD that has all the apps, Panasonic with their top of range model can’t.

We had a very simple choice just a month ago, try another Panny and have to add a Fire box onto it and be annoyed by how much it stuck out the wall, or get a Sony that was bigger, slimmer. only slightly poorer PQ on HDR but easily comparable if not better SDR performance and all the apps together, no need for lots of external wires - less faff!

People have wives and children and they can’t be bothered with the faff. It won’t be the only factor, but it is a factor and all of Panasonic’s competitors offer a better O/S and it’s just plain bizarre that they don’t sort that out.

gfreek

Do we know the nits output on this, or is that information not available till March...it pretty much has everything I'd want...but as we know the panasonics are way more expensive than the other oleds especially on release.
I reckon no more than 1000 nits peak just like the GZ2000 and HZ000 as this tech has reached its peak however there might be a slight picture improvement this year due to the new AI Processor.

There was a rumour that both Sony and Panasonic were going to have first dibs of the new QD-OLED developed and supplied by Samsung Display. Given the current situation maybe that plan is now put in the back burner??

GT One

Just take a look at the new Humax Aura, Google TV and Freeview play, looks modern from a software perspective. Using this setup in a TV surely is a no brainer to me, minimal need to develop software, you only need staff to integrate the platform to your hardware. Plus you get all the features of Google TV, which now looks like it has matured enough to be a serious contender.

Panasonic have always been good at hardware(although always slightly behind the curve with technology), rubbish at marketing and also rubbish with software.

To me it makes sense to play to your strengths, so trying to battle on with your proprietary software seems a mistake.

As I said, my hopes were dashed a bit with JZ2000 when the article mentioned My Home 6.0. I normally keep my TV's for 7+ years, my main TV is still a 50" VT50. I have a 55" FX750 in the kitchen, and the apps offered on there are sparse and the ones that are available seem to be mainly European or really old (created in 2012).

I was hoping for a OLED from Panasonic this year with Google TV and full HDMI 2.1 to replace my VT50, maybe next year then !
I'm testing the recently released Chromecast Google TV (with remote) and it does the job quite well with no connectivity problems so far , and it"s about half the price of an AppleTV too.
Apart from the usual lengthy sign-in imposts during set up, this device is easy to use, highly responsive, and you can add apps (if available) without fuss, it also has Dolby Vision.
Google TV would be an excellent interface for Panasonic OLED's as it will for other TV's this year.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett