NEWS: Panasonic introduces JZ2000 Flagship OLED TV with HCX Pro AI for 2021

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Last edited:

tickedon

“However, they were unable at the time of this briefing to confirm if the ports will be full 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports and how many there will be on the JZ2000. More information on that should be available in March”

Why is this so difficult for manufacturers? Do they wait to see what others do with their models? But surely this is all locked down and known long in advance given manufacturing timescales?

steve sph

Good review Phil, ( or as good a one as you could possibly do without an actual set in front of you!).
A welcome few improvements in the picture department, (especially for gamers), but I suspect a fair few on here will already have the surround sound side of things catered for already, and therefore feel reluctant to shell out for an all-singing all-dancing soundbar they don't need.
But then I guess the folks off here don't really constitute the mass market TV's are aimed at nowadays.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Thanks Phil, an interesting read, especially where Panasonic openly admit they've already just about reached the performance peak of these models. How refreshingly honest.

The review of the new AI picture control will be worth waiting for, specifically to understand how close it can get to a correctly calibrated image. Although they've kind of admitted there, reading between the lines, that a calibration is still the way to go for best picture.

It looks like the whiney gamers are finally catered for too. :rotfl:

Good stuff!

Paul

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
“However, they were unable at the time of this briefing to confirm if the ports will be full 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports and how many there will be on the JZ2000. More information on that should be available in March”

Why is this so difficult for manufacturers? Do they wait to see what others do with their models? But surely this is all locked down and known long in advance given manufacturing timescales?
This was just a briefing on the TV and what it will have onboard, as companies have to show something at CES. However, it was stressed that technical details will be made available in March.

deon444

Distinguished Member
Did Panasonic mention any sizes for the J2000,a new 77" or just the same sizes as last 2 years?

So no major pic improvements and just more of the same. Seems oleds have reached their peak :suicide:

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Did Panasonic mention any sizes for the J2000,a new 77" or just the same sizes as last 2 years?

So no major pic improvements and just more of the same. Seems oleds have reached their peak :suicide:
They have only confirmed 55- and 65-inch so far.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
It will be interesting to see how this compares to the other manufacturers (Sony so far) who are using the additional heatsink they pioneered. They say theirs will have the highest peak brightness in HDR, how do they know what Sonys will be?

Great to see the hdmi chipset being updated.

Is this a brand new processor or a tweaked version of last years (just wondering if they can finally nail the slight stutter that still happens infrequently (or so I have read as I don't own one).

They should have had this man announce it!

JayZ.JPG

SimonST

Distinguished Member
Very underwhelming, which is disappointing.
And now that ugly circular stand has made it's way to the 2000 model :facepalm:

Can't wait to see the new interface... Perhaps inspired by Yahoo Geocities this time :D

Gaming features are appreciated, and with the near-black performance, this should be my first choice as a movie lover, but I just can't get excited for this one :( Basically just the TV it should have been last year.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Surprising that Panasonic haven't shifted from Firefox to Google (Android) OS

CaptainJames

Yes. an interesting admission from Panasonic really. It means that they are increasingly dependent on processing gimmicks, and this AI business worries me, it sounds too clever by half. I only hope that it is defeatable.
Also a strange decision to stick to max 65 inches when Sony are going up to 83" now - I think this will cost Panasonic sales, they really need a 77" now as a minimum.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Massively disappointing, more of same. I’m sure the 65” will be great but where is the 77”?

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
thank you Phil im assuming this tv has the heat dissipation like last years model? this for me is exciting for the simply fact of hdmi 2.1 and dolby vision.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Also, if they don’t offer ATV app and don’t have afull suite of internal apps, they really are missing a trick. If it’s about offering consumer more choice, that’s got to be an important aspect.

MahaRaja

Disappointing from Panasonic, no new tech or new size announced.

They have the same design as last year and few customers of HZ2000 had banding and tinting issues, for a such a high end model. So for the first time Pana has a rival for the top dog for OLED from Sony.

Both will be mega expensive and will be interesting to compare their performance with their extra brightness and added sound quality features. I think Sony has an ace it its sleeve, with wider colour gamut with increased brightness, compared to Pana, which Vincent noticed when he reviewed HZ2000.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Disappointing from Panasonic, no new tech or new size announced.

They have the same design as last year and few customers of HZ2000 had banding and tinting issues, for a such a high end model. So for the first time Pana has a rival for the top dog for OLED from Sony.

Both will be mega expensive and will be interesting to compare their performance with their extra brightness and added sound quality features. I think Sony has an ace it its sleeve, with wider colour gamut with increased brightness, compared to Pana, which Vincent noticed when he reviewed HZ2000.
You haven't seen what LG may have in store yet... ;)

steviedr

Distinguished Member
All the AI concerns me too, not just from Panny.
Highlighting football players, highlighting what it thinks the focal point should be...never mind if it gets its wrong, what if I want to look at something in the background that it thinks isn’t necessary (appreciate I’ll never know unless i really know the content), you go from creators intent to manufacturers intent. Hopefully it’s all just marketing talk..

MahaRaja

You haven't seen what LG may have in store yet... ;)
You're right.
Will see what LG comes up with but imo LG always has some picture glitches and relies on future firmware updates to address them like last year's DV floating blacks and their near black performance are not great, which is key when we're watching lot's of streaming content.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
You're right.
Will see what LG comes up with but imo LG always has some picture glitches and relies on future firmware updates to address them like last year's DV floating blacks and their near black performance are not great, which is key when we're watching lot's of streaming content.
100% agree with that!

yvv

Hopefully the new processor gets the 24p motion right but I wouldn't count on it. Can't see any other potential benefits for movie watchers. All eyes will be on the Sony's new A90J. It might be a game changer, if it delivers the promised increase in colour volume and brightness in HDR, at a reasonable price.

CaptainJames

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

NAD Launches CI 16-60 DSP Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett