NEWS: Panasonic introduces flagship LZ2000 OLED with new 77-inch screen size

I guess the only issue is, they will show us the 2023 model at CES, but it may not launch until a similar time next year…but I know what you mean. For discount, may be better if waiting until after CES anyway, so you know what’s coming / get discounted price on what’s out …

I’d expect the reviews out soon, and expect it to be a close match with the Panny going brighter in HDR, better out of black and assuming decent onboard audio. Looks like LG have made decent improvements this year and if you don’t need 77”, the Sony will tick many boxes.
Samsung being the bargain…
Yes agreed, trying to decide what to get to replace my vt65 plasma screen.

Yes agreed, trying to decide what to get to replace my vt65 plasma screen.
I had that model too, cracking tv. You’re in for a treat moving to oled though !

Avforums aside, there are plenty of reviews around to date. Vincent has one on his channel, for example. There are some very detailed non-english reviews too.

My take-home from them was that the review samples are incredibly accurate OOTB (although I'm fairly cynical about Panasonic's review samples for a variety of reasons), hit 1000 nits peak brightness in filmmaker mode, have excellent tone mapping outside of Dolby vision and good shadow detail. Unfortunately the problems with the mediatek chipset remain in terms of gradation and now tone mapping in Dolby vision is wonky too.

The OOTB colour accuracy meant it won the best home cinema TV over the A95k in Vincent's shootout fairly recently. Without that it would have been second from memory.

I had that model too, cracking tv. You’re in for a treat moving to oled though !
Yes a great TV, well still a great TV, although now starting to show its age after 9 years :) Is OLED that much better? I do find the plasma dark and also it shows lots of posterization in the gradients, but read that the LZ2000 still has posterization, also people are reporting flickering using the streaming apps, which would be using a lot. So in two minds right now, which is why it would be good to read a review from Phil.

Avforums aside, there are plenty of reviews around to date. Vincent has one on his channel, for example. There are some very detailed non-english reviews too.

My take-home from them was that the review samples are incredibly accurate OOTB (although I'm fairly cynical about Panasonic's review samples for a variety of reasons), hit 1000 nits peak brightness in filmmaker mode, have excellent tone mapping outside of Dolby vision and good shadow detail. Unfortunately the problems with the mediatek chipset remain in terms of gradation and now tone mapping in Dolby vision is wonky too.

The OOTB colour accuracy meant it won the best home cinema TV over the A95k in Vincent's shootout fairly recently. Without that it would have been second from memory.
Yep I've watched Vincent's reviews and his comparison video. The reported flickering in the apps and the posterization you mentioned worry me a bit and at over £2k on TV, I want what I call the basics to be right. Be good to see if Phil finds these issues and what his thoughts are as a trusted second opinion.

Yes a great TV, well still a great TV, although now starting to show its age after 9 years :) Is OLED that much better? I do find the plasma dark and also it shows lots of posterization in the gradients, but read that the LZ2000 still has posterization, also people are reporting flickering using the streaming apps, which would be using a lot. So in two minds right now, which is why it would be good to read a review from Phil.
It is ....and it isnt
For my needs, UHD content, 4k/HDR streaming, 4K/HDR/120Hz gaming, amazing dynamic range, snappy OS, built in apps, aesthetic it is a must but....I still see some vertical/less on horizontal panning stutter due to the panel type. I have a 2019 LG, so maybe with newer models or top end Panny/Sony these issues may be covered up with slight motion interpolation magic, but its my only niggle (and I don't see it often, but it there). I have my old Panny PX60 plasma upstairs and watch content when the kids take over the oled, and from a motion perspective, its just feels smoother..

Would I go back to plasma full time, not a chance...

It is ....and it isnt
For my needs, UHD content, 4k/HDR streaming, 4K/HDR/120Hz gaming, amazing dynamic range, snappy OS, built in apps, aesthetic it is a must but....I still see some vertical/less on horizontal panning stutter due to the panel type. I have a 2019 LG, so maybe with newer models or top end Panny/Sony these issues may be covered up with slight motion interpolation magic, but its my only niggle (and I don't see it often, but it there). I have my old Panny PX60 plasma upstairs and watch content when the kids take over the oled, and from a motion perspective, its just feels smoother..

Would I go back to plasma full time, not a chance...
Yes, its "what you don't know, you don't miss" once you see/use something new you wonder how you managed before, bit like with cars, when you have a car with air con you wonder how you managed before :cool:

I'd like to upgrade to 4k, replace my old Panasonic blu-ray player with uhd player and upgrade my Marantz NR1603 to latest 4k version.

Yes, its "what you don't know, you don't miss" once you see/use something new you wonder how you managed before, bit like with cars, when you have a car with air con you wonder how you managed before :cool:

I'd like to upgrade to 4k, replace my old Panasonic blu-ray player with uhd player and upgrade my Marantz NR1603 to latest 4k version.
You will be blown away trust me. I loved my old plasmas but they just don't compare with OLEDs.

I asked myself the exact the same question(s), i.e. coming from a 2010 Panasonic Plasma when I got the 65 inch JZ980 last year.

Straight off the bat it's 'only' a TV, so... it's still just a panel, not science-fiction technology. What I mean by that is some of the adulation an oled panel gets from reviewers etc. is a bit over the top. It's still just a TV. If you oversell something, then people might be disappointed.

But, on the flipside in the 11 months I've had mine I've found practically all of the numerous criticisms I read about oleds completely unwarranted. All talk of 'posterization', 'judder at 24 fps' (or 30fps video games), near black handling or anything else (or like 'low brightness' etc.) has in my view been nothing more than tech quibbling on a massive scale (or exaggerations at best).

The oled panel is the best experience I've had watching films, sport, series & playing video games. It blows the old plasma I had away in every department. In 20 years I've gone from watching VHS tapes on a small CRT TV to watching my favorite blockbusters on a 65 inch oled with perfect colors & perfect contrast (the blacks just make everything pop). Grubby 1080p Netflix streams? They look great. 1080p blu rays on an Xbox One S? It's like being at the cinema. Game of Thrones 4K UHD discs on the same Xbox? It's a visual treat (i.e. that Xbox One S which IMO is a perfectly acceptable little UHD player for what's worth). I have everything in terms of movies & series set to filmmaker mode as well (Disney plus with dolby vision dark).

Video games? Whether it's current stuff at 4k with HDR on my One X (I don't have a new next gen console yet) or older titles at lower resolution, it all looks good (I game on professional 1 & 2 modes). That's 30 fps games as well (forget talk about 30 fps being better on Plasma, it's not true based on my own experience).

In my view the aforementioned tech quibbling is endemic in home entertainment, aka basically finding something to complain about all the time to the extent people make themselves unhappy about tech toys which might not be perfect but for all intents & purposes blow everything which came before away in terms of overall package, i.e. when I take a step back & look at where we've come from since the 1990's? Oled is as good as it gets right now.

So if there's one single item in a home entertainment set-up which deserves some money dropped on it, it's a large oled TV. Everything else suddenly becomes less important (like the type of blu ray player I use, the console I game on, the streaming service I have etc.) because the screen is that good.

Last edited:
Christ I don’t know how people can keep a tv so long ,don’t get me wrong I had a zt and a 5090 prior they were superb TVs for their day. It will not be the sheer resolution bump that will blow you away, it will be that and hdr together, you are in for a treat my friend.

I asked myself the exact the same question(s), i.e. coming from a 2010 Panasonic Plasma when I got the 65 inch JZ980 last year.

Straight off the bat it's 'only' a TV, so... it's still just a panel, not science-fiction technology. What I mean by that is some of the adulation an oled panel gets from reviewers etc. is a bit over the top. It's still just a TV. If you oversell something, then people might be disappointed.

But, on the flipside in the 11 months I've had mine I've found practically all of the numerous criticisms I read about oleds completely unwarranted. All talk of 'posterization', 'judder at 24 fps' (or 30fps video games), near black handling or anything else (or like 'low brightness' etc.) has in my view been nothing more than tech quibbling on a massive scale (or exaggerations at best).

The oled panel is the best experience I've had watching films, sport, series & playing video games. It blows the old plasma I had away in every department. In 20 years I've gone from watching VHS tapes on a small CRT TV to watching my favorite blockbusters on a 65 inch oled with perfect colors & perfect contrast (the blacks just make everything pop). Grubby 1080p Netflix streams? They look great. 1080p blu rays on an Xbox One S? It's like being at the cinema. Game of Thrones 4K UHD discs on the same Xbox? It's a visual treat (i.e. that Xbox One S which IMO is a perfectly acceptable little UHD player for what's worth). I have everything in terms of movies & series set to filmmaker mode as well (Disney plus with dolby vision dark).

Video games? Whether it's current stuff at 4k with HDR on my One X (I don't have a new next gen console yet) or older titles at lower resolution, it all looks good (I game on professional 1 & 2 modes). That's 30 fps games as well (forget talk about 30 fps being better on Plasma, it's not true based on my own experience).

In my view the aforementioned tech quibbling is endemic in home entertainment, aka basically finding something to complain about all the time to the extent people make themselves unhappy about tech toys which might not be perfect but for all intents & purposes blow everything which came before away in terms of overall package, i.e. when I take a step back & look at where we've come from since the 1990's? Oled is as good as it gets right now.

So if there's one single item in a home entertainment set-up which deserves some money dropped on it, it's a large oled TV. Everything else suddenly becomes less important (like the type of blu ray player I use, the console I game on, the streaming service I have etc.) because the screen is that good.
I'm very happy to hear that you're find 30fps to play just fine on Panasonic OLED. Have you done any SDR gaming on it? No gradual dimming or anything dodgy like that?

I also have a TX-P50GT60 plasma - I bought an oled TX-55JZ2000E - for me, the plasma has a nicer picture and it also has a 3D function - I am disappointed with the oled TV, I expected more

I'm very happy to hear that you're find 30fps to play just fine on Panasonic OLED. Have you done any SDR gaming on it? No gradual dimming or anything dodgy like that?

No, no dimming at all. I have the logo luminance control set to max & the pixel orbiter on as well (I also turn the TV off with the remote, always, so the panel does its pixel refresh cycle).

With regards to 30fps, it totally depends on the game. I found the 30fps option in games like the Mass Effect Legendary Edition (specifically Mass Effect 1) or Resident Evil Village a bit choppy for example, whereas in games like Detroit Become Human on the ps4 it was absolutely fine. I never thought about the framerate at all in that title. I also have games like Prey installed on the One X & it's a 30fps SDR game (no HDR) & IMO for a first person game it's completely fine & perfectly playable. Then there's titles like Forza Horizon which have really, really good 30fps modes. It's really all about the motion blur & how well that game was developed with 30fps in mind (Red Dead Redemption 2 also runs very nicely at 30fps on the Xbox One X). I occasionally do some classic titles as well (like Condemned recently, i.e. an Xbox 360 release title), it was fine with its 30fps, SDR & lower resolution. The perfect contrast of the oled made it look way better than on the plasma.

I'd basically choose to play 30fps on the oled over the plasma every time because of the better picture quality & clarity. I just find it far nicer on my eyes. It's not like I don't care about fps either (or that I'm not sensitive), i.e. I can be depending on the game but the overall narrative online about oled being an awful experience in 30fps games? (i.e. with the implication being oled is worse than other panels at lower framerates) Considering it was something I was honestly concerned about before getting my own oled last year based on everything I'd read & watched, since experiencing it for myself I've found those comments to be a total exaggeration. This applies to 24fps movies as well without motion interpolation. I don't notice judder at all in filmmaker mode.

Clarity is very noticeable in gaming.
Mate has an Xbox one with a lcd, v my ps5 & oled. Playing Cod at his, I really struggle, looks soft, out of focus almost …

Some good replies there. I still have the TV as on the whole I'm still happy with it, I have a Roku stick plugged in for streaming. I agree, the TV is the item to spend the money on, I'd like a 65" but the alcove won't quite fit that in, so I'll have to settle for a 55", but I sit about 10 feet away from it, so I guess the 4k res will be less noticeable.

I also have a TX-P50GT60 plasma - I bought an oled TX-55JZ2000E - for me, the plasma has a nicer picture and it also has a 3D function - I am disappointed with the oled TV, I expected more
On What normal tv? Eg 1080i?? and so on maybe even then I think not but will get it everything else not even close

That's just crazy. I went from a GT60 to an EZ952 then my current GZ1000 - there is no comparison.

The JZ2000 has a very dark image in movies where there are scenes at night - in a cellar - in a cave and the like, and in bright scenes the image overburns - I don't like that at all. Plasma does not do this - resolution is not everything - OLED disappointed me a lot!

The JZ2000 has a very dark image in movies where there are scenes at night - in a cellar - in a cave and the like, and in bright scenes the image overburns - I don't like that at all. Plasma does not do this - resolution is not everything - OLED disappointed me a lot!
That is exactly the opposite of the professional reviews of the TV - what picture mode are you using?

So you're complaining about the expanded colour range? That's what it sounds like...

I tried all modes and nothing works - in the end I use my modified mode - the image reminds me of an LCD where it's like a little painted

Yeah, strange, was interested in the LZ2000, now may as well wait until next year's models.
You haven’t seen much as the Panasonic beats both these models and the margins are low!

Guys yous should understand or maybe for some needs to be remembered that plasma has a higher mll and better shadow details for that reason. It has also a lot clearer near black handling and phosphorus displays have a more filmic, "organic" image. I understand users that find plasma picture more lifelike, more nicer.
In my opinion for better shadow detail these oled s should not be calibrated at a flat 2.4 gama. And Panasonic by default starts from a lower gama in lower IREs.

But, plasma has issues with over all brightness , it has a more aggressive ABL, phosphorus trails, a lot less stable image that change wb and gamma depending on APL , lower resolution, "snake oil" faces , etc etc.
Over all OLEDs are the better tvs and the ones that can display current HDR formats at its best.

This TV keeps getting better and better!

Attachments

• 3CF28F8B-5E1E-47AB-88FC-5D79BA893E48.jpeg
    3CF28F8B-5E1E-47AB-88FC-5D79BA893E48.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 879EA5C2-1758-4CA0-87CA-F8B7C2283FF1.jpeg
    879EA5C2-1758-4CA0-87CA-F8B7C2283FF1.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 242
  • D0FD6BE8-3D35-469D-994D-6CCF074980FC.jpeg
    D0FD6BE8-3D35-469D-994D-6CCF074980FC.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 239
Do 2022 Panasonic TVs still have always-on logo dimming with the 3 settings - low, medium, high - as in previous years?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom