NEWS: Panasonic exits Australian TV market - Beginning of the end?

I really want to agree with that. Up until CES this year I had my mind set on the GZ950... then the HZ was announced and now I don't know what to do! Wait for the HZ to retail and get the GZ discounted or go straight for the HZ.

As I mentioned, I will expect similar longevity as my current one so the constant, annual refresh is putting me off pulling the trigger, and now I'm wondering if it's actually better "cheaping" out and refreshing every couple of years instead!
You will need to wait another 6 months for the HZ. The differences between the GZ & the HZ is Filmmaker Mode, Dolby Vision IQ, Dolby Vision Calibration, More Detailed ISF Calibration Tools, eARC. And they'll no doubt claim this Panel goes Brighter for HDR Specular Highlights.
eARC,

Panasonic never announce their full range at CES. They have their own reveal show which should be in next few weeks.
Is the Convention always in Germany? Think it was Frankfurt last year and Hamburg year before that if I'm not mistaken.

Panasonic is behind the curve in lots of places where it matters to consumers. The app. compliment is lacking on UK TVs — no AppleTV, no NowTV for example, and I’m not sure that Disney+ is going to surface either. The interfaces on their TVs and BR players is clunky and needs overhauling. Build quality has taken a dive, in my opinion, clearly in an attempt to cut costs. Support for recent products is quickly withdrawn when new kit is released. Empires rise and fall, and so do brands. Panasonic doesn’t stand out from the crowd now in the way that it once did. Like all companies, it needs to make money, but people nowadays are smart enough to spot the changes. Panasonic can react in two ways: it can reinvent itself, delivering reliable products that people want to buy, or it can rest in its laurels and wither on the vine. It sounds like for the Australian market, it’s decided to withdraw rather than do something about it. Panasonic’s loss, ultimately.

Clem

Panasonic can react in two ways: it can reinvent itself, delivering reliable products that people want to buy, or it can rest in its laurels and wither on the vine. It sounds like for the Australian market, it’s decided to withdraw rather than do something about it. Panasonic’s loss, ultimately.

Clem
I wouldn't say it bothers them - TV has never been a big division for them (just like Sony with mobile) since they exited Plasma. They're not really interested in the consumer electronics market.

They don't have the scale of Korean or Chinese companies and rely on buying in panels from rivals = higher prices than rivals who can build the whole set themselves.

As for software, although it's always perfectly stable (no crashing), I agree - it has always been a mess. Samsung and LG came from a computing background and hired the best engineers and saw the future in how important software was, leaving the Japanese behind.

Sony were quick to catch up but Panasonic never seemed to care. Firefox OS was quite nice, but it was still 4 years behind the market leaders and now it's only equal to Vestel's own Linux system (which is quite good now) - that's because it has been standing still.

I wouldn't say the build quality is 'poor' with Panasonic, though - but none of the leading brands is really any worse than anyone else.

Panasonic is behind the curve in lots of places where it matters to consumers. The app. compliment is lacking on UK TVs — no AppleTV, no NowTV for example, and I’m not sure that Disney+ is going to surface either. The interfaces on their TVs and BR players is clunky and needs overhauling. Build quality has taken a dive, in my opinion, clearly in an attempt to cut costs. Support for recent products is quickly withdrawn when new kit is released. Empires rise and fall, and so do brands. Panasonic doesn’t stand out from the crowd now in the way that it once did. Like all companies, it needs to make money, but people nowadays are smart enough to spot the changes. Panasonic can react in two ways: it can reinvent itself, delivering reliable products that people want to buy, or it can rest in its laurels and wither on the vine. It sounds like for the Australian market, it’s decided to withdraw rather than do something about it. Panasonic’s loss, ultimately.

Clem
Totally...

I recently purchased the GZ950 and it's a stonking TV in terms of Image in SDR, 4k, 4k HDR and DV...particularly once Professionally ISF Calibrated. Yeah the Apps Dashboard is pretty kack tbh, think you could say it's basic & functional I only use it for Netflix & Prime Video and to be fair hasn't crashed on me yet.

I also have the Panasonic UB820 4k Player, same applies Video and Audio Quality is Amazing, but the Dashboard is dated & clunky. I can understand why Enthusiasts get frustrated with Panasonic in this regard, when we look at LG's WebOS, Samsung's Tizen and laterally Sony & Philips latest iterations of Android UI on their Sets all other 4 Manufacturers UI's are more modern & slick.

Is the Convention always in Germany? Think it was Frankfurt last year and Hamburg year before that if I'm not mistaken.
The Panasonic Convention no longer exists. The UK TV launch is in a few weeks at Pinewood. We will have full coverage as usual.

The app. compliment is lacking on UK TVs
This doesn't bother me (nor does sound/speakers etc.); I have an external streaming box. I really wish there was a 4K Pro Panel series... a direct replacement/upgrade to my existing.

Support for recent products is quickly withdrawn when new kit is released
That however does bother me.

The differences between the GZ & the HZ is Filmmaker Mode, Dolby Vision IQ, Dolby Vision Calibration, More Detailed ISF Calibration Tools, eARC
Yeah I've been following the updates on here from CES. As I said earlier though are those micro-changes enough to wait for? It's such a confusing time to be buying a TV!!!!

Will be interesting to see the release price of equivalent 950, if one ends up coming.

This doesn't bother me (nor does sound/speakers etc.); I have an external streaming box. I really wish there was a 4K Pro Panel series... a direct replacement/upgrade to my existing.

That however does bother me.

Yeah I've been following the updates on here from CES. As I said earlier though are those micro-changes enough to wait for? It's such a confusing time to be buying a TV!!!!

Will be interesting to see the release price of equivalent 950, if one ends up coming.
As I've said my GZ950 is an Amazing Set. And one I would thoroughly recommend. A full detailed ISF Calibration is a must to achieve the absolute best out of it...IMO. Only feature on the HZ that I don't have that appeals too me is eARC, that said not a deal breaker...apart from that not too fussed with any of the new 2020 features.

I really want to agree with that. Up until CES this year I had my mind set on the GZ950... then the HZ was announced and now I don't know what to do! Wait for the HZ to retail and get the GZ discounted or go straight for the HZ.

As I mentioned, I will expect similar longevity as my current one so the constant, annual refresh is putting me off pulling the trigger, and now I'm wondering if it's actually better "cheaping" out and refreshing every couple of years instead!

Depends if you are happy with your current set. If you are wait it out until the end of the year when the HZ is discounted. If not just pull the trigger now on a discounted GZ.

Wouldn't surprise me if Panasonic pulled out of the CE market outside of Asia. Their mid-term plan (https://www.panasonic.com/global/corporate/ir/pdf/20190509_vision_e.pdf) suggests their CE business is pretty lacklustre outside Japan and Asia and they want to focus on the profitable battery and automotive markets.

It would be good to see them do something different - such as release a wallpaper OLED screen with acoustic surface and an upgradable box to provide processor, inputs and tuners etc. They just don't stand out - only dedicated AV geeks like us know Panasonic's picure quality tends to be the best: Joe Public just sees all the brands making the same claims.

I recently bought a Panasonic 65" GZ1000 OLED TV here in New Zealand, and its superb.

I haven't heard any news on Panasonic dropping the NZ market. NZ doesn't have many other brands beside the big four of Panasonic, Sony, LG and Samsung. Philips only have a couple of outlets, and then not their full range. TCL have one major outlet, and that's about it. So, hopefully Panny will be around in this part of the world for a few more years.

And then there is Veon......

As someone said in an earlier post, the majority of TV viewers don't care about quality, just supposed value for money. The Warehouse are a large chain of stores, and they sell a brand called Veon, which are extremely cheap Chinese models. The Warehouse claim that Veon are the biggest selling TV's in NZ, so it seems that price does come before quality for the average NZ consumer.

Australia has it's own digital TV standard which makes it more expensive to produce models for that market.
I used to test stuff like that.

I recently bought a Panasonic 65" GZ1000 OLED TV here in New Zealand, and its superb.

I haven't heard any news on Panasonic dropping the NZ market. NZ doesn't have many other brands beside the big four of Panasonic, Sony, LG and Samsung. Philips only have a couple of outlets, and then not their full range. TCL have one major outlet, and that's about it. So, hopefully Panny will be around in this part of the world for a few more years.

And then there is Veon......

As someone said in an earlier post, the majority of TV viewers don't care about quality, just supposed value for money. The Warehouse are a large chain of stores, and they sell a brand called Veon, which are extremely cheap Chinese models. The Warehouse claim that Veon are the biggest selling TV's in NZ, so it seems that price does come before quality for the average NZ consumer.

To be fair, TCL is in Smiths City, JB HiFi and Noel Leeming + the 100% stores... so it is pretty much everywhere other than Harvey Norman.
Philips are certainly only represented by PB Tech and Harvey Norman, so they would rank somewhere under TCL... and Sharp is MIA in NZ, while it's somewhat more prominent in Aussie.

The word is that Aussie has been dominated by budget brands for a lot longer than NZ, but many indicate that New Zealand will follow suit and 'go to the dogs'... as such.

Veon had some massive wins for a while due to WINZ who handed them out to those on a benefit (via a chit type system). For a while they started using Konka TV's instead. Interesting how the numbers are actually made up!

at's because it has been standing still.
The Panasonic Convention no longer exists. The UK TV launch is in a few weeks at Pinewood. We will have full coverage as usual.
So this year they stopped doing the convention too? I remember them having a convention every year. Where and how will they announce models for countries outside uk? Some models outside uk are different. So now all they'll have is a low profile press briefing in the uk to announce the tv models? It's not looking good at panasonic's end. Their marketing is so shabby compared to LG and i doubt they are even putting in a worthwhile effort in marketing any more.,

Where do they even physically sell Panasonic OLEDs in Canada?

Best Buy's website has no Panasonic's in store according to their website Panasonic - Cameras, Cordless Phones & more | Best Buy Canada

Costco and Walmart do not carry them. Is it just smaller HT stores?
Yes, here in Canada only the smaller specialty stores carry Panasonic. The store I have been dealing with for 20 years still has Panasonic and I've seen the GZ2000 and GZ1000 and they are stunning OLED's. I really really want one.

Whilst my Panasonic plasma 50" VT30 is just over six year's old and still going as well as it was when new, the Mitsubishi 33" CRT I mentioned above was going strong for (apart from one small replacement part) nineteen year's before it gave up the ghost.
I've always personally thought Pioneer and Panasonic tv's gave the most accurate and natural picture on their top flagship tv's. Would be such a shame if they did ditch the television division or got taken over by a bigger Chinese company.

Hopefully Panasonic will be ok in the UK market. Really crossing my fingers that they come out with mini and micro led TV's. A mini or micro led Panasonic with a Samsung anti reflective filter would be hard to beat.
Panasonic are working on a dual panel LCD similar to Hisense that theoretically produces blacks as good as OLED. But I think it's only currently going to be available to film studios for mastering movies.

My Viera plasma over 10 years stil rocking ♥♥♥♥

Thought I’d enter the conversation here,can’t remember when I last posted on these forums

Anyway as we touched on Vieras I doff my cap to my :-

17yr old Panasonic Viera 42PE30B still my main tv and will be till it fails mainly because it & the DMR-E95H I purchased cost me £3k

I've always brought panasonic tvs reliability was one of the main reasons had mates who brought Samsung and lgs which always seemed to suffer power supply problems. One I knew paid £250 for a new power switch that broke just after his guarrentee ran out. Fingers crossed panasonic will stay in Europe.

I expect my next TV to be Sony.

My Viera plasma over 10 years stil rocking

Panasonic made a mistake stopping the plasma TV production. They can still compete with low and mid range LCD/LED sets nowadays.

We just need to keep buying all the new kit that surfaces!

I think that is part of th eproblem. People have got wise nowadays and have stopped falling for the technical jargon and realised that it all a load of rubbish. So they are sticking with their old sets until a major development happens. I still have my Samsung LCD which I bought for £500 new around 8 years ago.

I wanted to get a top end tv last year but after reading about all the issues and shortcomings of both Qled and Oled camps I simply refused to splash my money.

Panasonic's 2 key messages:

• Picture Quality
  • Reliability
Two things average consumers care less about each year.

That is not true. People still want reliability and they still look for quality. However they have realised that especially in terms of picture quality there have been no major advances for a good few years.

got taken over by a bigger Chinese company.

That is the future. Embrace it. Eventually China will own most of the major brands.

The only saviour will be Japanese government intervening and putting a stop to Panasonic TV arm being sold to a Chinese company under the grounds of national interests (like they did with Toshiba not long ago).

With the world demand for batteries increasing like Moores law, I would say top level Panasonic execs are looking at a more profitable business going forward

I think that is part of th eproblem. People have got wise nowadays and have stopped falling for the technical jargon and realised that it all a load of rubbish. So they are sticking with their old sets until a major development happens. I still have my Samsung LCD which I bought for £500 new around 8 years ago.
I wanted to get a top end tv last year but after reading about all the issues and shortcomings of both Qled and Oled camps I simply refused to splash my money.
We made the mistake of upgrading to Samsung Q90 and since day one we have had issues with lip sync due to audio lag.
Our 12 year old 40" Sony Bravia is still going strong and being used in the bedroom. The 12 year old 19" LG is now in the kitchen. Both are at the end of a 12m cable, Sony coaxial and LG HDMI. No lip sync issues!
Now wish we had gone for another SonyA9 or Panasonic GZ2000 however the models we were interested in were over £500 more and out of our budget.
As we are within the 30 day period we can return the units and exchange but Panasonic and Sony are still out of our reach. We look for quality, reliability, decent picture and sound. We do not use the TV for games but TV is on most of the day and evening.

Thought I’d enter the conversation here,can’t remember when I last posted on these forums

Anyway as we touched on Vieras I doff my cap to my :-

17yr old Panasonic Viera 42PE30B still my main tv and will be till it fails mainly because it & the DMR-E95H I purchased cost me £3k
I see so much love online from people still rocking Panasonic plasmas. You plasma folk really do hold them in high regard. Never owned one myself but I love the love you lot give them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom