NEWS: Panasonic Announces DP-UB450 UHD Blu-ray Player

XrayDoc88

Novice Member
I guess I'm confused about Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support. My receiver already supports both of these audio formats and I have a full 7.2.4 speaker system. I connect my current Blu-ray player only through HDMI. Dolby Atmos and DTS-X soundtracks decode fine. Will this new Panasonic player not send DTS-X soundtracks to my receiver for proper decoding? Since when does the Blu-ray player have to "support" these positional audio formats? Thanks.

SeeMoreDigital

Anyone knows if this player read ISOs and BDMV files from a NAS, like Oppo 203 does?
The OPPO's don't officially support playback of .ISO image files as this is not permitted. Indeed, no disc player is permitted to do this.

They are however able to access files placed within a BDMV folder, provided that folder is placed within an AVCHD folder...

SeeMoreDigital

P-P-S-S

I assume this player doesnt support SACD and DVD A?

P-P-S-S

SeeMoreDigital

Apologies for being off topic but is there any that do? Without having to pay a fortune?
There's a reasonably priced new/upcoming Sony that will...

XrayDoc88

Novice Member
It's always good practice to refer to the manufacturers information source: Specs - DP-UB450EB Blu-ray & DVD Players - Panasonic UK & Ireland

Well, I looked through those specs carefully. If I understand the audio section correctly, then I believe the Blu-ray player does nothing with Dolby Atmos or DTS-X other than pass it through to your receiver to decode. I find it odd then that Panasonic would advertise the player as "supporting" Dolby Atmos, say nothing about DTS-X, when they're both only decoded in the receiver.

Regarding Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio it says that it can actually decode those streams. I assume then that the unit must have 7.1 analog outs on the back, although that isn't even mentioned in the specs. :(

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Well, I looked through those specs carefully. If I understand the audio section correctly, then I believe the Blu-ray player does nothing with Dolby Atmos or DTS-X other than pass it through to your receiver to decode. I find it odd then that Panasonic would advertise the player as "supporting" Dolby Atmos, say nothing about DTS-X, when they're both only decoded in the receiver.

Regarding Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio it says that it can actually decode those streams. I assume then that the unit must have 7.1 analog outs on the back, although that isn't even mentioned in the specs. :(
No
AFAIK it means it can decode and pass these soundtracks as PCM. The UB450, unlike the UB820 and UB9000, does not have 7.1ch analogue outs but does have True HD and DTS HD decoders.

SeeMoreDigital

...I find it odd then that Panasonic would advertise the player as "supporting" Dolby Atmos, say nothing about DTS-X, when they're both only decoded in the receiver.
That's not odd at all. You have always needed an external HDMI connected third party device, such as dedicated AVR to decode Dolby Atmos and/or DTS-X

Nope... In the case of the Panasonic it means the player is capable of 'transcoding' multi-channel Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio audio streams to multi-channel PCM audio.

The PCM audio can then be sent to your AVR via HDMI. But it wont include any Atmos or DTS-X data.

serial45

Does anybody have any idea on the release date for this, just noticed the price is £249.

It's a toss up between this and the 820eb, Which one would you recommend I go for?

I have an atmos amp setup. So will pass audio lead through the amp and a cable to the TV (amp doesn't support dolby vision and there's no way in hell i'm changing my amp yet).

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Does anybody have any idea on the release date for this, just noticed the price is £249.

It's a toss up between this and the 820eb, Which one would you recommend I go for?

I have an atmos amp setup. So will pass audio lead through the amp and a cable to the TV (amp doesn't support dolby vision and there's no way in hell i'm changing my amp yet).
I think likely to be April/May.

Whether to go for this depends if you don't mind the small form factor and flimsier build of the UB450 (1.2kg vs 2.2kg). The UB450 specs show co-ax vs UB820 optical.

One thing to check though is that the UB450 smart feature specs don't show anything for internet apps, mirroring, web browser or Wifi and subtitle position/brightness. Also nothing for 4K VOD and Video on Demand in HD Quality is blank. May just be all the specs aren't listed yet or there could be differences in some of them to the UB820.

As the price difference is so small I'd go for the UB820. Also Panasonic is showing that comes with free UHD voucher code redeemable from Zoom but nothing similar shown for the UB450.
Knock that £20 off the price and it's then closer to price of the UB450 even at RRP.

UB820 has been in some deals recently: £199 at Sevenoaks and a £119 misprice at John Lewis. Look out for ebay discount codes (between 10% to 20% are common) and get it from Hughes Direct or Currys ebay stores at a nice saving over usual price.

Last edited:

serial45

I think likely to be April/May.

Whether to go for this depends if you don't mind the small form factor and flimsier build of the UB450 (1.2kg vs 2.1kg). The UB450 specs show co-ax vs UB820 optical.

One thing to check though is that the UB450 smart feature specs don't show anything for internet apps, mirroring, web browser or Wifi and subtitle position/brightness. Also nothing for 4K VOD and Video on Demand in HD Quality is blank. May just be all the specs aren't listed yet or there could be differences in some of them to the UB820.

As the price difference is so small I'd go for the UB820. Also Panasonic is showing that comes with free UHD redeemable from Zoom but nothing similar shown for the UB450.
Thanks mate that's decided then :).

AGS1

My Setup is also ATMOS driven by a Yamaha RX-A3060. I suggest you go with PAN UB820. I own a PAN UB900 but because of the HDR/Mapping process this unit does i bought one. In my case with the JVC DLA-X5900 projector i am geting an oustanding image. Also for additional info search for Steve’s review on PAN UB820!

geogan

Wondering myself about whether to get the UB820 or wait for the cheaper new UB450. But looking at the specs on Panasonic site, there appears to be a lot missing, the most important for me seems to be the missing “HDR Optimizer”.

I presume this is the feature that makes it possible to tone map and view 4K discs on a non-HDR projector is it?

So the new UB450 not having this would make it useless for projector use would it?

AGS1

Wondering myself about whether to get the UB820 or wait for the cheaper new UB450. But looking at the specs on Panasonic site, there appears to be a lot missing, the most important for me seems to be the missing “HDR Optimizer”.

I presume this is the feature that makes it possible to tone map and view 4K discs on a non-HDR projector is it?

So the new UB450 not having this would make it useless for projector use would it?

I suggest you read my comments to serial 45 ref. March 21 AGS1

martin 39

Hi just wondering with this having Atmos would you now be able to get Netflix Atmos to a Atmos soundbar thank you

AGS1

The new released DP-UB450 UHD Blu-ray player is a affordable option and has same support for HDR formats. Next as the more expensive UB9000 and UB820, UB450 supports both HDR10+and Dolby Vision , in addition to the base HDR10 format and is missing the
"HDR Optimizer”. It also handles Dolby Atmos and DTS:X as well as hi-res audio formats. So if your budget is not a problem, for a small difference I will recommend the UB820!

Last edited:

brad123

I have the Epsom Tw9400 projector just released. Can’t decide if to go for the 450 or 820 players, the 820 does HDR10+ doesn’t it but does the projector make use of that? Don’t want to pay for the bigger spec machine if I won’t notice the difference?

AGS1

I have the Epsom Tw9400 projector just released. Can’t decide if to go for the 450 or 820 players, the 820 does HDR10+ doesn’t it but does the projector make use of that? Don’t want to pay for the bigger spec machine if I won’t notice the difference?
Per specification the Epson EH-TW9400 does support for HDR10, HLG HDR formats and 18GBPS 4K signals. Therefore Panasonic 820 is a-good mach and price wise represents about 10% of the your projector’s cost. On the long run is an investment -highly recommended.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom