NEWS: Panasonic 2018 LED LCD TV Line-up revealed

jamct

Hey @jamct - is the FX750 up at your local store?
Not yet at the John Lewis Trafford Centre, Manchester store as of last Wednesday. However it may be at the Cheadle store so I hope to call in there on Sunday on my way to visit a relative in close-by Wilmslow. Watch this space!.

UPDATE: Telephoned JL today, only the 75" FX750 in the Cheadle showroom currently on display so I won't be calling in tomorrow :(.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Here are some pics, with the FX750 behind and the OLED infront. the OLED had Pacific RIm on repeat.. whereas I got someone from JL to change from Batman vs Superman to Pacific Rim. Colours are definitely more vibrant and blacks - black on the OLED, but I thought the FX750 still looked impressive? - thoughts guys?
There is no way you can make an impression of a TV in the store like that. Maybe with motion if you take it out of shop mode and have a play with settings.

Bright lights won't show the discrepancies with the FX series new IPS panels for example which will be more prone to bad screen uniformity than last years EX750 with a VA panel.

alinktothepast

There is no way you can make an impression of a TV in the store like that. Maybe with motion if you take it out of shop mode and have a play with settings.

Bright lights won't show the discrepancies with the FX series new IPS panels for example which will be more prone to bad screen uniformity than last years EX750 with a VA panel.
@Dodgexander - Thanks!

Do you have any tips on how I could attempt to check this instore? I was hoping that someone would have posted some videos/ exp of the TV online already :(

I'd love an OLED but £££ :(

jamct

@Dodgexander - Thanks!

Do you have any tips on how I could attempt to check this instore? I was hoping that someone would have posted some videos/ exp of the TV online already :(

I'd love an OLED but £££ :(
Decided to purchase Sony KD49XF9005 so FX750 now off my shortlist. Hope you will be happy with your purchase.

Plugman

The FX90 best 49/50 inch tv for picture for sure. I really hope Sony keep making these high end so called smaller sizes. They now seem to be the only manufacturer to do so.

alinktothepast

Just thought I'd check if anyone had any updates or new views on the Panasonic FX series? TV's with VA panels wouldn't work for me as it's for family viewing

Natcheztrace

Novice Member
First time poster,long time lurker.Why have panasonic not got the fx750 in stores for the world cup?.What a major blunder.Been a long time pana fan,stll using the gt60 plasma as main tv and an old 10 year old pana plasma in bedroom both have not missed a beat.I have yet to be convinced that the new tv's beat the plasmas for sport.when i see the new tv's in any store i see artifacts that i have never seen before in my plasma's.Was hoping the fx750 might convince me to upgrade but as it does not seem to have general release yet(not even j.lewis.edinburgh has one on show) i wil just stick with my trusty plasma for the time being.

alinktothepast

@Natcheztrace - Welcome to AVFORUMS. I'm not sure about JL where you are, but the one in London had the FX750 since May 26. I've posted some impressions and pics which you can see at #175.

I was hoping someone would indeed post / review the TV but nothing yet. From my time with the TV - I quite liked it and it has been tempting me for a while!

I also hear that JL have the rights to sell the TV exclusively until midish June.

Hope that helps.

Natcheztrace

Novice Member
Will pop in to J.L. in edinburgh to see the tv.just seems strange to me to limit where you can see/purchase the tv during the world cup to one retailer.JL are not exactly in every high street!.Maybe makes sense to panasonic hq.

Natcheztrace

Novice Member
yes,had the 55&65 on show but not the 50 that i need.looked pretty good but as usual all "enhancements"on which i turned off.even with them all off some off the images wear eye blinding bright.so used to plasmas natural colours i suppose.actually going to see a used 50vt65 tomorrow.might just take a punt on that for a quarter of its original price if its halfway decent.

alinktothepast

yes,had the 55&65 on show but not the 50 that i need.looked pretty good but as usual all "enhancements"on which i turned off.even with them all off some off the images wear eye blinding bright.so used to plasmas natural colours i suppose.actually going to see a used 50vt65 tomorrow.might just take a punt on that for a quarter of its original price if its halfway decent.

@Natcheztrace .... Any update ? :)

Natcheztrace

Novice Member
Well looked again at the fx750 but could not bring myself to spend £1200 on it.Not really interested in uhd/4K/HDR as,an hd picture is sharp enough for my aged eyes.Found and bought a 50gt60 for £200(my birthday today so my wife gave me £50 to watch the World Cup games over the weekend so I will stay in and get a few beers in to watch the games and put the £50 towards the tv so it only cost me £150 which I think you will agree is a bargain for a TV that cost the best part of £1,400 5 years ago).Watching the game just now on the 50 and I realise why I love my Panasonic plasma's for football.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I managed to see what I believe is our version of the fx750 tonight (lord knows why it's the fx800 over here). I'm very tempted by it, the sony x90f was our preferred model but we can't justify almost $3000 on it (or am oled for that matter). I'm really thinking 55 is just a tad too big for us too so the FX being available at the right size is a plus. In the shop the Panasonic's stood out to me because they didn't stand out, so many of the sets were over the top on their colours and just insanely bright. It's tough choosing, the shops just don't reflect the real world but I think for the price the Panasonic looks decent. I'm still struggling to find tech specs on sets sold here though saying what sort of lighting they have and the difference between all the different "local dimming" options each manufacturer has made, weirdly we get a lot of American sets that have the same model numbernumb are a totally different TV.

Dodgexander

I managed to see what I believe is our version of the fx750 tonight (lord knows why it's the fx800 over here). I'm very tempted by it, the sony x90f was our preferred model but we can't justify almost $3000 on it (or am oled for that matter). I'm really thinking 55 is just a tad too big for us too so the FX being available at the right size is a plus. In the shop the Panasonic's stood out to me because they didn't stand out, so many of the sets were over the top on their colours and just insanely bright. It's tough choosing, the shops just don't reflect the real world but I think for the price the Panasonic looks decent. I'm still struggling to find tech specs on sets sold here though saying what sort of lighting they have and the difference between all the different "local dimming" options each manufacturer has made, weirdly we get a lot of American sets that have the same model numbernumb are a totally different TV.
I'm not sure its the same TV. I had heard the FX800 had local dimming despite being edge lit...but this was in Europe. Elsewhere who knows what the FX800 is, it could be the FX780 here in Europe or a different TV altogether.

But you can't judge a TV in a showroom, it's just not possible without a dark room demo with your own content and the remote control to take it out of shop mode and the horrible adversely bright and vivid picture modes they put the TVs in.

I don't hold much hope for Panasonic anymore since they decided to go with IPS type panels this year. I think last years models are actually going to be better TVs unless you need wider viewing angles.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure its the same TV. I had heard the FX800 had local dimming despite being edge lit...but this was in Europe. Elsewhere who knows what the FX800 is, it could be the FX780 here in Europe or a different TV altogether.

But you can't judge a TV in a showroom, it's just not possible without a dark room demo with your own content and the remote control to take it out of shop mode and the horrible adversely bright and vivid picture modes they put the TVs in.

I don't hold much hope for Panasonic anymore since they decided to go with IPS type panels this year. I think last years models are actually going to be better TVs unless you need wider viewing angles.
This is our FX800Z, looks very similar to the 750B but is think minor changes to make things like freeview work (new Zealand ran with a bizarre encoding system so hardly anything from overseas works here, so that limits what we can buy):

TH-49FX800Z Premium Ultra HD TVs - Panasonic New Zealand

They both have "local dimming Pro" but o can't find any sign of if they are edge or rear lit. The lg sets in the shop looked kind of nice but they were showing the demo of snow fields so the blanks really couldn't be seen.

Dodgexander

This is our FX800Z, looks very similar to the 750B but is think minor changes to make things like freeview work (new Zealand ran with a bizarre encoding system so hardly anything from overseas works here, so that limits what we can buy):

TH-49FX800Z Premium Ultra HD TVs - Panasonic New Zealand

They both have "local dimming Pro" but o can't find any sign of if they are edge or rear lit. The lg sets in the shop looked kind of nice but they were showing the demo of snow fields so the blanks really couldn't be seen.
The problem for me is they have moved to IPS type panels, this is a massive blow for anyone who prefers deeper blacks, higher contrast ratio and a more uniform screen compared to last years VA panels.

I don't know if the local dimming is going to be any better than last year but I doubt it. Edge lit or direct lit there is a great problem with manufacturers and Panasonic are no exception where they slap local dimming as a feature on any TV that has a toggle in the menu.

How effective that toggle is is another matter. In many cases its best left disabled when the implementation of it is so poor.

The best way to judge the TV will be to hope that somewhere decides to review it professionally.

But really I hold no hope at all, I'd be avoiding this TV at all costs unless I knew I needed an IPS panel.

alinktothepast

The problem for me is they have moved to IPS type panels, this is a massive blow for anyone who prefers deeper blacks, higher contrast ratio and a more uniform screen compared to last years VA panels.

I don't know if the local dimming is going to be any better than last year but I doubt it. Edge lit or direct lit there is a great problem with manufacturers and Panasonic are no exception where they slap local dimming as a feature on any TV that has a toggle in the menu.

How effective that toggle is is another matter. In many cases its best left disabled when the implementation of it is so poor.

The best way to judge the TV will be to hope that somewhere decides to review it professionally.

But really I hold no hope at all, I'd be avoiding this TV at all costs unless I knew I needed an IPS panel.

I think you are being a bit too negative here about the TV and IPS panels. There are surely those (inc. myself) who find VA panels don't make for great viewing if you sit off center. In that essence I've personally found the picture to be worse than an IPS panel if you sit anything off center; doesn't make great viewing for family or if you have a few people watching the TV.

I personally managed to catch this TV instore before closing as it was quieter. The staff kindly accepted my request if I could view the TV with the lights down. I'm not sure what Panasonic have done, but I was impressed with the blacks - in some instances they were black black (obviously not OLED black). I think this TV could be a dark horse and hope for the price to reduce a little.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021