NEWS: Optoma reveals UHZ50 4K laser projector

The MSRP 2800$ will probably settle down to 2000$ in a couple of months.

It's not expensive for a laser but why not buy the bulb verison, which is only 1200$, instead of paying double for a laser, unless you are using the projector as a TV, 4-5h/day?

It's not expensive for a laser but why not buy the bulb verison, which is only 1200$, instead of paying double for a laser, unless you are using the projector as a TV, 4-5h/day?

Resale value for one. If you can sell a projector with 20,000+ hours of life in it you're going to get more than one that's going to need a bulb in the next 500 hours.

I'm not certain but I'm assuming you don't need to re-calibrate due to bulb degradation like you do with bulb projectors or suffer from bulb degradation at all (at least within the lifetime of the projector).

I'm also assuming 3000 laser lumens are not the same as 3000 bulb lumens (they are of course technically the same but I'm guessing in practice the laser is more uniform and bright especially over time)

G

The part about calibration is a valid point when we are talking about seriouse home cinema projectors. Those entry level Optoma's don't have too much calibration options , they don't actually display bt 2020 corectly, HDR it's just a name on the box for them and so on. In cinema preset they look ok from a calibration point of view so most people are just gona use them out of the box anyway.

I don't know what to say about those claimed 20 000 h as i have not seen how such projectors perform after so many h of usage. The bulb replacement might be the last of your concern when buying an used entry level projectors with so many miles. The laser inside might last 20 000h but personally I don't think the projector overall is built to last so long.

I think with Laser you still will need recalibrations from time to time though nowhere near the amount with a bulb projector.

Exactly this, i use my projector as a TV meaning its gets an hour or 2 usage per day on average, and a few more at the weekend.

Lamp life is a huge factor for someone like me. That 3000h quoted for an OEM lamp soon drops to more like 1000h when you are switching it on and off regularly. in my experience the number of startups is a much more critical metric of lamp health than running hours.

That $1000 extra for a laser source will break even in a couple of years just in lamp changes, never mind the convenience and risk of further damage caused by an exploding lamp.

If the price gets to sub £2k i'll be getting one

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom