NEWS: Optoma opens preorders for 4K UHZ65UST short throw projector with soundbar

For those who are asking for input lag: it's not quite good
Input-lag-Optoma-UHZ65UST-1024x592.jpg

You can check from this review: Test Optoma UHZ65UST : l’avis de Grégory – – Le Blog de PHC – (english at the bottom of the page)

Oh dear :(

The more I read the more I think it’s a one box does all job.

I’m sure the picture (calibrated) will be pretty good, but there’s no way to fit a centre speaker in there.

So, for stereo fellows, or those happy with whatever it sounds like as a single box, probably a good idea.

But, anyone on this forum who wants a tidy 100”+ picture is going to want the full 7.1.2 at least...

So despite the tidy ness of the thing, probably a non starter.

It was very good. An ambient light rejecting screen was used in a fairly bright environment. This will be a great solution for many.

What is the sound like using the in-built sound-bar? Assuming one does not need surround sound, would it be advisable to invest in a decent dedicated standalone soundbar for decent sound ? I presume a good external media player would also be better than the one that has been incorporated into the projector. Your input will be appreciated.

What is the sound like using the in-built sound-bar? Assuming one does not need surround sound, would it be advisable to invest in a decent dedicated standalone soundbar for decent sound ? I presume a good external media player would also be better than the one that has been incorporated into the projector. Your input will be appreciated.
A good sound bar would be our recommendation. Can’t comment on the media player as not seen it in action. We like the projector. It’s a good solution for many.

The more I read the more I think it’s a one box does all job.

I’m sure the picture (calibrated) will be pretty good, but there’s no way to fit a centre speaker in there.

So, for stereo fellows, or those happy with whatever it sounds like as a single box, probably a good idea.

But, anyone on this forum who wants a tidy 100”+ picture is going to want the full 7.1.2 at least...

So despite the tidy ness of the thing, probably a non starter.
If you have an AT screen then this won’t be an issue or centre speaker can be mounted below. Not perfect but more than doable with great results.

where do you put ur centre speaker.

If you have an AT screen then this won’t be an issue or centre speaker can be mounted below. Not perfect but more than doable with great results.
AT screens are textured by
Centre speaker sits behind the projection screen.

What AT screen are you using ?

In the case of an AT screen, I presume that it would need to be a light controlled room.

AT screens are textured by

What AT screen are you using ?

In the case of an AT screen, I presume that it would need to be a light controlled room.
We use DT Screens, Screen Reseaech, Seymour, Grandview, Screen Innovations etc.

Vivid Storm, a Chinese firm, are offering a very cool solution for these UST PJs. Some are florr rising electric tensioned screen, so a very discreet solution for large screen fun.
So many are stressing about a centre speaker, but if you set the room up right, then the speaker sits in front of the PJ, or the AT screen as Rich suggests. to create a 100" screen in a normal house, this is a frickin' bargain, and they'll only get better. 12 months ago a similar PJ was £15k from Sony. Now we're at £3k. Sure, a top of the range Sony or JVC will smash this, but for a family room where the world continues around watching a movie, this is on my xmas list!

Yup have my centre speaker sitting in front of the projector, a slight PITA to get set up correctly but the 100 inch screen makes up for it! Even watching the England game via ITV's crappy HD was a great picture last night. Looking forward to seeing one of the matches on BT Sports (1080p 50fps). One thing I hope Optoma add is a BBC Iplayer app...that supports HLG...else I will be forced to get a Fire TV stick to add to the Apple TV 4k and Shield TV that are already connected.

What screens are you guys using?

Would a normal (existing Sapphire) fixed screen be ok,or does it have to be an ALR one?

We use DT Screens, Screen Reseaech, Seymour, Grandview, Screen Innovations etc.

Sorry, what I meant is that most AT screens are textured by way of their weave. Have you tried the AT surfaces by DT screens or Seymour with the UHZ65UST considering the light beam hits the surface from an acute angle ? Does this have any detrimental effect on image fidelity ?

Is anyone using this projector with a regular old white screen in a cinema room? If so, how's it performing?

The Optoma UHZ65UST will need a tensioned screen.
Even small ripples will show as huge deformation due to the sensitive image boundaries created by the short throw

Looking forward to seeing one of the matches on BT Sports (1080p 50fps). One thing I hope Optoma add is a BBC Iplayer app...that supports HLG...else I will be forced to get a Fire TV stick to add to the Apple TV 4k and Shield TV that are already connected.

Hi

How are you able to get BT sport onto the projector? Is a chromecast the only way?

Cheers

Steve

Can I ask some some dumb questions, the idea of one of these projectors is worming it’s way into my brain. UST would be only way I could ever have a projector and the only way I could go above 55inch screen size!

Is this projector really a replacement for a TV in a living room? I mean from a practical perspective, can it really cope with lamps being on during the evening or normal daylight during the day. My living room gets no direct sunlight and is quite shaded. I drawn the curtains when watching movies, but it’s far from dark (I could add some black out lining to the curtains but there would still be significant light bleed due to the type of curtains)

I’d be looking at a fixed wall mounted screen, which doesn’t need to be acoustically transparent. What sort of screen would I need - have no experience with screens so use laymen’s terms please.

Can I ask some some dumb questions, the idea of one of these projectors is worming it’s way into my brain. UST would be only way I could ever have a projector and the only way I could go above 55inch screen size!

Is this projector really a replacement for a TV in a living room? I mean from a practical perspective, can it really cope with lamps being on during the evening or normal daylight during the day. My living room gets no direct sunlight and is quite shaded. I drawn the curtains when watching movies, but it’s far from dark (I could add some black out lining to the curtains but there would still be significant light bleed due to the type of curtains)

I’d be looking at a fixed wall mounted screen, which doesn’t need to be acoustically transparent. What sort of screen would I need - have no experience with screens so use laymen’s terms please.

You will need an ALR screen (ambient light rejecting) like a Draper React for acceptable day-time performance. Having a very dim lamp on with an ALR screen is fine in my experience.

What size image are you trying to project? If its under <85 inches, you will definitely be better off getting a TV.

How big is the room? Why must you go short throw as opposed to a normal projector (superior placement options and better ALR screen options as some ALR's don't work with short throw)?

Your question is loaded with a lot of mis-directions and decisions not made.

For a projector you need to answer the following specifics:
1. Have room dimensions and calculate throw distances
2. Decide what size image you're trying to accomdate
3. Have the best possible light control (blinds)
4. Reduce ambient light in the room (white walls reflect light)
5. Decide on what screen you're going to use.
6. Use light fittings/lamps which doesn't directly expose the bulb
7. Have sound sorted. What is the sound situation? Ideally for a projector IMO you need a 5.1 setup for that cinematic sound to pair with a big image.
8. Have a budget which accomdates projector, wiring, screen, projector mount and sound

Also it would be helpful if you tell us the type of content you watch. For example, if you watch films with black bars, I'd say definitely go with a projector because the bigger the image, the better as the black bars take up a lot of screen real estate.

A projector, in the right conditions with the right screen, can replace a TV IMO but you have to accept a sacrifice to image quality (specifically black levels during the day). If you're projecting the right size image (85+ inches), its very easily palatable as it offers a far more immersive cinematic exerience; especially if you have a good sound system. A 65'' TV with my 5.1.2 just sounds strange ... mis matched compare to when I use it with a PJ.

Hi

How are you able to get BT sport onto the projector? Is a chromecast the only way?

Cheers

Steve

You could use Apple TV for example, but if you want to be able to see things in HDR then currently as far as I know chromecast is the only way.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom