NEWS: Optoma opens preorders for 4K UHZ65UST short throw projector with soundbar

Cartman4x

Sounds like a great idea, 4k projection and 3D from a box a few inches away? I'd certainly be interested as it means no ceiling mounting and running a long hdmi cable to the back of the room. Any reviews regarding the picture quality/calibration from the shows? How does the 3D mode work straight from the box or do you need an adapter like the JVC models? (are glasses supplied etc)

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We’ve spent some time with the UHZ75UST and it’s a great projector. We may well get one in on dem for the showroom.

DCEA4C6F-A95F-441B-A3C7-FCC0C2E1E0EA.jpeg
7AB3F095-A4EB-444C-9A1E-CC47484CEA2F.jpeg
F099CCDA-FA36-464B-B9A9-6FBF37F2C952.jpeg

Abacus

Interesting price as it undercuts the new JVC Laser DLP Projectors which require a much more involved set up. (They need conventional mounting)

Bill

HugoFJH

Im expecting this to be quite noisy....and hot....so not sure why they have onboard audio - just adding to the expense

Just the short throw pj for £2500 or so and I would be very interested

Bill

Are we getting a full review sometime soon? Possibly with a complimentary screen review that suits these short throw models? It would be of interest and greatly appreciated.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Im expecting this to be quite noisy....and hot....so not sure why they have onboard audio - just adding to the expense

Just the short throw pj for £2500 or so and I would be very interested
It didn’t appear to run hot and wasn’t noisy from our time spent with it.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What was the picture quality like? Any good during the day?
It was very good. An ambient light rejecting screen was used in a fairly bright environment. This will be a great solution for many.

Mallardo

Looks interesting but they need to do one without the on board soundbar. The on board sound may be attractive to many, but just as many will want to be setting up proper HD multichannel sound to complement the big picture, so they won't want to spend extra cash on something they will never use.

Topmetom 2

I too have no need for the soundbar. If the laser picture is as good as the epsons then it will be something very special. Ill need to look at throw calculator first as bake off at 120” may be a tad much for my eyes and ill end up like clockwork orange..

Mallardo

I too have no need for the soundbar. If the laser picture is as good as the epsons then it will be something very special. Ill need to look at throw calculator first as bake off at 120” may be a tad much for my eyes and ill end up like clockwork orange..
You'll never be able to eat Victoria sponge again.... 😂

Abacus

These projectors are not really designed for home cinema enthusiasts, they are more for those that want something that they can switch on and use straight away to replace their TVs, so the addition of a soundbar and smart features is logical. (You also may (We will have to wait for full details to emerge to be sure) be able to use the soundbar as a centre channel if you do go full home cinema)
Regarding the Epson UST, from reports i have seen of the various shows online, the Epson does not hold a candle to the Optoma. (As always try before you buy as everybody's perception is different)

Bill

Mallardo

These projectors are not really designed for home cinema enthusiasts, they are more for those that want something that they can switch on and use straight away to replace their TVs,
I agree, and there certainly may be a market for it, but if the picture performance is as good as claimed here then it makes it a desirable product for enthusiasts also.

(You also may (We will have to wait for full details to emerge to be sure) be able to use the soundbar as a centre channel if you do go full home cinema)
It doesn't look like you can add more speakers to the projector as it states DD 2.0, and I doubt it will have an input for a pre-out connection from a receiver (although I could be wrong) so I would think that the success of this product could rest on the quality of the speaker.

Last edited:

Bill

Any word on lag times for gaming ?

Cartman4x

Anyone know the dimensions of the unit? Anyone recommend a good screen for it? I like the idea of a projector screen that rises up from the floor & not coming down from the ceiling

Abacus

Anyone know the dimensions of the unit? Anyone recommend a good screen for it? I like the idea of a projector screen that rises up from the floor & not coming down from the ceiling
Details here UHZ65UST Ultra short throw smart laser 4K Ultra HD projector

For the screen have a word with a few dealers and explain what you need, they should then be able to point you in the right direction. (Getting the right screen for the projector and room is very important for best picture quality)

Bill

Cartman4x

Details here UHZ65UST Ultra short throw smart laser 4K Ultra HD projector

For the screen have a word with a few dealers and explain what you need, they should then be able to point you in the right direction. (Getting the right screen for the projector and room is very important for best picture quality)

Bill
Thanks Bill much appreciated
Size wise for me that would fit (W-576 x D-383 x H-130mm & weighs 11kg) so will now have a look at what screen options are available-cheers, If anyone knows a few dealers I could ask I would be very grateful

Abacus

Thanks Bill much appreciated
Size wise for me that would fit (W-576 x D-383 x H-130mm & weighs 11kg) so will now have a look at what screen options are available-cheers, If anyone knows a few dealers I could ask I would be very grateful
Just do a quick google search for Home Cinema Dealers in you area and you should find a good selection to choose from. (Use their experience (Particually the smaller dealerships) to reduce the chance of making a mistake, if they also stock the projector even better)

Bill

Paul7777x

I certainly love the idea.

It all comes down to the noise... I don’t suppose they are silent?

I’m happy to snip the speaker wires, as it were, if that helps.

It’s also hard to see how to get a centre speaker in there without interfering with the laser path.

dts77

Im looking forward to a proper review of this thing, might just stop me getting an 82Q70R

Being laser, does that mean that it wont suffer from the rainbow effect?

Bill

Oh dear :(

Paul7777x

The more I read the more I think it’s a one box does all job.

I’m sure the picture (calibrated) will be pretty good, but there’s no way to fit a centre speaker in there.

So, for stereo fellows, or those happy with whatever it sounds like as a single box, probably a good idea.

But, anyone on this forum who wants a tidy 100”+ picture is going to want the full 7.1.2 at least...

So despite the tidy ness of the thing, probably a non starter.

Sam Ash

It was very good. An ambient light rejecting screen was used in a fairly bright environment. This will be a great solution for many.
What is the sound like using the in-built sound-bar? Assuming one does not need surround sound, would it be advisable to invest in a decent dedicated standalone soundbar for decent sound ? I presume a good external media player would also be better than the one that has been incorporated into the projector. Your input will be appreciated.

Trending threads

Latest news

Disney+ hits 10 million subscribers after first 24 hours
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sharp unveils 30-inch rollable OLED TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
ATC launches C1 Sub Mk2 active subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Home AV Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards