NEWS: Optoma launches UHD35 and UHD38 gaming projectors

Captain Ron

Seems weird to me that they release these now billing them as gaming projectors when they don't even have HDMI2.1 capable of extracting the most from the latest gaming consoles.

MQJ

Are these the cheapest 4k compatible projectors right now?
No lens shift of course.

DrShrunk

Novice Member
38 is a bit brighter, 4000 lumens vs 3600, but I can't see any other differences.

I assume these are upgrades on the UHD30 and the 42, can anyone comment on that? They seem to be around the same price.

Rxbren

Standard Member
Seems they just abandoned the issues of the uhd30/42/50x with half and half screens, mixed colours and gaming mode not working in 4k properly

rustyk21

Seems weird to me that they release these now billing them as gaming projectors when they don't even have HDMI2.1 capable of extracting the most from the latest gaming consoles.

There's hardly any genuine 4k 120hz content outside of a high end gaming pc, plus these colour wheel projectors can't support VRR, so there's hardly any point in HDMI 2.1.
Plus, it's new, a bit of a mess and will add cost to the projectors. It's taken long enough to get HDMI 2.0, I know because I was waiting an eternity for [email protected] for frame sequential 3d.

rustyk21

So what’s the difference between the two?

That was my immediate thought too :)
I think like someone else said, it wil be similar to the current models. It's a pattern you see time and time again with projector releases.
They barely deliver incremental improvements half the time.

Seems they just abandoned the issues of the uhd30/42/50x with half and half screens, mixed colours and gaming mode not working in 4k properly
i think they didnt simply abandon the issues but continued them on these new projectors. I just hope for true 4k (not enhanced gaming mode that turns 4k off) with the reported 16ms. i could also live with 25ms, but i think it will be 30 or so.
Looking forwards to the reviews.

if the brightness is the only upgrade between the two, i wonder if the uhd35 isn't the better buy for longer lamp age. They claim the same age, but in reality probably use the same lamp.

rustyk21

i think they didnt simply abandon the issues but continued them on these new projectors. I just hope for true 4k (not enhanced gaming mode that turns 4k off) with the reported 16ms. i could also live with 25ms, but i think it will be 30 or so.
Looking forwards to the reviews.

They are limited by the capabilities of the TI hardware. Optoma have made marketing promises that the product can't match and rather than confront the issue it looks like they've hoped it will just silently go away.
That said, even downscaling a 4k image to 1080 will look significantly better than native 1080. But it's not the point.

rustyk21

if the brightness is the only upgrade between the two, i wonder if the uhd35 isn't the better buy for longer lamp age. They claim the same age, but in reality probably use the same lamp.

In my experience, in this segment the so called brightness differences are more due to colour wheel configuration than light source.

They are limited by the capabilities of the TI hardware. Optoma have made marketing promises that the product can't match and rather than confront the issue it looks like they've hoped it will just silently go away.
That said, even downscaling a 4k image to 1080 will look significantly better than native 1080. But it's not the point.
Well, the input lag is now smaller on all fronts it seems, so lets hope they can make it at least partial right this time. it would make it a very attractive ps5 or xbox series one projector, not to mention pc gamers who would like it.

In my experience, in this segment the so called brightness differences are more due to colour wheel configuration than light source.
So more green added to make it brighter? A bit silly but they make extra money on the claim of extra brightness while not lying about it either, haha.

rustyk21

Well, the input lag is now smaller on all fronts it seems, so lets hope they can make it at least partial right this time. it would make it a very attractive ps5 or xbox series one projector, not to mention pc gamers who would like it.

So more green added to make it brighter? A bit silly but they make extra money on the claim of extra brightness while not lying about it either, haha.

Yes to be fair they do seem to have bought it down again, but I think there was definitely a break down in comms between TI and Optoma's engineering and/or marketing department last time round.

As for point two, yep, the old colour accuracy v white lumens argument I suppose.

Over on AVSforums there was talk that TI were coming out with a lower latency solution and BenQ were going to produce something based on that, but I think they just bolted media player/android TV solutions onto their existing product range instead.

NeedSomeHelp

Novice Member
Need some help to cut through the jargon...

I'm building a home cinema - I was looking at a projector around £2k can someone tell me if these £1K projectors are good enough for a home cinema streaming movies and playing DVD and Blueray? It reads to me as they are very bright and very hi-def, so what would be the downside?

I think colour reproduction and black levels are the downside. Also they can be a bit loud.
loudness has not been a problem to me for the uhd300x.
Black levels are indeed mediocre but im not super bothered by it, since the picture is excellent.
How this projector will have improved we have to find out. I will do a test when i get mine, since i'm probably ordering one.
The uhd300x says it has a 250.000:1 contrast ratio while this one should have 1.000.000, a 4x improvement. I'm quite skeptical to be honest and think there's zero difference.

ReelNeil

Novice Member
im intrigued by this, I was going to buy the UHD50x but put off by the splitscreen issue, so was just about to buy the Epson TW7000
now Optoma could be back in the running's if these are any good

The english manuals are not available to download yet, but the dutch one worked.
Let's see if optoma stopped switching to 1080p in 4k enhanced gaming mode. But i doubt it.

EVVcsPm.png

Bill

It appears to have a good balance of 4k, low response and all at a very reasonable price... I'm sure a lot of people who are gamers / movie watchers will look forward to seeing the reviews.

i have purchased a UHD38. even though the color wheel probably makes it a bit more green for the extra brightness, it was cheaper then the UHD35. Maybe i get a mail later that the uhd38 will be cancelled because a wrong price...In that case i'l probably wait till it becomes cheaper as i have no hurry. But a lower then advertised price is interesting :)

I will fully review it and compare to my uhd300x!
(but lack the tools for a accurate input lag test etc)
ETA of delivery is upcoming wednesday.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett