NEWS: Optoma announce £1599 UHD40 4K HDR Compatible Projector

Are DLP tech units that can do WCG going to hit consumer space any time soon? The constant stream of REC709 units would say not...

Looks like it has the larger 0.67" chip rather than the smaller on previously mooted.

I just don’t get how they say it’s HDR yet it’s only rec709 and doesn’t do BT2020 which most UHD Blurays are I believe.....
Manufacturers like to cut corners for us consumers a lot these days.

I just don’t get how they say it’s HDR yet it’s only rec709 and doesn’t do BT2020 which most UHD Blurays are I believe.....
Manufacturers like to cut corners for us consumers a lot these days.
This isn't "cutting corners", it's a manufacturer providing solutions at a variety of price points. You can still buy your top end machinery if you have the desire and the wallet.

Would seem odd if this uses the 0.67" chip instead of the 0.47" that's in the other cheaper Optoma 4K ?, Where have you seen the info about the larger chip ?

There is also another one on the Optoma site. Seems identical . Like the UHD550x vs UHD60 version.

UHD300X True to life detail - 4K Ultra HD projector
UHD40 True to life detail - 4K Ultra HD projector
I was on the main Optima 4K webpage, where it states that it uses a .67" chip and lists the various UHD models (40 and 300x included). There is no explicit mention of the smaller chip though. Where do you see that?

I don't think they're cutting corners. I think there is something about colour wheel DLP which makes it unable to do WCG. Unless I'm mistaken there aren't any WCG colour wheel DLP units yet?

I don't think they're cutting corners. I think there is something about colour wheel DLP which makes it unable to do WCG. Unless I'm mistaken there aren't any WCG colour wheel DLP units yet?
Yeah its rather dissapointing the lack of WCG, the lack of 3D on the higher end 4K DLP also annoys me losing functionality and maybe 15% Of my film viewing.

1st result on googling "wcg color wheel"

briefly mention WCG and DLP but its a rather old article.

WCG Standards Needed for Multi-Primary Displays

I have a UHD550x sat unopened in my living room that was delivered Monday. If this uhd40 really is a 0.67" chip, then the 550 is going back in favour of this UHD40 which is clearly it's newer replacement. But if it is 0.47" chip I think I'll keep the 550.

I have a UHD550x sat unopened in my living room that was delivered Monday. If this uhd40 really is a 0.67" chip, then the 550 is going back in favour of this UHD40 which is clearly it's newer replacement. But if it is 0.47" chip I think I'll keep the 550.

Why ? I thought the rationale behind the .47" was that it was a 1920x1080 chip which eshifts for want of a better term 3 times so that it's actually generating the correct number of pixels for UHD rather than the .67" chip which only eshifts once but has more pixels to begin with. I've yet to see a review to say which approach yields the better image.

The UHD40 falls well short of the UHD60 in both light output and flexibility, (It is smaller though) so stick with your UHD60, which at the rice you paid is one of the best deals I have seen. (Where did you get this deal from?, best I have seen is £1999 which is still cracking for those that want to get into 4K)

Compare the specs on the Optoma website and you will soon see the cuts that have been made to get the UHD40 down to a price.

The only time I have seen the 0.47 chip mentioned is with the new entry level Benq 4K DLP projectors,

Bill

Guys, all this talk about the size of chip is kinda missing the greater point. I calibrated an HD65 recently - which is nearly twice the price of this UHD40 - and I have to say it was shockingly bad. HDR? Forget it. With such poor black levels and contrast it has almost no dynamic range to speak of and it could barely achieve Rec709 in its 'HDR' mode because the raised light output washed out the colours. The Epson TW7300 is a much better projector than any of these Optomas; if you can stretch to the TW9300 you will be rewarded with a phenomenal picture for both SDR and HDR.

Ok, so I contacted Optoma and they responded (very quickly!) that the 40 and 300x are both on the 0.47" chip.

Ok, so I contacted Optoma and they responded (very quickly!) that the 40 and 300x are both on the 0.47" chip.

Did they say how many discrete images are shown on screen (One after the other), as if it’s just 2, (Like the units with the 0.66 chip) then it will be the same resolution as JVCs E-Shift (4.15 million pixels) which also uses 1080P Panels? (Although I would still take the JVC over 4K DLP (0.66 chip) and Epson 4K Enhanced, as it gives a more complete picture, (Personal opinion) I just wish they weren’t so expensive)

Bill

Guys, all this talk about the size of chip is kinda missing the greater point. I calibrated an HD65 recently - which is nearly twice the price of this UHD40 - and I have to say it was shockingly bad. HDR? Forget it. With such poor black levels and contrast it has almost no dynamic range to speak of and it could barely achieve Rec709 in its 'HDR' mode because the raised light output washed out the colours. The Epson TW7300 is a much better projector than any of these Optomas; if you can stretch to the TW9300 you will be rewarded with a phenomenal picture for both SDR and HDR.

Personal choice, but for me I find the Epson’s do not look like 4K (Even at normal viewing distance) and when put side by side with both the 4K DLP and JVC projectors all the fine details are totally missing on the Epson, (Haven’t seen the laser version though) but they do WCG and passable HDR, which combined with convenience features means they are a viable option, but not for everybody.

Bill

Personal choice, but for me I find the Epson’s do not look like 4K (Even at normal viewing distance) and when put side by side with both the 4K DLP and JVC projectors all the fine details are totally missing on the Epson, (Haven’t seen the laser version though) but they do WCG and passable HDR, which combined with convenience features means they are a viable option, but not for everybody.

Bill

Of course it's personal choice, but having calibrated these UHD Optomas I would say that they are really poor projectors, 4k or not (and of course they aren't true 4k panels themselves). Btw, I've had a native 4k Sony VW520 and JVC X7000 side by side (both calibrated) and while the former did in fact look more detailed it was only marginal. The biggest and most impressive difference was in the black level and contrast and (in HDR colours due to WCG). Speaking as a calibrator I have to say that the leap in resolution perception from HD to UHD is nowhere near as visible as SD to HD and nowhere near as important as black, level, colour and contrast.

Well I have been wanting a projector for what seems like forever but brexit put the brakes on it for me because the prices in uk are so bloated at the moment im waiting untill its over unless something happens and prices fall in line with usa or at least nearly

Yeah, prices do seem higher than usual at the moment. Sadly 'usual' has often been the same numbers on the price tag, just in pounds rather than dollars!

Ordered an Optoma UHD300x from Amazon.de yesterday. Seemed a bargain at £970. Looks almost identical to the UHD40, albeit with lower contrast and brightness on the spec sheet. Will report back with impressions. It's replacing my Benq w1070.

I have a uhd300x and the image has a very noticeable light border on all four sides. I find it quite distracting, but not sure if it’s expected with the new .47 chip set.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom