NEWS: OnePlus launches Series 9 phones

Are they to get two or three major android upgrades?

Another day, another OnePlus phone. I'm still using a OnePlus 5, my wife a OnePlus 7. Neither of us see a convincing reason to upgrade to OnePlus's latest model while the phones we own already do everything we need.

Also a new phone release used to mean something, now there seems to be one every 6 months, the only point of which tbh seems to be to edge up the baseline price. What used to be a £300-400 phone is now a £600-700.

Another day, another OnePlus phone. I'm still using a OnePlus 5, my wife a OnePlus 7. Neither of us see a convincing reason to upgrade to OnePlus's latest model while the phones we own already do everything we need.

Also a new phone release used to mean something, now there seems to be one every 6 months, the only point of which tbh seems to be to edge up the baseline price. What used to be a £300-400 phone is now a £600-700.
Yeah, unfortunately it looks like OnePlus have increased the cost since the 6/6T and added the Nord for that price range.
I have a 6T, it's a great phone but I won't be buying any of the newer models, too expensive for my needs.

Oneplus 1 owner hear, think its time to upgrade.
Do you have an "old" model? Do you know how many major android updates Oneplus gives?

The phone looks decent enough but I hope they will match Samsung's 3 major updates.

Do you have an "old" model? Do you know how many major android updates Oneplus gives?

The phone looks decent enough but I hope they will match Samsung's 3 major updates.
Have the first one, released in 2014. Last update was 12/2016.

Iys in Android 6.0.1 and it uses it own Oxygen firmware. Still works OK apart from the battery that only last around 10 hours now.
That's a really good run!

A friend of mine had the same phone until last year, the reduction in battery capacity over time convinced him to upgrade. Your phone is a case in point as the Oneplus 1 is an old phone and spec wise it's well behind now, but the fact is these old phones CAN still run most apps and services, particularly as OnePlus over-specified them with RAM and storage to begin with.

The new 6 month release schedule annoys me; it's like they're in a constant rush to make owners feel they're phone has reached obsolescence, when we should all be encouraged to get the full service life out of any equipment we buy these days.

I used to own a OnePlus 3T, which I absolutely loved. I do still quite like the brand, from what I've seen in reviews anyway (I've since gone back to Sony Xperia), but in a time when the camera seems to be the main differentiator between a good phone and a great phone, I think OnePlus still has some way to go to compete with the Samsung and Apple flagships at that price point.

The new mist grey colour they have going on at the moment looks amazing though, even if it is a finger print magnet.

It will get 2 years Android updates (to android 13) and 3 years security updates.
That was my fear. They should follow suit and match Samsung's or Sony's.

It will get 2 years Android updates (to android 13) and 3 years security updates.
That's interesting, as my Oneplus 5 is still being updated, 3.5 years after purchasing it (It's currently on Android 10, and Oxygen 10.0.1) - this is well in excess of 2 years updates.

That was my fear. They should follow suit and match Samsung's or Sony's.

That's interesting, as my Oneplus 5 is still being updated, 3.5 years after purchasing it (It's currently on Android 10, and Oxygen 10.0.1) - this is well in excess of 2 years updates.

I agree, if OnePlus are charging Apple/Samsung flagship prices they should offer similar levels of software support. Maybe they will support the phone for much longer, but the official promise is 2 years OS and 3 years security updates. I read they had technical troubles upgrading the OnePlus 7 to Android 11, maybe they don't like to commit to more when Google could make changes in the future that are difficult/expensive to support.

I guess the upper mid-market is getting crowded so they are trying to rebrand as a premium offering, but I'm a bit doubtful how successful they can be without Apple/Samsung/Sony marketing and infrastructure and levels of hardware/software service.

I'm undecided whether to upgrade, I think I will wait until the Mi 11 Pro/Ultra are announced next week and see how they compare.

I agree, if OnePlus are charging Apple/Samsung flagship prices they should offer similar levels of software support. Maybe they will support the phone for much longer, but the official promise is 2 years OS and 3 years security updates. I read they had technical troubles upgrading the OnePlus 7 to Android 11, maybe they don't like to commit to more when Google could make changes in the future that are difficult/expensive to support.

I guess the upper mid-market is getting crowded so they are trying to rebrand as a premium offering, but I'm a bit doubtful how successful they can be without Apple/Samsung/Sony marketing and infrastructure and levels of hardware/software service.

I'm undecided whether to upgrade, I think I will wait until the Mi 11 Pro/Ultra are announced next week and see how they compare.
By all accounts this is a good phone, but it is getting harder to see what is the angle of OnePlus. Prices are pretty much equivalent with the competition. Their pricing was always very aggressive and that gave them the edge.

IMO, what really makes a phone obsolete, it is the version of android that it runs. I do not see why flagship phones running android 5 could not run android 11. Many of those phones have superior specs than today's mid-range phones. Needless to say that many ROM are produced and they run perfectly fine on them.

I am in the market for a new phone but I have not seen anything that really gets me excited about it.

Samsung keeps giving us the exynos chip and charging more, Sony Xperia 1 III might be great but I am not convinced with screen ratio. I cannot see myself watching movies on my phone.

Huawei, Xiaomi, OnePlus are good but I fear how well they will support their devices.

One idea that I have toyed with, it is getting a cheap 5G to replace it next year but I dislike that.

I used to have the oneplus 3t which I loved. I loved the fact you could control music (pause, play, skip etc) with swipe gestures on the screen even if it was locked.

I moved away due to the camera being below par. I chose an honour 20 pro and the camera is beyond fantastic. I do not think i will ever purchase a "flagship" phone again. My next phone will be exactly the same phone I have if this one ever breaks.

Which reviews should I trust on the pro's cameras capabilities? They are so mixed, I find it difficult to make a judgement. I was completely taken in by the marketing spill, particularly on the main and wide angle lenses. After reading all of the initial reviews, I am left bewildered. The oppo x3 find pro seems to have a very similar camera set up but with better image quality?

Its always tempting to buy new "just released" phones, i would wait a few months for the dust to settle

Oneplus 1 owner hear, think its time to upgrade.
So, did you finally upgrade your phone? Seems like you were about to stay loyal to OnePlus, could you explain why? What do you value the most in this brand?

So, did you finally upgrade your phone? Seems like you were about to stay loyal to OnePlus, could you explain why? What do you value the most in this brand?
Still got it but its in its last legs. Going to check out the Samsung fold 3 when it comes out soon.

I used to be a loyal oneplus owner but in the end I just got fed up with the sub par camera. I jumped over to honor (currently honor v30, previously owneed honor 20 pro) and extremely glad I did. The quality of photos is excellent compared to oneplus and the sizing of the phone is just perfect. I picked up the phone dirt cheap on ebay.

The only thing I miss about the one plus was the gestures you could perform on the lock screen to control music which I think have been stopped anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom