News on small (32") full HD / 1080 LCD TVs with Freeview & a DVI input?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ssteward, Apr 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ssteward

ssteward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

At the risk of getting flamed for not searching first, I have a question (trust me, I've spent hours googling this one and reading this forum).

Q: I wonder if anyone knows of any 32" full HD 1080p TVs that are due for the UK market?

I want something that is a TV, that's under 32" and that'll give me a good desktop resolution on my Mac Mini via DVI. The Mini is running MythTV but we use if for web/music/photos too, so 1920x1080 would be fantastic. I can't face running 1366x768, and getting good one-to-one pixel mapping via VGA isn't easy with the Mini. I know, I know, lots of you will say there's no point in a full HD panel this size but it's only for the computer desktop. I'm only going to watch SD TV anyway.

I've seen various Sharp models that are out in Japan (LC-32GS20 and LC-32GS10) and the US (LC-32D62U and LC-32GP1U) with DVI but I can't find any news of any due in the UK that'll have a DVB tuner.

I'm on the cusp of giving in and buying one of the 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitors that have lots of video inputs, e.g., the ones from Dell/BenQ/Samsung. But this means an external Freeview box, no remote control for switching sources and no integrated speakers. And, I'm sure that as soon as I buy one I'll see the TV I want is out in the UK.

Any info on when I can buy a small 1080 TV in the UK would be greatly appreciated.

-S

2. XeNoN89

XeNoN89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the models out in Japan and US, havnt seen any news of plans to release here though (although im sure there will be some released here soon enough, it would be perfect for me aswell)

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Hi SSteward

Are you aware that HDMI is the successor to DVI, and that you can buy a DVI to HDMI cable that will fulfill the same requirement as a dedicated DVI input?

That solves the input problem, as for a 1920x1080p 32" LCD: there aren't many yet but I THINK Samsung are bringing one to the UK soon. That could have been a typo on their web page, however...

4. ssteward

ssteward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm aware that you can get HDMI<>DVI cables, and that in many ways HDMI is a super-set of DVI. But I've also read lots of people having issues with overscanning when using an HDMI interface with a PC, which I understand is down to the DCC info that the HDMI interface gives out.

Btw, you don't happen to know the Samsung model number do you?

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Well, one of the video signals that HDMI can carry is identical to DVI. The fact that some TVs overscan the HDMI input is down to the intended use (video vs computing). However, just about every 1920x1080 TV I know of has an option to disable overscan via HDMI. It's becoming a standard feature, thankfully.

I don't know the model number :thumbsdow

6. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
  7. Hubba-EX

Hubba-EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    IMO, the only reason they have not been released is because they want us to fork out for a 720p now, and then in a years time for us to grab a 1080p.

8. ssteward

ssteward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
  10. ssteward

ssteward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Lyris, I didn't realise that. Could mean it'll be here soon. Let's hope so.

-S