Quantcast

NEWS: Odeon Cinemas closed until further notice

EUarmy

I had intended to go to the cinema today probably for the last time until the present crisis is over, now my only other choice is Vue. Normally I go in the afternoon on a weekday so not too many watching anyway.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Cineworld also doing the same.

Slinkywizard

As the owner – like many of you – of a small private cinema, my smugness needle has just jolted from 9.0 to 9.8.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
For years people have ridiculed my hobby, but now my home cinema and I get the last laugh!

IronSoldier

Oh however will I have seen all the blockbusters that weren't being delayed at all :smashin:

Might just need to buy myself a spare bulb!

Purperen

There's going to be a dearth of new films to watch at home in 3-6 months time. I hope the studios start increasing the amount of catalogue titles they put out on 4k UHD.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Don’t like the idea here if being smug at the possibility of lots of folk losing their livelihoods.
Let’s enjoy our hobbies yes but at the same time be nice about it.
And if nobody can work, who’s gonna press all those new films on discs? Or upload them to the server...?

norliss

For years people have ridiculed my hobby, but now my home cinema and I get the last laugh!
Hopefully you're not laughing too much, Steve. If any of those people are on zero hours contracts (already earning peanuts) they could well be out of pocket and in a bad place.

norliss

As the owner – like many of you – of a small private cinema, my smugness needle has just jolted from 9.0 to 9.8.
Hopefully you're not working in a job/ industry where your bottom line will be affected by this virus, else your smugness needle might shoot back down from 9.8 to 1.8.

Slinkywizard

Don’t like the idea here if being smug at the possibility of lots of folk losing their livelihoods.
Let’s enjoy our hobbies yes but at the same time be nice about it.
And if nobody can work, who’s gonna press all those new films on discs? Or upload them to the server...?
No one, including myself, said they felt smug about people losing their jobs, suffering hardship or anything else of the kind.

It was a harmless crack about having a home cinema. And let's be honest, good humour is what is required at times like this.

If someone says something like 'I'm glad I just had my roof fixed, what with all these storms recently' it's simply incorrect to imply that person is dismissing the dire consequences affected upon those who were flooded out of their homes. It's a silly, unfounded accusation that's 100% untrue.

Slinkywizard

But it’s not good humour...
Because you're applying it to something the comment didn't apply to. You make it so. You misrepresented the comment and are now continuing to argue the comment is unsavoury based on your own misrepresentation.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Because you're applying it to something the comment didn't apply to. You make it so. You misrepresented the comment and are now continuing to argue the comment is unsavoury based on your own misrepresentation.
You’ve used the word “smugness” in reply to a thread about entire cinema chains closing to help prevent the spread of a virus that’s killing people.
On what planet is that “humour”

Slinkywizard

You’ve used the word “smugness” in reply to a thread about entire cinema chains closing to help prevent the spread of a virus that’s killing people.
On what planet is that “humour”
You’re insinuating I was making a joke about feeling smug that people are suffering. That is a flat out fabrication. It was a comment about having one’s own cinema when commercial cinemas are unavailable.

But you know that. You’re just looking for something to be outraged by so you’re making things up that were neither said nor implied. And now you’re in too deep to reverse gear or apologise. So here we are.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Thanks everyone.
We'll probably leave it there for now.

Tensions are understandably high all round.

Maybe I should recommend a couple of weeks of self isolation.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Hopefully you're not laughing too much, Steve. If any of those people are on zero hours contracts (already earning peanuts) they could well be out of pocket and in a bad place.
You're right, I'm not laughing at people losing their jobs. It was more a general observation about home cinema as a hobby coming in handy when you're stuck in for a prolonged period of time.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
On a serious note, the impact of this pandemic could have a permanent affect on the cinema business as studios move to streaming more content over the course of this crisis.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
As with any decisions made by the studios and distributors, there's going to be a decision made that's informed by the profits of the movies released direct to streaming.
If they get a decent return, it could set a precedent that might be a death knell to the screening industry as we currently know it.

richp007

Distinguished Member
On a serious note, the impact of this pandemic could have a permanent affect on the cinema business as studios move to streaming more content over the course of this crisis.
I think it's very important studios don't move to streaming releases, as when the cinema's return they're going to need a lot of help.

If all the major content is seen by people at home, when the cinema's reopen they won't have the big summer delayed releases to draw people in.

I've said this in a few different threads, but it's quite concerning to me hearing talk of any potential streaming deal happening.