NEWS: Odeon cinemas ban Universal's movies

Odeons loss, stupid decision IMO.

I'm sure NBCUniversal will come to some sort of agreement with AMC in time.
It would be ever so short sighted not to.
All it would take is for one more chain to act in a similar way and the studio would be in trouble. That's not unfeasible, either; cinemas hate streaming.

AMC is a big chain and, as things stand, NBCU still need the box office to get returns on their movies.
$100m (being the estimated take from some pretty vague figures) might be a record beating figure but, for one, they've not yet turned a profit, and also, from a near captive audience of families who suddenly have to worry about finding a way to fill every hour of the day in order to keep the children busy, it's not exactly a home run.

if you are a family of 5, going to the cinema, by the time you have purchased tickets, drinks popcorn etc , for that same cost you could subscribe to Netflix for 12 months, the cinema has its place but its starting to become one hell of a luxury.

Last edited:
I don't blame them. Whether or not you are a fan of streaming for a studio to effectively pull the rug from under cinema theatres established business model is dangerous. They have already had to close, and with new releases the fact that the content is not available elsewhere draws the crowds. I suspect however this was a badly time phase and that the cinemas would like some consultation before any rule changes.

I've not been to the cinema in years, would rather watch in the comfort of my own home but i do that on the understanding i'll have to wait to see the newest releases as the cinemas get their bite first.

I would have thought that simultaneous release would additionally hurt cinemas as this give pirates a change to distribute high quality content instead of some shaky camcorder malarky.

They'll never make the money back on price they are currently charging for these VOD premiers. Would need to be at most £10 before it gained traction I would have thought.

Cineworld (Regal in US) now weighed in on this - not going as far as AMC/Odeon blanket ban on Universal releases , but saying (and I guess this will apply to all studios not only Universal).

"Today we make it clear again that we will not be showing movies that fail to respect the windows as it does not make any economic sense for us."

Im sure this will all be resolved as can't see Odeon not playing Bond in Nov.

Disney seem to escaped any comment after Onward hit its steraming service 30 days after release (Not quite the same I know).

if you are a family of 5, going to the cinema, buy the time you have purchased tickets, drinks popcorn etc , for that same cost you could subscribe to Netflix for 12 months, the cinema has its place but its starting to become one hell of a luxury.

It really depends. My family would rather not watch a big blockbuster on a tiny TV with tinny speakers, so go to the cinema.

I’ve got no sympathy for cinemas at all they charge a lot
The streaming at home prices were ~£16

So would you rather pay £16 to rent the film to watch on your TV at home or pay anything from £5-£30 (your choice) to watch it on a massive screen at the cinema?
I’d choose the cinema.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Adapt and survive.. or even Thrive.
Odeon well we will see.
I never went there before due to poor screens/seating and this just makes me want visit less.

I love the cinema. I was going twice a week. But I also love film and TV. Surely availability much like the premier league are now realising is best for the content... Imagine if a few years ago Odeon thought lets setup a combo cinema/at home experience. Sure they'd have loved this lock down and idea of Universal changing.

So would you rather pay £16 to rent the film to watch on your TV at home or pay anything from £5-£30 (your choice) to watch it on a massive screen at the cinema?
I’d choose the cinema.

Depends on the quality of the cinema and your home experience I guess lol

Depends on the quality of the cinema and your home experience I guess lol
Well I certainly would not have wanted my first experience of watching IW/Endgame to have been at home, rather than at the cinema.
Just wouldn’t have been the same experience.

It really depends. My family would rather not watch a big blockbuster on a tiny TV with tinny speakers, so go to the cinema.
Phew thank God I don't have a tinny tv and speakers.

I’d choose the cinema.
At home far better

For £16?
I’d feel ripped off if charged that much to rent that for home. Not feel so much to watch it at the cinema though.
Just pay the £16 and invite your neighbours around to watch it.

#Bekind and leave the window open and they can hear it as well :D

Our nearest cinema only opened last year and is actually reasonably priced for tickets & snacks. For blockbuster type films the cinema is the place to first see them.

Interesting. Despite loving movies I hate going to the cinema. Far, far too expensive, uncomfortable seats, lots of noisy people with smelly food and phones they can't stop fiddling with. Plus most cinema screens look terrible anyway, my OLED looks vastly superior.

Cinemas will lose this battle. They had their chance and they blew it.

I have a great setup in my home but I still love going to the cinema for big releases. Although AMC are being a little too hasty here imo.
My local cinema has pretty good image and sound which keeps me coming back for big releases, Mark Kermode also does movie nights there so think they pride themselves on good image/sound and overall atmosphere.

Last edited:
Interesting. Despite loving movies I hate going to the cinema. Far, far too expensive, uncomfortable seats, lots of noisy people with smelly food and phones they can't stop fiddling with. Plus most cinema screens look terrible anyway, my OLED looks vastly superior.

Cinemas will lose this battle. They had their chance and they blew it.
I second that!

I have a great setup in my home but I still love going to the cinema for big releases. Although AMC are being a little too hasty here imo.
It’s worked for the cinema chains before.

At the end of the day, Universal will miss out on a lot of revenue if they just released big tent pole movies like Fast & Furious 9 & No time to Die straight to streaming, as essentially they miss out on the double dipping (cinema then selling DVD/BD/digital).

It might be fine as a business model for smaller releases, but not on their biggest films, otherwise ‘straight to video’ wouldn’t have the rep it does.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom