NEWS: NOW TV Boost adds Full HD and 5.1 audio

@BigTelHols: did you talk to NowTV about the audio loss?

Clem
No mate, haven't tried contacting them. When I noticed the issue I Googled it and a few results came up, I just used my stick. I got an app update on my phone for Nowtv yesterday I was hoping the PS4 would update but nothing yet.

I have contacted them through twitter and have been told that my account may have been locked and to use live chat to resolve the issue, only problem is live chat is down.

No other way to contact anybody at NowTV as far as I can tell :confused:

No, I found that. It's absolutely hopeless. I would like to junk NowTV, it's the only service that I've had real issues with. Unfortunately, we're half way through a couple of series, and the next series of Greys Anatomy is mooted next month, which SWMBO wants to see. Only a company like Sky could try and run a business (and seemingly, get away with it) by providing a service without any means to allow its customers to get in contact with it when problems arise. The live chat service is run from India, which is currently going through a lockdown I believe due to the coronavirus outbreak, and, understandably, supporting a TV service thousands of miles away is low priority. Sky has been caught with its trousers down by offshoring its support (Virgin Media is another company, and I have VM broadband) but is obviously not doing anything to support its UK customer base. If you can't contact them in the next couple of days all you can do is put the linked credit card charges in dispute. Whoa betide any of us who need to contact NowTV in the coming days and weeks ...

Clem

I'm finding Dolby 5.1 movies on NOW TV Boost sounding really nice and dynamic, from NOW TV boxes and a Youview box.

Can't say i'm that impressed with Amazon and Netflix in comparison.

@mij: I kept the emails relating to a recent issue that I had with audio quality on the TV series Ray Donovan on NowTV. Turns-out it was a source problem, even though NowTV denied it and had me dancing through hoops just to prove beyond doubt what I already knew. Anyway, you could try this email address: [email protected] .

Alternatively, go to the NowTV community pages and post something about your issue. Someone might be able to help. If you're lucky, and you subscribe to your message thread, you'll get emails from [email protected] if anyone can help.

Good luck!

Clem

@mij: I kept the emails relating to a recent issue that I had with audio quality on the TV series Ray Donovan on NowTV. Turns-out it was a source problem, even though NowTV denied it and had me dancing through hoops just to prove beyond doubt what I already knew. Anyway, you could try this email address: [email protected] .

Alternatively, go to the NowTV community pages and post something about your issue. Someone might be able to help. If you're lucky, and you subscribe to your message thread, you'll get emails from [email protected] if anyone can help.

Good luck!

Clem
Thanks Clem, I tried both of them email addresses and they both bounced back...I have sent twitter messages and have had no replies apart from once telling me try their online chat which is not working, and I cannot post on the community forum as my account has been locked, so I cannot login there either.

It is crazy, no telephone contact, no direct email contact, and because they have locked my account I cannot use any of their online help.

Create a new account and start afresh. You don’t need to sign-up to any passes when you create the account, but you do have to enter cc details. That will give you access to the community so that you can post about your problems.

Clem

Create a new account and start afresh. You don’t need to sign-up to any passes when you create the account, but you do have to enter cc details. That will give you access to the community so that you can post about your problems.

Clem
Thanks, I have done that yesterday and have had no response, I have also sent off a complaint via that site as well, but again nothing.

I know things are bad at the moment, but I still cannot accept this. They have locked my account a few times over the years and have never explained to me why, other than to say unusual behaviour on the account.

They are a ridiculously hard company to contact in normal times, but this is a whole new level of bad.

Are they throttling NowTV Boost. Watching new Sky comedy “The Breeders” and it looks rubbish

Just checked - looks OK when the app gets up to 7830 after the usual several seconds start at a lower res.

They're probably not really set up for throttling as they only have three bit-rates 1M for SD, 4830 for 720p, and 7830 for HD boost. The other companies probably have more levels e.g. down to 256K audio and 1440p video being called 4K so they can claim we're still getting the service we've paid for.

I was getting buffering and low res on Disney+ tonight though.

Picture/audio as normal here watching the Syfy channel. I have had a bit of buffering tonight but not sure if that's just my home network.

Westworld Series 3 doesn’t have movie black bars via NowTV. Is this the same via Sky Satellite?

Westworld Series 3 doesn’t have movie black bars via NowTV. Is this the same via Sky Satellite?

As far as I am aware it's a creative decision - the aspect ratio changes when certain characters are in a specific kind of environment.

I still can't believe that we need to pay extra for 1080 and 5.1 it just feels pathetic and behind every other service and it's not cheap either. For £12 (thanks 494930) you get 4k HDR on Netflix and 5.1, prime is £7 one again 4 HDR but now TV if you want movies and shows is £20 a month, it's just absurd but we still buy it even thought they are only proving below minimum standard service.

So it seems there is no easy to way to check on LG webos TV if you're getting the full 5.1?

Last edited:
Sky has rights to more movies and the latest.

Your decoder/receiver should tell you if the movie is 5.1, as not all are. Star Wars IV for example.

I think it sounds better than Netflix and Amazon too.

Picture is HD from the start for me. Not seen any picture pixelation yet.

What is the audio spec of Now TV movies anyway?

Last edited:
Via my LG TV I see a full 5.1 indicator light up on my soundbar and if I touch the remote so thst I can see the playback controls I see the number 7839 (or something similar) in the top RH corner of the screen from the NowTV app. Without the HD Boost pack the value is 4832, or thereabouts. I see a few seconds of rubbish picture quality as a stream starts, but the picture then locks to HD. On my NowTV box there’s so picture quality issues when a stream starts, but there’s no way to see what the stream values are on screen.

The LG app. offers 25fs, but via the NowTV box it’s 50fs, so that might be the better option for sports.

Clem

I still can't believe that we need to pay extra for 1080 and 5.1 it just feels pathetic and behind every other service
Ahem
Screenshot_20200414_120801_com.android.chrome.jpg

I'm now almost 90% sure that the 720p they were giving us before was actually upscaled SD rather than downscaled HD. The 1080p quality is far far better, and the 50fps on the 2 'main' sports channels is just glorious. It's almost as good as the BT Sport app 1080p 50fps. 😁
Do you get 5.1 surround on the sports? If I want 50fps on my LG TV can I buy a nowtv stick and get it that way or will it still not work?

I have a NowTV box connected to my LG TV, as the app. does odd things from time to time. On the Entertainment Pass + Boost I get DD5.1 audio from the box and app., but only the app. shows the streaming rate. Where the box wins is when starting streams, which are fine from the start, but in the LG app. the first few seconds are always fuzzy, a common issue, from what I can make out. I route the NowTV box via HDMI into the LG TV and use the TV’s ARC connection into my a/v kit. I think that in spite of the lower frame rate, the picture on the LG app. is better, but if you want to watch sports then an external box is your friend.

Clem

I have the Boost pack and use a Roku stick. In addition can also Cast to my Android TV from my iPad -NowTV App. Does anyone know when Casting is it 1080p?

I have the Boost pack and use a Roku stick. In addition can also Cast to my Android TV from my iPad -NowTV App. Does anyone know when Casting is it 1080p?
According to Google, Boost isn't supported when Casting, however I just watched the same clip through an LG TV app and Chromecast Ultra and the difference was so small I'm not entirely sure it's really there.

According to Google, Boost isn't supported when Casting, however I just watched the same clip through an LG TV app and Chromecast Ultra and the difference was so small I'm not entirely sure it's really there.
It is strange, but the Cast looks less noisy to me.

If anyone has received an email from Sky regarding 3 months @ £20 per month for Sky Sports that doesn’t want it I’d take that off your hands.

I’ve put a post up about it in the classifieds as well.

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom