NEWS: NOW TV Boost adds Full HD and 5.1 audio

No the appletv does not support HD boost its not been updated for 4 years. Only a few selected devices support HD boost. Gonna have to wait until nowtv decide to launch the new app and my guess is between July and august.

My guess is it will not be updated until TVOS update in September and then a further delay following testing. So December 2020/Jan 2021.

Best to get the Stick which has good offers with it. My £23 stick had 3months entertainment on it so paid for itself.

NowTV is not showing FOX channel’s “War of the Worlds” in HD. I tried watching it and can see an obvious compromise in image quality. Looks bad.

It was the same for Walking Dead - must be a Fox thing. Luckily Westworld S3 starts soon.

Was thinking of subscribing to this as I am watching NOW TV on my LG. But with the recent capping of bit rates for streaming is this any different to standard NOW TV? That is are you still get 5.1 1080p instead of 720p stereo?

thanks - started free trial - should be easy enough to check westworld is in 5.1. Being an LG app not so easy to check bit rate. Unfortunately NOW TV Boost not supported on ATV 4K where it would be really easy for me for to use the HUD and check the video/sound bit rates - George

The bit-rate is the stream quality easily brought up in all the NowTV apps - info button not required. It'll be 7830 or so but some older CYE seasons for example are clearly still SD/720 but at the 7830 of boost.Basically they are using Constant Bit Rate rather than the (very variable at the moment) VBR of others.

To get 5.1 (DD+ over ARC) on the LG app you need to go into account settings on the app - its well hidden. The audio isnt great - quite low volume over ARC - but the PQ on Cinema is fine for HD. The £3 fixed price for boost makes more sense if you have two passes.

Last edited:
The bit-rate is the stream quality easily brought up in all the NowTV apps
Don't suppose you know how to get the stream quality to the show on the NowTV smart box?

Sorry I only know if you bring up the overlay with fwd/rev/pause, subtitles on.off, etc then the stream quality is shown too, but it's going to be around 1850 SD, 4830 720p, and 7830 HD, unless NowTv plan to drop bandwidth like the others have,

Sorry I only know if you bring up the overlay with fwd/rev/pause, subtitles on.off, etc then the stream quality is shown too, but it's going to be around 1850 SD, 4830 720p, and 7830 HD, unless NowTv plan to drop bandwidth like the others have,
It's like that on my LG TV but the Smart Box doesn't show the bit rate when pausing unfortunately. Was just curious if the smart box was receiving the "full" bitrate is all.

An actual NowTV box is the one thing most likely to implement all of Boost - like 50fps sport - but the LG Tv app is OK for ents and cinema - the PQ seems fine to me.

My NowTV has stopped working and I cannot sign into my account, I constantly get this message: "Unable to connect to sign in, please try again later"

I have tried everything and have gone around in circles several times trying to find a way to contact them with no joy, does anybody here know how to contact them via email?

Live chat is normally a good option but on the page NOW TV - Get in touch it says
Live Chat for TV issues is unavailable
Updated 18 hours ago

Live Chat for TV issues is currently unavailable due to government-imposed travel restrictions. In the meantime, you might be able to find the help you need in our Help Centre or Community, or by logging in to My Account. We’re sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding in these unprecedented circumstances.

You dont specify what device you were trying, but I would try logging into the website first to verify your password and then try restarting any apps or devices that still arent working properly

Live chat is normally a good option but on the page NOW TV - Get in touch it says

You dont specify what device you were trying, but I would try logging into the website first to verify your password and then try restarting any apps or devices that still arent working properly
It will not work on any of my devices (ATV-4K, 2 LG Smart TV's & iPhone and iPad) over my broadband or 4G and I cannot login on any app or via their website, I cannot even log in to their forum as I keep getting this message: "Unable to connect to sign in, please try again later".

So bad that you cannot email or phone them, I have a 6 month pass that was activated the beginning of the month and was working fine.

Youve done the right thing in trying lots of devices but thats a strange error message

If you can visit the website then the error message if you mistype the password is very explicit
If your broadband router / ISP was at fault then using 4G on the phone would still work
If one app was at fault then the other devices would still work and its easy to restart that app

So the only thing left is that their own systems are not working to log you in - but its not down for everyone - so until you can contact them you just have to hope they realise and fix it

@mij: I just logged-in to the NowTV website -- no issues that I could see. I'll check my LG TV later. The StreamID data only seems to be available on the (LG) NowTV app. I see a value of 7839 if I press any of the playback controls whilst streaming. The feature might work on the app. on Samsung TVs -- someone with a suitable TV can advise -- but it doesn't work on NowTV boxes. LG TVs only stream at 25fs (no idea why) and only the NowTV boxes do 50fs. One other difference that I see is that on the LG TV there's a couple of seconds of low quality picture as a programme starts to stream before it ramps-up to HD (I have the Boost pass) but I don't see the issue if I use my NowTV box.

I had a funny last Friday. The last of three programmes that we watched lost its surround sound audio, even though it was listed as being 5.1. When I re-checked the stuff that we'd watched earlier that had 5.1 audio, that had disappeared too! I was all set to dig-out my NowTV box to test things the following day, but when I checked the app. on the LG TV everything was back to normal.

It could be that there are some issues affecting some people (you, me). You could try creating a new NowTV account and use that. If that works, you can then use the chat facility to contact the NowTV bods. to enlist their help. If a second account fails though, then there must be something very local to you going on.

Clem

I've lost surround sound on my PS4 since the update at beginning of February, I have no issues on the NowTV stick. Nowtv has got issues at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom