NEWS: NOW TV Boost adds Full HD and 5.1 audio

I've not found a better way.

(And don't you have Google...?! :rotfl: )

If you have a TV that supports GoogleCast will it stream at 1080p/5.1 with the Boost subscription?

my Sony AF9 Android TV had a firmware update today and am suddenly able to Cast NOWTV from my iPad. There is no resolution indication on the iPad or on the TV when casting.

no information if it will boost to 1080p/5.1 on NowTV’s website under FAQ’s.

I wondered what some other people's opinions are on the quality of the Superbowl on BBC One HD in 1080i/25hz Vs 1080p/50 on Sky Sports Main Event with boost pass?

I definitely think that the image is now sharper on NowTV with boost pass and also the motion is better due to the true 50 FPS progressive 1080 Vs 25 FPS interlaced (50 half frames - fields) 1080.

I prefer the punditry team on BBC though.

I have the NowTV Roku stick. On my mobile device i can see Cast icon to the NowTV stick. Is there anyway to turn this off via settings on NowTV stick as don’t want this option?

I checked and tried many settings including Advanced.

Anyone using a PS4 with boost please ? Definitely getting 5.1 surround sound but sounds slightly odd almost like no LFE channel. Can't work out if it's something Pcm conveyed to DD or direct DD.

Not sure how to describe it - sounds much bette than non boost but sometimes sounds like some bass effects missing

I have the NowTV Roku stick. On my mobile device i can see Cast icon to the NowTV stick. Is there anyway to turn this off via settings on NowTV stick as don’t want this option?

I checked and tried many settings including Advanced.

Not that I know of I'm afraid.

Anyone using a PS4 with boost please ? Definitely getting 5.1 surround sound but sounds slightly odd almost like no LFE channel. Can't work out if it's something Pcm conveyed to DD or direct DD.

Not sure how to describe it - sounds much bette than non boost but sometimes sounds like some bass effects missing

Do you have you PS4 sound and screen settings > audio output set to HDMI and format priority Bitstream Dolby?

Just a bit of information regarding the nowtv app on appletv. Nowtv released the app in Ireland and Italy but not uk for whatever reason. Interesting discussion going on here. I find it a joke that there able to do this.

It's about time it was updated, the interface is terrible and not being to use the boost pass on an Apple TV is 💩

one of the guys on nowtv community just tweeted them asking what’s the situation regarding this and they replied with this.

Thanks for your feedback. We are currently working on launching this version of the app in the UK soon. However we have no solid date as of yet. Sorry for the frustration.

And yet as you can see in the nowtv thread I posted a person called nadine posted yesterday it wasn’t on the radar, a complete joke.

Does LG OLEDC7 support Boost quality for NowTV?

thank u
Yes but not 50 FPS on Sky Sports Main Event & Premier League.

It only took us till the year 2020 for 1080p to become standard. How long before we say 4K, then HDR. :rotfl::rotfl:

As an unrelated aside is anybody having problems with NowTV freezing today? Been watching the football and it has binned out quite a few times. All other streaming via the stick have been fine so don't think it's our hardware or internet connection.

Okay, here's an update regarding the problem we'd been experiencing that nobody else really cared about... :rotfl:

I whined to NowTV support about the live sports freezing - it was typically a few times per football match, for example, and could be reset by exiting and restarting the programme from the guide. It was so bad during one game we gave up and watched some Mrs. Maisel and Bosch in 4K instead so it didn't appear to be an issue with our internet or AV setup. The Entertainment on demand content also played perfectly so the problem just seemed to be with live (50fps?) programming.

Anyway after a few weeks of back and forth via email they apologised for the buffering and seemed to imply it was an underlying issue with the Boost service. As compensation they offered a £3 refund for our last Boost pass or a free 1 month sports pass - given those options we took the sports pass!

Since then we've not renewed the Boost and haven't experienced any freezing at all. Coincidence? Might be. Something slightly wrong with the Boost service? Who knows... :)

Anyway the moral of this story might be that if you're also experiencing glitches get in touch with the customer services team. It's a real shame as the upgrade was good but it was just starting to get frustrating so we'll see how we tolerate viewing without it.

Okay, here's an update regarding the problem we'd been experiencing that nobody else really cared about... :rotfl:

I whined to NowTV support about the live sports freezing - it was typically a few times per football match, for example, and could be reset by exiting and restarting the programme from the guide. It was so bad during one game we gave up and watched some Mrs. Maisel and Bosch in 4K instead so it didn't appear to be an issue with our internet or AV setup. The Entertainment on demand content also played perfectly so the problem just seemed to be with live (50fps?) programming.

Anyway after a few weeks of back and forth via email they apologised for the buffering and seemed to imply it was an underlying issue with the Boost service. As compensation they offered a £3 refund for our last Boost pass or a free 1 month sports pass - given those options we took the sports pass!

Since then we've not renewed the Boost and haven't experienced any freezing at all. Coincidence? Might be. Something slightly wrong with the Boost service? Who knows... :)

Anyway the moral of this story might be that if you're also experiencing glitches get in touch with the customer services team. It's a real shame as the upgrade was good but it was just starting to get frustrating so we'll see how we tolerate viewing without it.
I was wondering whether to save some cash and dump Sky Q in favour of this, but glitches with the boost service would definitely be a deal breaker. I’d rather suffer higher bills than crashing out of a match especially as they obviously haven’t given you a proper explanation or said it is fixed.
You clearly didn’t get much response here either, but you’ve helped my decision making process a lot. Thanks.

However, just to play Devil's Advocate for a second, I do seem to be only person (on here at least) to have experienced this issue so it could just be me...

Just seems odd that every other streaming service we have, with much higher quality video, performs perfectly on our setup.

However, just to play Devil's Advocate for a second, I do seem to be only person (on here at least) to have experienced this issue so it could just be me...

Just seems odd that every other streaming service we have, with much higher quality video, performs perfectly on our setup.
We’re both guessing obviously, but I would bet they failed to build in sufficient resources for thousands of customers streaming the same live 1080p content.
The chances of your equipment or internet connection failing on only one service seems very unlikely to me.

I had issues with the NowTV stick freezing and that was before I had the boost. Ditched it and have been using a Roku stick with the boost. No issues with with freezing.

Ive had no problems before or with the boost. The PQ on Cinema is now very acceptable - comparable to other HD services. A few TV series on Ents arent in HD.

Given there's quite a few recent films on Cinema, including recent Disney properties, plus plenty of good series on Ents - GOT, Chernobyl, Britannia, plus recently Seal Team, The Outsider, and CYE, and The Trip and Westworld soon, and that passes can be had for £2.99 I think its now one of the better services.

Im having issues on the youview box, works perfect pretty much all the time on the now tv box but on the youview box sometimes i cannot even start the show and it just buffers.

Received another email from Now TV regarding doing another trial with them.

Might include the Boost feature perhaps?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom