NEWS: No Disney+ for UK at November launch

Nothing against the Netherlands at all, but to also not have Germany in that first Roll out.....
:facepalm:
(Of course, the Netherlands is known to be a Multi-Lingual Country, but over the Pond, guess Mickey doesn't realise that nowadays most Young Germans also speak excellent English)
(Interested if the Roll-out in the Netherlands will include versions dubbed into Dutch, or they'll rely on Subtitles, as, AFAIK, many Films in the Netherlands are shown this way)

<Shakes fist of mute frustration at Sky>

I keep hearing that it’s because of Sky TV...

...curious as to why that is?

I'm assuming one of two things here: 1) Disney are using the Netherlands to effectively 'soft launch' the service and judge likely server load in whatever setup they're using for this side of the pond. 2) Anyone want to bet the legal deals with the likes of Sky are causing headaches for putting movies on streaming services?

We already have DisneyLife streaming service in the UK, so if it is anything to do with Sky it must be over Star Wars/Marvel franchises.

It'll be down to licensing deals. For instance Sky in the UK has The Simpsons. When Disney+ launches in those other territories, 30 seasons of the animated show will be available, but it's a trickier situation over here. Maybe we'll just get a reduced selection of content when Disney+ does finally roll out in the UK?

I keep hearing that it’s because of Sky TV...

...curious as to why that is?
Probably because Sly still have the licence to broadcast Disney programs, or alternatively have paid a mint to keep them.
If Disney was serious, they would be the only service to have there own programs.

Maybe we'll just get a reduced selection of content when Disney+ does finally roll out in the UK?
I wouldn't be so eager to sign up if I thought we would be getting short changed compared to other territories. :(

I'd imagine The Mandalorian torrents are going to be getting hammered worldwide.

They were always going to anyway. Streaming wars are going to be interesting. Disney betting big that we will care passionately enough about Hawkeye series and other bit part characters in the MCU. Sure an Obi Wan series and the Mandalorian have piqued my interest. Outside of that, there is nothing in the Disney back catalogue that I simply must have on demand, all the time. Honestly, I think Apple and Disney could be in for a shock. They are not filling a gap in a market intelligently. They are barging into an already saturated marketplace.

Honestly, I think Apple and Disney could be in for a shock. They are not filling a gap in a market intelligently. They are barging into an already saturated marketplace.

Yeah, but both companies have the cash reserves to barge in late and end up taking over. Certainly wouldn’t be the first time Apple have done so (its kinda their thing at this point)

They were always going to anyway. Streaming wars are going to be interesting. Disney betting big that we will care passionately enough about Hawkeye series and other bit part characters in the MCU. Sure an Obi Wan series and the Mandalorian have piqued my interest. Outside of that, there is nothing in the Disney back catalogue that I simply must have on demand, all the time. Honestly, I think Apple and Disney could be in for a shock. They are not filling a gap in a market intelligently. They are barging into an already saturated marketplace.
I agree. Netflix & the like found a perfect niche, & offerings like Amazon Prime give plenty of other people's product, plus a bunch of their own. But that's money already being spent, & the offerings from Apple & Disney are, I feel, going to be too limited to make people want to pay yet another Monthly fee.
I'd rather buy their product, or one-time rent it; after all, there are not so many series I have watched that are so engaging that I go back for more than a couple of watches, and then spread out over a deal of time.

Netflix are claiming a huge spend on content but its not showing in the output. Apart from Stranger Things 3 there hasnt been much new stuff recently good enough for me to continue my sub - I wonder how many people just carry on with the sub through inertia.

For now I'll manage with Amazon, Itunes 4K movies, free to air broadcast, and physical disk, and hopefully Disney will come along before too long. There's also Apple to consider later in the year.

But no one is forcing anyone to subscribe to anything - if the service isnt too good then dont sign up!

Yeah, but both companies have the cash reserves to barge in late and end up taking over. Certainly wouldn’t be the first time Apple have done so (its kinda their thing at this point)

But I don't see what their cash reserves will do? They can throw money at content but it won't all be compelling. Netflix are deep in the hole having invested billions is content that varies from decent, to awful, to the rare bit of exceptional.

Also, the Apple announced shows look the worst kind of vanilla bullshit lol! Not sure who is interested in those formats. Like they are chasing middle America's cable crowd :rolleyes:

But I don't see what their cash reserves will do? They can throw money at content but it won't all be compelling. Netflix are deep in the hole having invested billions is content that varies from decent, to awful, to the rare bit of exceptional.
You don’t see what an abundance of cash will do when trying to break into a market?

Disney have a massive catalogue of content that lots of people love, and are consistently pumping out new stuff.

Also, the Apple announced shows look the worst kind of vanilla bullsh*t lol! Not sure who is interested in those formats. Like they are chasing middle America's cable crowd :rolleyes:

Damn, bet they are kicking themselves that they didn’t ask you who to target their shows at instead. :rotfl:

I personally quite like the look of some of it, I’ll certainly be giving both services a go

You don’t see what an abundance of cash will do when trying to break into a market?

Disney have a massive catalogue of content that lots of people love, and are consistently pumping out new stuff.

Damn, bet they are kicking themselves that they didn’t ask you who to target their shows at instead. :rotfl:

I personally quite like the look of some of it, I’ll certainly be giving both services a go

Enlighten me because I’m intrigued? Good morning America does nothing for me. Carpool Karaoke, no thanks.

And no, a pile of cash doesn’t guarantee a thing for Disney. They can pump out pepper Potts’s cookery show all they like it, it doesn’t excite me. And outside the marvel movies what of their back catalogue does anyone need on demand? Most households already have a ton of Disney movies they own anyway. Perhaps if you are a new parent and want to shut your kid up Disney+ will be a no brainier. One or two great Star Wars shows doesn’t warrant £150+ a year

Enlighten me because I’m intrigued? Good morning America does nothing for me. Carpool Karaoke, no thanks.

You’re not their only customer.

And no, a pile of cash doesn’t guarantee a thing for Disney.
Don’t remember saying it guaranteed anything

They can pump out pepper Potts’s cookery show all they like it, it doesn’t excite me.

Again, it’s not all about you.

And outside the marvel movies what of their back catalogue does anyone need on demand? Most households already have a ton of Disney movies they own anyway.

There are far more Disney movies I don’t own than I do, it’s as likely that there are plenty of people like me, just as much as you seem to think they are all like you.

Perhaps if you are a new parent and want to shut your kid up Disney+ will be a no brainier.
Yes my kids love Disney films and tv shows ( I don’t want to “shut them up” though)

One or two great Star Wars shows doesn’t warrant £150+ a year

Disney+ starts at $70 a year, where are you getting £150+ from?

Bravo. Your point of “it’s not about you” is a compelling one”. You’re clearly rooting for Disney and good luck to you both. Gonna take more than a Mandalorian trailer and ton of movies I already own to see me sold.

Bravo. Your point of “it’s not about you” is a compelling one”.
It’s a far more compelling point than “I don’t like it, therefore no-one else will want it either”

You’re clearly rooting for Disney and good luck to you both.
No more than you seem to be wringing your hands with excitement at the prospect of them failing and clinging to the hope that everyone feels the same as you.

Gonna take more than a Mandalorian trailer and ton of movies I already own to see me sold.

I’m willing to see what the offering is over here and will make a decision regarding long term subscription based upon what the offering is. You seem to have made your mind up before it’s even available.

You sound like my 7 year old daughter when offered a flavour of ice cream she has never tried and says “don’t like it” without giving it a chance.

Lol! Your fanboyism is very sweet.

I’ll attempt to push the convo on because you have failed to address any of the points I have made, choosing to instead liken me to a child.

Here is my issue with streaming platforms and their dogged drive towards dominance...

The very nature and business model will ultimately stifle and neuter creativity. Shows will be commissioned based on big data and what has succeeded in the past. Netflix, Disney, Apple...they will all be looking at what shows we watch the most, where we watched them to and gave up, where we rewound, where we paused. It will become a numbers game. You can and will likely accuse me of donning a tin foil hat but it’s happened with Disney and it’s handling of Star Wars. It’s exactly how Solo ended up being the most expensive movie of all time that will never be officially acknowledged. Hugely talented film makers not given the freedom to complete a project without corporate interference.

I’m cynical yes, I have every right to be. Does the idea of every facet of the MCU being explored excite me, no. I want innovation and creativity to shine. I love going to see Marvel movies, but I don’t cheer like a fool before they have even started.

Lol! Your fanboyism is very sweet.

I’m a fan of consuming content that I enjoy. If that makes me a fanboy then ok. Happy to have given you something to put a smile on your face within this thread though as you seem to be on such a downer.

I’ll attempt to push the convo on because you have failed to address any of the points I have made, choosing to instead liken me to a child.

This is the first post that you’ve made any point in that I can see. Every other post has just been “I don’t like it, no one should like it and I’m sure I’m right.” Which very much comes across like a 7 year old, hence my previous post.

Here is my issue with streaming platforms and their dogged drive towards dominance...

The very nature and business model will ultimately stifle and neuter creativity. Shows will be commissioned based on big data and what has succeeded in the past. Netflix, Disney, Apple...they will all be looking at what shows we watch the most, where we watched them to and gave up, where we rewound, where we paused. It will become a numbers game.
And this is different from every other media consumption based option how?

Give the majority lots that you believe they’ll enjoy to get their cash, throw in a little niche to entice the fringes.

You can and will likely accuse me of donning a tin foil hat but it’s happened with Disney and it’s handling of Star Wars. It’s exactly how Solo ended up being the most expensive movie of all time that will never be officially acknowledged. Hugely talented film makers not given the freedom to complete a project without corporate interference.
If the aluminium based food covering cap fits....

I’m cynical yes, I have every right to be. Does the idea of every facet of the MCU being explored excite me, no. I want innovation and creativity to shine. I love going to see Marvel movies, but I don’t cheer like a fool before they have even started.

I’m not cheering like a fool, I’m hopeful that we will see some quality new content from both Disney and Apple. If not, they won’t get my cash. I’m such a fanboy.

Far better than being cynical and whiny before the new content is even available, and pricing revealed.

Not like you to collect things ;)
Just noticed this, stalk much? Really added to the discussion.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom