NEWS: New Sony Walkman in the works?

It would indeed have to be really special considering all smart phones and even some smart watches make for excellent little media players with a broad choice of apps, services and peripherals.

Launching a product such as this even if it is supposed to be a special anniversary edition these days seems more like an act of financial and product suicide. Might have made more sense to stick an app called Walkman on their phones.

Launching a product such as this even if it is supposed to be a special anniversary edition these days seems more like an act of financial and product suicide. Might have made more sense to stick an app called Walkman on their phones.
Sony have been making digital audio players for years, since the proprietary Atrac codec and Sonic Stage software days to the modern players led by the flagship WM1Z dap. Yes it is niche but the portable audio market is still alive, particularly in South East Asia

It would indeed have to be really special considering all smart phones and even some smart watches make for excellent little media players with a broad choice of apps, services and peripherals.

Well they have been including the App for years in the Sony premium Xperia range,and were very early adopters of hi res in smart phones. Generations of their phones used the Walkman logo . Now they have a very nice range of Hi res music players starting at 160 stl called the NWA series. I have both the A25 and the A35 and current production is A40 series. Each range is a dedicated non android music player with increasing functions added.. the A30, provided touch screen and a slightly larger screen and the A40 allows the device be used as a feedthrough DAC. Even the earlier A20 had built in active noise cancelling in ear buds,with the electronics inside the player,as well as a nice FM Radio.
At the moment I am confused as to whether the A35 driving my Sony MDR1 Headphones, is clearer than the same music file played from my Samsung S7 via the Cyrus Soundkey and same headphones. The Samsung using a USB AudioPlayer Pro application,which bypasses the android code.The Soundkey is certainly louder.

Last edited:
It's horses for courses. I have always loved a 2nd device for music playback as it doesn't sap your phones battery, sounds better, better amplification, better battery life, don't get interrupted with message updates, dedicated balanced output etc

I currently have an NW-ZX1, was rather hoping for a replacement for the NW-WM1A this year, but looks like a ZX300 replacement (ZX500 / ZX507)

The Walkman Blog: Sony to Launch NW-ZX500 Walkman as successor to ZX300

Have a NW-A105 16Gb in Red coming from Japan. Didn't want to risk the EU volume lock. Hoping it should arrive in next couple of weeks.

Was thinking of importing the 64GB A107 version but all my music will be on my 512GB mSD so no real benefit for the price incease.

Just driving Shure SE846 IEM's so low output power not an issue. I've also had 3 DAP's now with Balanced output and minimal audio improvement with my SE846's so favoured smaller/lighter DAP with longer battery life over the balanced ZX507. Also less than half the price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom