NEWS: Netflix Ultra Membership threatens an 'HDR Tax'

I can't believe people pay 50-75 quid a month for sky and the toys are starting to come out of the pram because Netflix might be after another couple of quid a month on top of a tenner the current maximum package costs.
So to make it crystal clear if you're struggling with my anecdote, I choose to pay ten pounds a month for Netflix because I think it's very good value. Whereas I don't even want to entertain what sky command for their top package. Yes there's sports etc but it's not about that for me. I simply refuse to give companies like them my money. I find it insulting that they'll give you a much better deal than other people if you threaten to cancel or kick up a stink. There should be a fixed price plan to stop this abhorrent practice. So yes, I won't give them the time of day.

On that note, Netflix and Sky have partnered so Netflix will be an app on Sky Q soon; the suggestion was that if you could save some money on your Netflix subscription if you were also a Q subscriber. Whether the Netflix app will support 4k and HDR remains to be seen
UHD was confirmed at announcement. Nothing on HDR which I expect will be HLG.

It's not good enough in general, but there are a couple of exceptions that show it can be good. Better Call Saul looks amazing. Probably the best looking thing on netflix even though it's SDR. And Chef's Table looks great in HDR. But generally, the quality is not good enough.

Yup some stuff on Netflix looks good but I still don't think theres much which comfortably beats 1080p blu-ray upscaled decently.

I think this whole 4k/HDR fad is a bit OTT. The implementations of most 4k (low bit-rate) or people playing them on small screens which realistically will struggle to meet DPI requirements given viewing distances is a all a bit meh.

Similarly with HDR, I can see some HDR content looking quite punchy but then I also see some which arguably look worse than the SDR. For example, OLEDs can't reach the punchy highlights whilst LCDs struggle to keep control of the highlights given the backlight has to be at 100 and invariably introduces banding, panel imperfections and halo effect.

I feel like HDR and 4k just aren't quite there yet to facilitate paying a premium for a service which is DEFINITELY hit and miss for HDR implementation especially. Maybe I'm missing something but nor HDR or 4k seem to be really impressing me to the extent how some people make it sound like its the holy grail. I'd easily trade HDR + 4k for a dolby atmos speakers in ceiling for example setup but that seems to get hardly any attention.

The 4k I'd be more tempted to budge on because there is a slight improvement between streamed 1080p and streamed 4k.

------------------------

On the value side of things, Netflix even with a price hike is still easily better than most of whats on offer. It'd b nice if the UK library had a few more of the US shows/movies though.............

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is. 4k streaming is visibly better than 1080, that's my opinion.

Is there hype about 4k and HDR? Yes, but I'd still go for it over HD if there's a choice.

Point in case, the BBC world cup UHD trial, it's had its issues but you can't possibly argue the picture detail isn't better than the HD alternative

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is. 4k streaming is visibly better than 1080, that's my opinion.

Is there hype about 4k and HDR? Yes, but I'd still go for it over HD if there's a choice.

Point in case, the BBC world cup UHD trial, it's had its issues but you can't possibly argue the picture detail isn't better than the HD alternative

yup 4k is amazing it totally changes all the content and makes it beautiful honestly as soon as i saw 4k i was like wtf is this real life then i tried to touch the footballers on the tv then realised its actually tv lmao thats how gud 4k is...simiarly with the hdr omg sunlight was so realistic i actually looked directly at it and for a second im sure i went blind

4k + hdr >> all

I agree though, I'd also go for 1080p over 480p lol.

The cynic in me thinks they never deliver the perfect package as then there is nothing better to pay more to upgrade to!

Just like all broadcasters

I just watched, unsolved : the murders of Tupac and Biggie, the picture is very very pleasing, no one does 1080p like Netflix when we have a good source...in fact it's more pleasing than some so called 4k sources

When it is a price rise for nothing other than greed, it's the way to hit them where it hurts as they only think of $$$$$

That old chestnut - a price rise of a couple of quid has nothing to do with piracy!
It's still a lot cheaper than one 4k disc. And a relative bargain. However, £25 for new releases is mad so I can see those sort of prices fuelling piracy.

Sky rips it's customers off, so it's ok if Netflix rips it customers off as well?
I don’t feel ripped of by Sky at all.

no one is ever "ripped off" by subscriptions services because you have a choice, buy or don't buy but whether it is value for your money for you is a different kettle of fish..and only you can decide that!

no one is ever "ripped off" by subscriptions services because you have a choice, buy or don't buy but whether it is value for your money for you is a different kettle of fish..and only you can decide that!

Agree. No product or service that is optional is a rip off. If you want it you pay the price being asked. If that price is too high for you or you can’t afford it then you don’t buy it.
Simples.

Alarm for Netflix as shares plummet on worse-than-expected subscriber growth

I wonder if this will impact the decision to charge extra for HDR, i currently do not have a HDR tv but it is 4K I feel with the quality of some content they show I would not pay extra for HDR, losing screens would be annoying also, If they upped the bit rate then maybe it would be worth it, but not as it is IMO.

Alarm for Netflix as shares plummet on worse-than-expected subscriber growth

I wonder if this will impact the decision to charge extra for HDR, i currently do not have a HDR tv but it is 4K I feel with the quality of some content they show I would not pay extra for HDR, losing screens would be annoying also, If they upped the bit rate then maybe it would be worth it, but not as it is IMO.
To be honest, I would kind of like the option of 4k SDR as some of the HDR is so bad it ruins the picture.

To be honest, I would kind of like the option of 4k SDR as some of the HDR is so bad it ruins the picture.

I guess i can say I've been lucky in that respect then, Though i did watch one episode of Luke cage season 1 where the sky looked awful even in just SDR, it was like really bad posterization mixed with the awful Grain they love to add.

It's a shame you can't toggle it in the menu.

I guess i can say I've been lucky in that respect then, Though i did watch one episode of Luke cage season 1 where the sky looked awful even in just SDR, it was like really bad posterization mixed with the awful Grain they love to add.

It's a shame you can't toggle it in the menu.
The marvel stuff is truly awful. I don't know if you've had the chance to see it in HDR but the amount of grain they artificially add isn't helped at all by HDR.

The marvel stuff is truly awful. I don't know if you've had the chance to see it in HDR but the amount of grain they artificially add isn't helped at all by HDR.

I have seen a few scenes on the Tv's in my store, I really do wish they would stop, it almost looks like it moves sometimes like a infestation of bugs in the screen, Yet watching Altered carbon on the same Tv and its stunning.

I have seen a few scenes on the Tv's in my store, I really do wish they would stop, it almost looks like it moves sometimes like a infestation of bugs in the screen, Yet watching Altered carbon on the same Tv and its stunning.
Altered Carbon does look spectacular, especially in the saturated colours of the elite world. I think it still suffers from problems in dark scenes due to lack of bandwidth. I really hope they improve in this area.

The curious thing is that HDR was added to 4K TVs as it was felt the resolution change was not sufficient in its own right to get people to change. So here we have Netflix seemingly deciding that 4K without HDR will encourage people to move up a payment tier.

Netflix's 4k isn't (in my opinion) sufficiently superior to their HD material to warrant the upgrade. So to me, the 4K without HDR option is pointless.

Well I'm starting to feel a little bit pissed off. I've watched a few things now and the quality in the darker areas has been a complete shambles. 'mama' and 'the alienist'. After the first 5 minutes of the alienist I've had to turn it off. I can't stand looking at little squares. If this is going to infect the rest of the picture quality in other films then I'm chucking it. Content is king but only up to a certain point. On a 65 inch screen it's unwatchable and it doesn't matter how good the programme is when it looks as bad as this.

Well I'm starting to feel a little bit pissed off. I've watched a few things now and the quality in the darker areas has been a complete shambles. 'mama' and 'the alienist'. After the first 5 minutes of the alienist I've had to turn it off. I can't stand looking at little squares. If this is going to infect the rest of the picture quality in other films then I'm chucking it. Content is king but only up to a certain point. On a 65 inch screen it's unwatchable and it doesn't matter how good the programme is when it looks as bad as this.
Even the best looking shows can struggle with dark scenes as the compression can be really obvious. Definitely time for netflix to up their game, especially if coupled with a price increase.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom