NEWS: Netflix Ultra Membership threatens an 'HDR Tax'

It's still good value compared to sky. They just need to push the boundaries a bit with the picture quality if they're targeting enthusiasts with an HDR tier.

I guess it all depends on what you watch, I find myself watching mainly their Originals and those more or less are now mainly in 4K and usually in as well HDR (and IMO there HDR is superb). I dumped my cable sub and at the rate they keep adding shows, at least one new one a week, foreign movies and shows and lots of Anime even £17 seems a bargain.

I think Netflix is being a bit greedy and I wont be going for it if a price increase is added, it's fine just as it is as, only watch on one device in 4k.

You will find no matter how cheap something is there will always be some that still will want it for free and will pirate it.

I'd say with the advent of Spotify et al music piracy has dramatically decreased. A dirt cheap way to access pretty much any music you like. Music piracy simply isn't worth the risk or hassle.

If there was a movie version of Spotify at a sensible cost (Filmify?) the same thing would happen.

Piracy is evolving though. As internet speeds are increasing and storage is getting cheaper the quality of content is improving. Want the 24/192 FLAC files of the remastered Appetite for Destruction album? They were up a day after release. Want the 4K HDR REMUX of Ready Player One with Atmos TrueHD? It will be available a couple of days after the disc is released.

People don't like having to subscribe to 2 or 3 different services to get the content they want.

I guess it will come down to the content available and whether subscribers see a value to paying more. Me, I'm quite happy with HD, and, as my nephew has added me to his subscription, I don't pay anything :) I don't think though that the price hike should really come as a surprise. Something like this was always going to happen, once you have enough of a subscriber base that can't or won't do without Netflix. Expect something similar from Amazon too at some point, I suspect.

Clem

That will be me leaving Netflix basically.

As others have said, If they start releasing regular 4k films (other than their own) then it would be worth it.

Been thinking about cancelling due to lack of 4K content I want anyway.

Don't they just use BT infrastructure?
Yes, they don't own the satellites either, but they still pay for everything else as well as the services from those platforms.

People don't like having to subscribe to 2 or 3 different services to get the content they want.
I started of subbing just to BSB when there was SKY as well, when they merge I stayed with them till the sub went up and up.
I now sub to Amazon. There stuff on Netflix I like to watch also on Sky but it does not give me the right to pirate there station.
A lot of people like some of the cars they show on Top Gear but it does not mean because they're not cheap it's alright to go and steal one.

Even if they brought the prices down there will always be an element albeit smaller will still want and find ways to get free.

Yes, they don't own the satellites either, but they still pay for everything else as well as the services from those platforms.

Until we get FTTP from open reach we will always be limited on bandwidth.

It's still good value compared to sky. They just need to push the boundaries a bit with the picture quality if they're targeting enthusiasts with an HDR tier.

Yup this is something I can agree with as Netflix UHD HDR content is rather hit n miss . Hell just offer an ultra premium ( one device ) service for those with the bandwidth and gear to appreciate it . If they just want to up the price for more of the same then I'm happy to go back to the HD subscription as it must be at least 75% of what i watch on Netflix .

Netflix should use 4k hdr for movies also, not just some of their own series...

I will deffo cancel if this comes in Netflix shows are more about quantity than quality recently.

Dear Netflix.

15 bitrate is not 4k...
Youtube is the only one that gives full bandwidth for 4K.

i'm sure its around 25mbps, either way. the best looking 4k image just sharpness alone has to be given to altered carbon. it blown out every 4k disc i've watched so far

i'm sure its around 25mbps, either way. the best looking 4k image just sharpness alone has to be given to altered carbon. it blown out every 4k disc i've watched so far
Nah it's definitely 15.**Mbps as that's what I get when I pressed the info button when streaming 4K HDR things on Netflix. I think they recommend a 25Mbps connection to guarantee you can stream it though

I rarely watch anything on Netflix greater than HD in SDR, as the best content is non-Netflix movies... I rarely watch TV shows, which is Netflix's forte...

The only reason I have the 4K service is for the mutiple profiles/accounts/streams as it is a family account for the household...

Streaming services will only get more expensive as features increase and competition is removed as discs die and streaming services consolidate...

Bluray is still good value given it's superior quality and how cheap it is to buy movies older than 18 months... This news keeps discs relevant for a little while longer...

Most movies I watch were shot before 2018, so are natively SDR anyway...

Until we get FTTP from open reach we will always be limited on bandwidth.

That’s only the connection between you and the exchange. You then need expensive fat pipes connecting your exchange to the core network and even fatter ones to provide that core network and interconnect with the rest of the world.

It’s too expensive to give everybody dedicated bandwidth, but that’s what it really needs for everybody wanting to do video on demand. The approach at the moment is that your 100Mbps (for example) connection is shared by 50 other users. If every body uses it at the same time, you get a max 2Mbps each. This is known as the contention ratio. More expensive connections might see you sharing with 20 other users instead.

Nah it's definitely 15.**Mbps as that's what I get when I pressed the info button when streaming 4K HDR things on Netflix. I think they recommend a 25Mbps connection to guarantee you can stream it though

Yeah, same here. TV App has a netflix option for data rate as does many other I think if they hit the info button. Also, I bought an app that can supposedly measure data through the router and seems that Apple 4K and BT 4K are up around 25, +/- a bit.

Never sure I have it set up correctly though but chalk and cheese between them. Video bit rate would be more interesting (well, codecs etc. but...)

My router is not one of the ones that I can update with third party software that can give me the correct stats so rely on this app.

I find that at that rate, 15 mb/s, Netflix are just the wrong side of Ok, good enough 4K but not must have. Netflix is now carrying Planet Earth II, if you have the 4K disk of that, you can see a comparison to see what is what.

But, most people will probably pay it if it happens. It is what they do. Shiny new box, set needs HDR, pay the man/woman. Can boast how good it looks down the pub later. Seen too many people watching SD and happy with it when a better option is available.

Part of the 4K movement is HDR. It’s wrapped up together. It would be like offering a HD tier in black & white and one in colour.

They’ll do whatever they do. Doesn’t really bother me too much. I would be unlikely to upgrade to the HDR tier until there’s a vast majority of things I watch in hat category.

Netflix don’t have that much in HDR really that I’ve noticed. Most of the things I’ve watched recently says 4K. The last thing I watched in HDR was Stranger Things and I think that was Dolby Vision HDR.

I think we are forgetting that server cost's have risen, same as production costs for in-house TV and movie production has also risen, licence for acquiring films to be shown on the platform have also risen... The end cost will be passed on to customer.if the customer doesn't think its worth the money to them,then they simply won't have it! But when all said and done Netflix is a business they are keeping shareholders happy, more investment and rising costs will always be applicable to any service... All we see is the end cost, and not the rising costs from the business point of view.

Two expensive, I mean come on, The new legends of monkey says it all really :)

I might be alone on this but I really enjoyed it... nostalgic about the original !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom